Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone! Instead of doing day after Christmas shopping, I stayed home and did water changes and tank maintenance today.

I'm going to get more serious about tank maintenance and care this new year. Things still aren't "quite right" in this tank. I removed all the zoas about a month ago because they still weren't recovering, and they started getting better almost overnight in the 30g frag tank. The acans are still struggling, too, but they're less easy to relocate. But as a test, I relocated the yellow wall acans to the 10g tank, and they recovered almost completely in about three days.

The sps continue to do well - they WWC Yellow Tips are turning into a huge colony that I really need to trim back again now. All the frags in the frag racks are doing well and overgrowing the racks. But the colors aren't as good as they have been in the past.

Now that I'm on vacation for a couple weeks and not constantly traveling, I'm going to try some repeated water changes - twice a week, at least 10-15 gallons each time.

In the meantime, I took a top down shot while the water was low during the water change:

2019-12-26 IM40 Top Down:

2019-12-26 IM40 Top Down

🤔 if you’re having an unhappy tank problem, can I have whatever problem with similar results please?

😂

• Haha 5

Honestly if your sps are doing so well but the acans and zoas are not.. 

Maybe your water is too clean? 

Your sps look fricken great so I'd assume so... If that is the case that's an easy fix as you can simply feed heavier or I guess does with reef roids? Get them fatty acids and aminos floating around? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mtgmichaelg said:

Hey can I get an ID on that one with pink branches and yellow base in the bottom right. 

The one that's just below the clown fish? If so, that's ORA red planet. 

Just found one of the clown fish tossing around the remains of a green banded goby head :tears:

He had a good life in this tank and was always out and about. Unfortunately, green banded gobies only live 2-4 years so I think it was just time for this guy. RIP little dude 😞

• Sad 6
14 hours ago, Matteo said:

Honestly if your sps are doing so well but the acans and zoas are not.. 

Maybe your water is too clean? 

Your sps look fricken great so I'd assume so... If that is the case that's an easy fix as you can simply feed heavier or I guess does with reef roids? Get them fatty acids and aminos floating around? 

Good point, but I have plenty of algae growth so I don't think the tank is too clean. Nitrates and phosphates are very low, but I expect that's due to the algae consuming it. 

The frag racks I have all around the edge really limit the circulation down on the sand bed, and I think that's probably the real root of the problem.

16 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

🤔 if you’re having an unhappy tank problem, can I have whatever problem with similar results please?

😂

Lol, thanks!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Good point, but I have plenty of algae growth so I don't think the tank is too clean. Nitrates and phosphates are very low, but I expect that's due to the algae consuming it. 

The frag racks I have all around the edge really limit the circulation down on the sand bed, and I think that's probably the real root of the problem.

Lol, thanks!

That would make sense. 

I noticed one of my SPS pieces RTN-ing and realized it was in a deadspot so that could easily be the issue. 

Hmmmm, yeah not sure. I guess remove frag racks and make your tank an actual DT would be good 😉 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, teenyreef said:

The one that's just below the clown fish? If so, that's ORA red planet. 

I am pretty sure that is the mystery acro in my tank. Thanks for the ID. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PaigeTX said:

Lol what do you think the head was? 

I really don't know. The cleaner shrimp just molted and/or died, because I've found the usual shell fragments and he's not out and about as usual. Hopefully that's not what it was. But otherwise, I have no idea.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
second_decimal
23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Just found one of the clown fish tossing around the remains of a green banded goby head :tears:

He had a good life in this tank and was always out and about. Unfortunately, green banded gobies only live 2-4 years so I think it was just time for this guy. RIP little dude 😞

3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I really don't know. The cleaner shrimp just molted and/or died, because I've found the usual shell fragments and he's not out and about as usual. Hopefully that's not what it was. But otherwise, I have no idea.

Uhm.. skip the early morning scotch?  Lol it’s a pretty nice surprise when you think you lost one and then it pops out somewhere later. Sorry for your loss and  Congrats on your discovery 😜

• Like 1

Gorgeous tank, I'm literally drooling.

