Coral Vue Hydros

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Hey @teenyreef! Loving your take on things! Having read the PLS skimmer review back on page 88, I was wondering if you had any updated thoughts/review before I pull the trigger? I’d love a few more shots of how’s it looks protruding from the tank if possible! 

Thanks! 

• Like 1
On 11/21/2018 at 10:22 AM, Sk8n Reefer said:

Those caps are beautiful, that is a great color on the Idaho Grape 👍

Thanks, and welcome back! Hope you're doing well! 

• Like 1
On 11/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, shaner014 said:

Hey @teenyreef! Loving your take on things! Having read the PLS skimmer review back on page 88, I was wondering if you had any updated thoughts/review before I pull the trigger? I’d love a few more shots of how’s it looks protruding from the tank if possible! 

Thanks! 

I still like it. I had some trouble with it skimming consistently but a good cleaning took care of it. It's sensitive to adjustment - a slight overshoot makes it overflow. But when it's dialed in it makes great skimmate. 

I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll get some pics Sunday night when I get home. 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, YHSublime said:

My Fox Flame gets the green highlights in random areas. Right now it's tips and base, and recently, scattered as well. Pretty sure the green tips are where the growth is happening from my observations. 

Still jealous of your WD colors, mines all green and yellow, with hintsof baby blue in the encrusting areas. I also think with growth I'll be able to pull those colors. 

Everything looks awesome!

I agree, the green is new growth. With good conditions, light, and more growth, the green tips should turn to yellow. 

Same for the WD, I think the really good colors will come as it gets bigger. 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, specore said:

I had a chalice frag come unglued and land next to my trachy.  Sat there a few days without any issue, then on the fifth day the chalice decided it was done being a good neighbor.  

Yeah, I've noticed they sometimes give a little grace period. But after that, watch out! 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:51 PM, Cannedfish said:

The tank looks stunning!! I want to call dibs on the first ARC Fireworks frag right now!

Fortunately you have a lot of choice frags to trade for. I can't wait to go shopping in your tank 😁

Speaking of choice frags...I got some coral spending money for my birthday a few weeks ago, and found a couple nicely discounted pieces from Cherry Corals. They're scheduled to arrive late next week. Here are the pics from the web site, though. I think they're somewhat oversaturated and don't expect the frags to look exactly like these pics. But I've seen enough pictures of these from other people to know that they will turn out really nice anyway. 

Christmas Mirabilis:

Christmas Mirabilis

And the one I'm super excited about...a slow grower that will take forever to color up, but it should be worth the wait. Battle Corals Bubblebath Unicorn omgomgomg

Bubblebath Unicorn

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
On 11/9/2018 at 7:11 AM, vlangel said:

Your coral always have such beautiful color teeny.  Looking amazing as always!

On 11/9/2018 at 7:43 AM, Reefkid88 said:

HOLY SCHMOOKES !!!!

On 11/9/2018 at 11:37 AM, debbeach13 said:

Stunning as always!

Thanks! 

Nice pick-ups! I just set up the CAD skimmer on my 22g, It's only been running a few hours so can't comment on performance but no microbubbles and very quiet. Touchy about adjustment like you said but I run the older version in my 25g so I expected that. This one is actually easier to adjust than the older model. 

I ordered a Battlebox on black Friday 😮 Pretty excited! 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Nice pick-ups! I just set up the CAD skimmer on my 22g, It's only been running a few hours so can't comment on performance but no microbubbles and very quiet. Touchy about adjustment like you said but I run the older version in my 25g so I expected that. This one is actually easier to adjust than the older model. 

I ordered a Battlebox on black Friday 😮 Pretty excited! 

Nice! I know @HarryPotter has been very happy with his Battlebox purchases too. I've decided if I get some coral money for Christmas I'll probably try a Battlebox too. I'll be watching to see how yours turns out! 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Nice! I know @HarryPotter has been very happy with his Battlebox purchases too. I've decided if I get some coral money for Christmas I'll probably try a Battlebox too. I'll be watching to see how yours turns out! 

Yeah I’ve loved mine. Unfortunately a big portion of them browned out in the new tank, but I completely attribute that to the new tank,  not battlecorals. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

!!!! I told him to basically send me whatever he thought I needed and gave him a list of corals I have in the tank. It arrives Thursday. 

