Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

That yellow tips is very interesting and that tenuis is BLUE,wow !! 

Yeah, I really like the tenuis. Here's a picture from when I first got it. I think it just needs time to adjust, and hopefully I'll get the additional color on the new growth tips.

Blue Tenuis

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Holy moly...now that is a might fine grouping of luscious Acans...and quite an exceptional plate coral, too!  :) 

Thanks - I just love the acans, and that plate has been my favorite ever since I got it. But I've stopped feeding it because it grows so fast. It's pretty much filled in most of the available space, so I'm going to have to deal with it sooner or later. I found a really old article about propagating plate corals by scoring the underside with a rotary cutter, and then cutting the pieces apart with bone cutters. This one is getting big enough to try it, although I'd be really scared of ending up with nothing but a bunch of dead frags :o

1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

I can never and I mean NEVER keep blue coral colored up.. Its coloring up nicely though. How is that one acro you just got holding up ? 

The Boba Fett in the 10g is still doing fine. The red planet STN'd overnight, but everything else is holding up well!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, that's awesome! Is it going over your nps pico? And thank you :)

Yes, I've had it over the little NPS pico for almost a year. It's a great light for all sorts of stuff. 

Your acans look like a candy store :wub:

• Like 1

I got my first ATI test results back the other day. Everything looked right on track, other than high aluminum, which has been high in this tank for a while. Water changes have brought it down from what it was at before but it's still elevated. Interestingly, though, iron was almost at zero, even though it's been high in previous Triton tests. So I don't know if that means I've finally gotten the iron out of the system, or it's a difference in the test systems. 

I'll probably alternate between ATI and Triton test just so I can compare results from month to month.

The only other parameters that weren't right on track were nitrates (20 instead of the 15 I had measured, not a real big deal), and vanadium at zero. Dosing some vanadium was the ATI's only recommendation other than reducing the aluminum and nitrates.

I ordered some Panta Lith, a new product that's supposed to eliminate aluminum and tin. It will be interesting experiment to try it and see if it takes care of the problem. It's been available in Europe for a while and has gotten good reviews.

I'm not a believer in chasing numbers, but I have wondered for a long time why I don't get better PE in this tank. I'm guessing it could be the aluminum, so it's worth a try to see what happens.

• Like 2

I went to the lfs last week for peppermint shrimp to eat the aiptasia in the 10g and 30g tanks (it worked!), and while I was there, I noticed these really pretty red sea fans. So I got one! :D

It's doing well after a week in the tank so...

Sea Fan

Sea Fan

• Like 13
  • Wow 4
On 11/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, teenyreef said:

I went to the lfs last week for peppermint shrimp to eat the aiptasia in the 10g and 30g tanks (it worked!), and while I was there, I noticed these really pretty red sea fans. So I got one! :D

Sea Fan

Sea Fan

You can't possibly walk into a LFS selling something like this, and not leave without it!! You sure it's not a plastic ornament? :D 

Damn, wish my LFS were like this!

On 11/15/2017 at 1:58 PM, Orangutran said:

You can't possibly walk into a LFS selling something like this, and not leave without it!! You sure it's not a plastic ornament? :D 

Damn, wish my LFS were like this!

Haha, I know, right? There was no way I was walking out without it. The owner told me he got it from a new vendor from Florida. He just ordered one piece to test things out and got one that was big enough to fill a five gallon bucket! I hope he orders more from that vendor :D

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

The clowns laid eggs on one of the front zoa rocks. Free fish food, I guess, because there's no way I can raise them :rolleyes:

It's hard to get good pictures of them because I have to hold the camera at an angle to view them, which causes distortion in the pictures. This one is about the best I could get:

Clownfish eggs

I got a short video of them taking care of the eggs:

• Like 13
On 11/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, teenyreef said:

Sea Fan

Sea Fan

Ooh, what lfs? Purely filter feeder I'm guessing?

• Like 1

Those latest photos...just WOW!  This tank is stunning and I just love the mix of corals in there with so many vibrant colors.  Everything is looking super healthy.  That new sea whip is beautiful!  I'm glad it seems to be doing well.  I'm assuming its non-photosynthetic, so hopefully it does well long term.  I forget, do you feed anything specifically for the corals?

• Like 2
On 11/20/2017 at 9:05 AM, DaveFason said:

The tank is looking great John. You may need to start selling corals! :P 

Lol maybe some day :)

On 11/20/2017 at 9:35 AM, Jimmeh Lee said:

No disrespect to your 10, but the corals in here :wub:

Thanks, I think the colors are starting to get pretty good. This is definitely my favorite tank now :)

• Like 2
On 11/22/2017 at 6:38 PM, kimberbee said:

Looking AMAZING!!

Thanks, Kimber! 

On 11/22/2017 at 6:48 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I think your light is a little crooked B) but seriously,the tank looks super super happy !! 

Ha ha, you noticed that too! Things like that drive me crazy but I didn't notice it until I was all done taking pictures. 

On 11/22/2017 at 6:57 PM, Moolelo said:

Ooh, what lfs? Purely filter feeder I'm guessing?

That's a great question. I have to admit I didn't ask when I got it, but it looks like a filter feeder to me. :blush:

On 11/25/2017 at 3:54 AM, Felicia said:

Those latest photos...just WOW!  This tank is stunning and I just love the mix of corals in there with so many vibrant colors.  Everything is looking super healthy.  That new sea whip is beautiful!  I'm glad it seems to be doing well.  I'm assuming its non-photosynthetic, so hopefully it does well long term.  I forget, do you feed anything specifically for the corals?

See above :)

I think it's a filter feeder, but I think it will be ok because I already feed a lot, and I feed reef roids at least twice a week. So far it looks fine and growing after more than two weeks, so I'm cautiously optimistic. 

On 11/30/2017 at 10:42 PM, spectra said:

Looks like a red finger gorgonian and yes NPS...........hopefully you keep it looking that way Teeny ;) 

Hopefully so! It's still doing well after the third week fingerscrossed

Last night I noticed that the Hawkins Echinata had been knocked off (probably by a snail) and it fell right on top of the red digitata. Here's the echinata after I glued it back on - there's no damage that I can see:

Hawkins Echinata

This is a picture of the red dragon acro, which is growing out nicely. You can see the red digitata in the background on the left. It obviously lost the fight with the hawkins...the light purple spots used to be bright red.

Red Dragon Acropora

I just love all the little things that pop up in the live rock even after all this time. I found a little clam in the rocks behind the Project X fungia. It's hard to see him because his shell is covered in coralline, but you can see the white mantle and the mouth.

Project X Fungia and clam

I feed the dendro almost every day and it's doing very well. There are now two big babies and a couple little buds.

Dendro

I took a picture of the JF Fox Flame, but all the surrounding corals looked so good I didn't crop the picture at all. The fox flame is in the center with the Purple Passion Acro to it's left. On the top, left to right: elkhorn stag, blue "showpiece" stylo, red finger gorgonion (going on four weeks now!), JF red setosa. On the bottom, left to right: green slimer, katropora, pc rainbow acro, and CR electric miyagi tort.

JF Fox Flame and friends

• Like 7
  • Wow 2