The Acan/Zoa issue probably will be resolved with water changes.  Possibly a low/missing trace/minor element or could be coral warfare stuff from the SPS maybe? Honestly as much as you have invested in the tank I would send an ICP test to triton to see exactly what all your minor/major/trace elements are, it may not give you the answer but it will at least be some peace of mind and get you closer to answers.

Do you still have the foxface?  They can be occasional coral munchers as well.

• Like 2

Still no sign of the Seymour the cleaner shrimp...I think that's probably the carnage I saw. Either he had a bad molt, or he was just getting old. I've had him about two and a half years, and the Internet Machine says skunk cleaner shrimp live about two years in the wild and no more than 3-4 in a tank.

• Sad 1
On 12/28/2019 at 1:28 PM, 10001110101 said:

Gorgeous tank, I'm literally drooling.

The Acan/Zoa issue probably will be resolved with water changes.  Possibly a low/missing trace/minor element or could be coral warfare stuff from the SPS maybe? Honestly as much as you have invested in the tank I would send an ICP test to triton to see exactly what all your minor/major/trace elements are, it may not give you the answer but it will at least be some peace of mind and get you closer to answers.

Do you still have the foxface?  They can be occasional coral munchers as well.

All good point - thanks! Unfortunately, water changes haven't had the effect I'd expect, although I'm not opposed to do even more of them since that's good for the tank in general.

I haven't done an ICP test in about a year. The last one didn't show anything unusual but of course that doesn't say much about what's in the tank now. I will definitely send one in if things continue to go bad after I get rid of the frag racks. I do know for a fact the circulation is bad at the sand bed level and right now I think that's the number one problem.

I do still have Franklin the foxface. It's possible he's munching, but I've never seen him even get close to where the acans and zoas are (or any other corals for that matter). He seems to concentrate on the algae growing in the surface of the returns and the frag racks.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Still no sign of the Seymour the cleaner shrimp...I think that's probably the carnage I saw. Either he had a bad molt, or he was just getting old. I've had him about two and a half years, and the Internet Machine says skunk cleaner shrimp live about two years in the wild and no more than 3-4 in a tank.

Seymour! Poor guy. It sounds like he had a great long life. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

We'll be down in your neck of the woods tomorrow, passing through on our way to NC.

Outer Banks?

5 minutes ago, PaigeTX said:

Seymour! Poor guy. It sounds like he had a great long life. 

Yeah, I agree. He was a very happy shrimp 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Haven't you won enough!!! Just Kidding! You have my vote.

Ha ha, true! But when I saw "orange" I thought "I have the perfect picture" 🙂

Thanks for the vote, though :flower:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The Walt Disney tenuis is finally coloring up beyond blue and yellow. I recently changed the T5 bulb so it may be the extra PAR that made the difference.

Walt Disney Tenuis

• Like 8
  • Wow 2
  • 2 months later...

Sadly, I've continue to barely keep up with tank maintenance since my last update. For the most part everything has survived but colors are faded. And I lost the WD Tenuis (see picture above) a couple months ago. Fortunately I had several frags and while most of them died, one has survived and grown since then. 

I lost the matted filefish when he went carpet surfing and went without one for a couple months. But then I noticed some new aiptasia, so I got a new one last week. He's doing well and I haven't seen any aiptasia since!

I still haven't gotten rid of the frags, and I'm now completely convinced that having the frag racks in the tank is bad - they just cut off too much circulation and create too much shade. So, my to do list:

1. Start weekly 25% water changes (instead of every 2-4 weeks)

2. Sell the frags (a challenge during quarantine) and remove the frag racks.

3. Cut back the oversized colonies to improve flow and lighting in the lower parts of the tank.

I hope to have more and better updates over the next month 🙂

2020-04-25 IM40 FTS:

2020-04-25 IM40 FTS

• Like 6
  • Wow 1