Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

jedimasterben

I had two RW-8 in my 40 for, I think, a month and a half or so, and while they were a bit strong with both at full power, the only useful mode would not allow to change the maximum output, nor would the pumps alternate, both are synced and always run together. They also did lose output fairly quickly without cleaning, which is very strange, I've not had that issue ever before, and my Jeboa returns have never been cleaned and still put out the same as the day I got them.

If you do go that route (and I would definitely get RW-8 and not the piddly 4 lol) I would purchase a separate controller for them that would allow for alternating them and setting maximum flow.

I currently have a pair of Tunze 6045 in the rear bottom right of the tank pointing across the tank and under one rock and flow is pretty awesome, I get basically no detritus on the starboard and very little on the rocks. They're also very algae ridden (my rabbitfish is on strike, the bastard) and don't seem to have any less flow.

• Like 1

Wow this is a lot to take in lol

It's kind of ridiculous that this thread is on page 5 and I don't even have a tank yet :lol:

• Like 8

That's when you know you're good!

Hmmm, considering that the reason this thread exists is because I crashed my tank by running alk into all night long, I don't know that I'm all that good. But thanks anyway ;)

• Like 3

I had two RW-8 in my 40 for, I think, a month and a half or so, and while they were a bit strong with both at full power, the only useful mode would not allow to change the maximum output, nor would the pumps alternate, both are synced and always run together. They also did lose output fairly quickly without cleaning, which is very strange, I've not had that issue ever before, and my Jeboa returns have never been cleaned and still put out the same as the day I got them.

If you do go that route (and I would definitely get RW-8 and not the piddly 4 lol) I would purchase a separate controller for them that would allow for alternating them and setting maximum flow.

I currently have a pair of Tunze 6045 in the rear bottom right of the tank pointing across the tank and under one rock and flow is pretty awesome, I get basically no detritus on the starboard and very little on the rocks. They're also very algae ridden (my rabbitfish is on strike, the bastard) and don't seem to have any less flow.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. In a perfect world, I'd stick with the MP-xx pumps since they can be programmed to work together. In a 40g cube, I think all I'd need for the second pump would be an MP-10. But with the limited space on the dry side, I'll just have to wait until the tank's in place to see just how hard it would be to fit one in.

I'm currently leaning towards the Tunze pumps for the reasons you mentioned. The price is right on the Jebaos, but the most common complaint seems to be the inability to control the max speed effectively. I know about the trick of running them on a 12v power supply, but still...and given what you've reported about their ability to maintain flow when they get dirty, that's kind of a big deal. I mean, who wants to constantly pull pumps out of the tank every couple weeks to clean them?

Although, I clean up my MP10 wet side at least once a week, it's part of my regular algae scraping routine. But that's just because it's easily accessible and only takes a minute to do it. If it was buried in the back corner of the tank it would get cleaned about once a year :rolleyes:

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Thanks for the feedback, Ben. In a perfect world, I'd stick with the MP-xx pumps since they can be programmed to work together. In a 40g cube, I think all I'd need for the second pump would be an MP-10. But with the limited space on the dry side, I'll just have to wait until the tank's in place to see just how hard it would be to fit one in.

I'm currently leaning towards the Tunze pumps for the reasons you mentioned. The price is right on the Jebaos, but the most common complaint seems to be the inability to control the max speed effectively. I know about the trick of running them on a 12v power supply, but still...and given what you've reported about their ability to maintain flow when they get dirty, that's kind of a big deal. I mean, who wants to constantly pull pumps out of the tank every couple weeks to clean them?

Although, I clean up my MP10 wet side at least once a week, it's part of my regular algae scraping routine. But that's just because it's easily accessible and only takes a minute to do it. If it was buried in the back corner of the tank it would get cleaned about once a year :rolleyes:

Yeah, I didn't think the RW would suffer from the same slowdown issue as the WP series would, since it has the much larger intake grates, but alas, they did.

I had two Tunze 6095 in my last tank with one of their shit controllers, but I really didn't like how limited the programming was on them, it was almost like the Jebao series are, but through a Windows program that looked like it was designed for Windows 95 :lol:

I think their new controllers suck less, but my 6045 are A/C (gasp, I went against my 'no more A/C pumps' rule lol), so I don't worry about that :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't think the RW would suffer from the same slowdown issue as the WP series would, since it has the much larger intake grates, but alas, they did.

I had two Tunze 6095 in my last tank with one of their shit controllers, but I really didn't like how limited the programming was on them, it was almost like the Jebao series are, but through a Windows program that looked like it was designed for Windows 95 :lol:

I think their new controllers suck less, but my 6045 are A/C (gasp, I went against my 'no more A/C pumps' rule lol), so I don't worry about that :)

Do you just turn them on and off and leave them alone otherwise?

I've gotten spoiled with the control capability of the MP10.

jedimasterben

Do you just turn them on and off and leave them alone otherwise?

I've gotten spoiled with the control capability of the MP10.

I don't think I've ever turned them off as of yet, besides power outages lol. They run at 100% open all the time (they have a little manual lever on the underside that lets you adjust flow output).

I'm overdue for another tank video, I'll see if I can get one tomorrow to show off the flow :)

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever turned them off as of yet, besides power outages lol. They run at 100% open all the time (they have a little manual lever on the underside that lets you adjust flow output).

I'm overdue for another tank video, I'll see if I can get one tomorrow to show off the flow :)

I always turn off my flow so I can do target feeding, then I turn it back on to stir up all the leftovers. Nom nom nom.