• Like 1

As always your tank and photo quality makes me want to reevaluate my life... But never mind that, look at dem new fancy corals!! As ol' Granddad use to say, "dem [corals] right there ain't nothing to shake a stick at!" Which has always made me wonder, who are all these people running around shaking sticks? I may be sheltered, living in a region of the country that just discovered literacy in the 1980's, but I have never felt the urge to go find a stick and then shake it at something. First off, that seems like a lot of work. Second, I'm pretty sure the stick isn't going to enjoy the experience. Also what do people say in areas largely devoid of foliage? "Man, that's nothing to shake a rock at!" or "Dat gummit, that's nothing to wiggle a cactus at? What if they are on a boat? Or didn't have arms? On the flip side, is there any event where people are like "now that... that there IS something I'd shake a stick at?" What are these events? And moreover, in these instances, do they just go then find a stick and start shaking it? I don't the whole concept seems silly to me. Where were we? Oh, yeah, put me on the list for that BC BGU!

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

As always your tank and photo quality makes me want to reevaluate my life... But never mind that, look at dem new fancy corals!! As ol' Granddad use to say, "dem [corals] right there ain't nothing to shake a stick at!" Which has always made me wonder, who are all these people running around shaking sticks? I may be sheltered, living in a region of the country that just discovered literacy in the 1980's, but I have never felt the urge to go find a stick and then shake it at something. First off, that seems like a lot of work. Second, I'm pretty sure the stick isn't going to enjoy the experience. Also what do people say in areas largely devoid of foliage? "Man, that's nothing to shake a rock at!" or "Dat gummit, that's nothing to wiggle a cactus at? What if they are on a boat? Or didn't have arms? On the flip side, is there any event where people are like "now that... that there IS something I'd shake a stick at?" What are these events? And moreover, in these instances, do they just go then find a stick and start shaking it? I don't the whole concept seems silly to me. Where were we? Oh, yeah, put me on the list for that BC BGU!

" WWCS"

What Would @Cannedfish Say. 😛 

• Haha 3
On 11/28/2018 at 11:05 AM, Cannedfish said:

All I got from that is sticks, sticks, sticks, and more sticks. And I'm good with that cause I like sticks in my tanks :lol:

BGU frag coming your way! In about three years, probably.

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2018 at 5:22 PM, yoshii said:

Oh wow that Bubblebath Unicorn is a beauty! 😍It's going to look great in the tank, which always looks amazing btw.

Thanks, Yoshi!

18 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

how are the sticks doing?  would love to see photos of them in you tank vs the stock photos.

I've been hard on the new frags. I put them in the frag tank for a week, and then put them on the sand bed in this tank for another week. Then I made a magnetic frag rock to go on the back wall for them, but the magnets weren't strong enough and it fell down. 

So last night I built a new rock to go in the front of the tank and reglued them again. Really I'm just glad they're still alive at this point. 

However, I will say they didn't look a lot like the colors in the vendor pictures even right after I unpacked them. I suspected the pictures were oversaturated, but I ordered them anyway because I know what the frags should look like eventually under the right conditions. 

• Like 1

I've been terrible about updates after being out of town for four weeks in a row, but I have been home on weekends and keeping up on tank maintenance. I'm looking forward to getting back into a normal routine now.

Last night I built a new rock for the new frags and placed it near the front in the middle. I like the way it looks but I'm concerned the frags won't get enough light since they're lower down in the tank. On the other hand, they will get some extra light from the reflection off the front glass. I'll have to measure PAR and then just see how they do.

I was going to take pictures last night but then I noticed the return pump didn't come on when I turned it back on. Arrgh. I had to take everything apart and out of the back chamber so I could pull the pump apart and clean the deposits that had built up on the impeller magnet. By the time I got it all back together the tank was a cloudy mess.

So tonight I got the camera out and took a few pictures including a new FTS and top down for December 🙂

2018-12-16 IM40 FTS:

2018-12-16 IM40 FTS

2018-12-16 IM40 Top Down:

2018-12-16 IM40 Top Down

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

After I took these pictures, I realized the yellow wrasse was missing...he ended up in the back chamber.

At first I thought it would be fairly easy to get him out because he was in the second chamber and there's not much in there. So I turned off the pumps, which raises the water level in the back chambers above the dividers, by the way. As soon as he saw the net he swam over into the third (pump) chamber and headed straight for the bottom. For a while I thought I was going to have to take out the pump AGAIN. Fortunately he eventually came back up and I was able to get him to go back into the second chamber. I turned the pumps back on just to force him to stay there and got him out with the net :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

So teeny, this tank is looking amazing.  How is the ATS doing and do you think it has anything to do with how good this tank looks?  Is the algae now green and less slimey?

• Like 2