I guess at some point in a 40g I might have too much stuff to target feed every single little coral like I do now :lol:

• Like 3
jedimasterben

I always turn off my flow so I can do target feeding, then I turn it back on to stir up all the leftovers. Nom nom nom.

I guess at some point in a 40g I might have too much stuff to target feed every single little coral like I do now :lol:

Yeah, I have no LPS (OR DO I :ninja:), so I don't have to worry about that sorta thing :D

But I feed so damned much that just my broadcast feeds would hit everything in the tank

• Like 1

5 pages in and still no pics of the tank??!!

Just kidding. Looking forward to this build. Don't keep us waiting too long. :P

• Like 3
Slowtwitch

Bristleworms are some of the most efficient cleanup crew members that you can buy. Or, well, can't really buy directly, anyway, lol. My tank is bare bottom and I don't think I can keep them for that reason :(

My tank is bare bottom and I have a ton of them. They just move up into the rocks.
  • Like 3

Oh yes, lots of thoughts. Mostly revolving around:

1. Not something I have kept already.

2. Something that will fit in a 40g tank.

3. See #1.

Other than the clown fish, all the fish I've kept so far are very small and somewhat shy. You have to get right up to the glass to see them clearly. I'd love to have a few fish that catch the eye, something colorful or schooling.

I'd love a dwarf angle fish like a coral beauty, but I think a 40g might be borderline small, at least in the long run. It would probably be too aggressive towards other fish and pick too much at the corals without more room.

So while I do have a few ideas, I'm keeping an open mind. I figure fish research will give me something to do while I'm waiting for the tank to cycle.

I've had a coral beauty. They get along great with other peaceful tank mates. The only issue is the possible coral nipping. I don't think more space would make a difference in that behavior either (the nipping behavior). You could always give it a try and re-home if necessary.

Congrats on the new tank :happydance:.

• Like 1
Bldgengineer

Hmmm, considering that the reason this thread exists is because I crashed my tank by running alk into all night long, I don't know that I'm all that good. But thanks anyway ;)

Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

• Like 1

Ouch! Sorry to hear that!

It's OK. I would never have willingly broken down that tank, but it has at least given me a great excuse for this new tank. :)

I'm running two rw-4s in my 66 and I'm liking it.

That's good to know. Now I have no idea what to do :lol:

Yeah, I have no LPS (OR DO I :ninja:), so I don't have to worry about that sorta thing :D

But I feed so damned much that just my broadcast feeds would hit everything in the tank

Yeah I do that to. Plus target feeding :D

Although I've cut back from doing it every night. Now I just feed the fish some pellets on the off nights and feed frozen and/or owdered coral food like reef roids every other night.

Wait, what? You getting some LPS? I didn't see that video you promised for today :scarry:

This is all you need Teeny, it lets you control any jebao pump or power head anyway you like with the apex.

Jebao to Apex junction box

Well, that's yet another thing to think about, thanks!

Unfortunately I have an Apex Jr and I've got it maxed out. Although, if I upgraded to an Apex classic, I could use the Apex Jr. to automate the frag tank too. Hmmmm....

5 pages in and still no pics of the tank??!!

Just kidding. Looking forward to this build. Don't keep us waiting too long. :P

You mean, 5 pages an still no tank haha

:lol:

I did say on the first page this was thread was for "planning"!

But the tank is scheduled to arrive Wednesday night! :haha:

• Like 2

I've had a coral beauty. They get along great with other peaceful tank mates. The only issue is the possible coral nipping. I don't think more space would make a difference in that behavior either (the nipping behavior). You could always give it a try and re-home if necessary.

Congrats on the new tank :happydance:.

Thanks, Gena! I've always had great luck with your fish suggestions, so I'm sold! I agree that it's worth giving it a try, there are always other people and tanks where he can go live if it doesn't work out.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

The DC tunze 6040 has all the controllability you need IMO. Had it running four months now and havent cleaned it once. Hasnt slowed down a bit. I love that the flow deflector allows you to hide it behind rockwork and allow you to push flow up and around the rocks. If you turn it sideways it will push flow around rocks. I can't even see mine when standing in front of the tank. Wave mode is great and virtually silent.

I have nothing bad to say about jebao other than ive heard horror stories of people trying to use the warranty. Up here in Canada you're basically told to screw off due to border issues (So ive been told)

Tunze ftw

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yeah I do that to. Plus target feeding :D

Although I've cut back from doing it every night. Now I just feed the fish some pellets on the off nights and feed frozen and/or owdered coral food like reef roids every other night.

Wait, what? You getting some LPS? I didn't see that video you promised for today :scarry:

Yeah, I wasn't home for most of the day, and when I was leaving the lights had only been on for an hour or so and nothing was really fluffing up yet, so maybe tomorrow if I can get home before the lights go out again.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wasn't home for most of the day, and when I was leaving the lights had only been on for an hour or so and nothing was really fluffing up yet, so maybe tomorrow if I can get home before the lights go out again.

Hmmmm....

#waiting

:lol:

I did say on the first page this was thread was for "planning"!

But the tank is scheduled to arrive Wednesday night! :haha:

Just got an email from UPS saying they've change the estimate arrival date. :wacko:

To Tuesday! omgomgomg

Guess I better get the IM10 moved by Monday night!

• Like 1
Drew Shark

OP: With the latest firmware from Neptune, the Jr can have 7 modules plus display and base. Check the Neptune forum if you want.

• Like 2