Jump to content
teenyreef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - I'm not dead yet!

Recommended Posts

teenyreef

So now that the damage has been done, I got motivated to fix the problem and kill off some of the mummy eye chalice. And while I was at it, I decided to do the major trim job I've been meaning to do on the larger sps colonies. 

I drained off enough water to expose the chalice to the air and applied a band of kalk paste to the edges of the chalice, which worked great. Of course it remains to be seen if the unaffected portions survive but even if I lose the chalice it had to be done.

While the corals were out of the water, I went to town with bone cutters and a portable Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel. The hardest part was dealing with the cali tort. It was encrusting and taking over the acro next to it, and most of the rest of it was solid, so I had to just cut pieces off with the Dremel. 

I ended up with lots of chunky frags of katropora and bird of paradise, and lots of other frags of cali tort, WD tenuis, a couple WWC yellow tip frags, and one piece each of the Jason Fox Icebreaker and the no-name pink acro. 

 

As part of the process, I did a 10g water change.

 

I only had a couple disasters/new misses: first when I spilled the cup of kalk paste all over everything, and then when I started the pumps back up, the return pump wouldn't start. It's been a while since I cleaned it and of course it chose this time to not start. Fortunately, after turning it off and back on again for a good five minutes, it started back up. I also worried about all the kalk paste causing a spike in alkalinity. I measured after the water change and alk was 9.0 which is high for this tank, but stupidly I hadn't checked in alk in a couple weeks so I have no idea what it was before I started the process. After more worrying, I put 6 ml of muriatic acid in the rear pump chamber to lower the alk a bit just in case. Hopefully I don't kill everything off with playing around with alk levels. I should know for sure by tomorrow.

 

Here's what it looked like top down after all the trimming was done and I put some water back in. There's lot's or junk in the water...

20190710-untitled-001.jpg

 

Closer view of the stuff that has been trimmed. You can really tell where I killed the outer edge of the chalice.

20190710-untitled-002.jpg

 

FTS right before turning the pumps on:

20190710-untitled-004.jpg

 

After fragging was complete and the water cleared up. I put the frags in this tank instead of the frag tank so they would be in the same water conditions they're used to. Plus the frag tank is full...

20190710-untitled-007.jpg

 

What it looks like after the frag party:

20190710-untitled-009.jpg

 

  • Like 4
  • Wow 7

Share this post


Link to post
YHSublime

That Mummy Eye does not play around. I've purposely contained mine on the glass floor. 

 

Tank looks awesome after all the work! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef
2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

That Mummy Eye does not play around. I've purposely contained mine on the glass floor. 

 

Tank looks awesome after all the work! 

Good idea! I always knew it would be a problem eventually but I got a good two years before it got big enough to be a problem, so I'm not complaining.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef

PS: before I went to bed the other night, I did an extra 10g water change just to try to reduce the effects of any alk swing. Everything is doing fine 24 hours later so either there wasn't a significant problem, or the extra water change helped. 😬

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
yoshii

Tank still looks amazing Teeny! It definitely was time for a trim!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Sancho

SPS problems 🙄😂 As yoshi pointed out tank still looks amazing 👍🔥

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Icedgxe

The tank looks absolutely amazing!! I may have missed it somewhere but do you mind if I ask what the settings on your lights are? Also how high off of the water they are and what t-5 bulbs you are running? 

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef
18 hours ago, Icedgxe said:

The tank looks absolutely amazing!! I may have missed it somewhere but do you mind if I ask what the settings on your lights are? Also how high off of the water they are and what t-5 bulbs you are running? 

Thanks! Royal blue/violet/cyan are at 100%, white at 20%, and lime at 30% at midday, and the light is about 6" from the water surface. I use ATI T5's, one coral plus and one blue plus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef
On 7/12/2019 at 1:44 AM, yoshii said:

Tank still looks amazing Teeny! It definitely was time for a trim!

Thanks, Yoshi!, hope you're doing well in Hawaii!  And yes, it was really overdue. I had no idea how bad it had gotten until I saw how much was underneath all the overgrown stuff. 

On 7/12/2019 at 4:32 AM, Sancho said:

SPS problems 🙄😂 As yoshi pointed out tank still looks amazing 👍🔥

I remember when all I wanted was to have overgrown sps problems 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! Royal blue/violet/cyan are at 100%, white at 20%, and lime at 30% at midday, and the light is about 6" from the water surface. I use ATI T5's, one coral plus and one blue plus. 

Hmmmmm we basically have the same setup light wise...I use two actinic bulbs for pop...wondering if I should use a coral + I have in the closet because your color in that tank looks crisp!..but then I would have to turn my whites down on my nanobox or turn my blues up.... guess I have something to play with this afternoon 🤔

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Reefkid88

Looking good bud !!! Glad you were able to get things trimmed and stop the warfare !!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
teenyreef
21 hours ago, Matteo said:

Hmmmmm we basically have the same setup light wise...I use two actinic bulbs for pop...wondering if I should use a coral + I have in the closet because your color in that tank looks crisp!..but then I would have to turn my whites down on my nanobox or turn my blues up.... guess I have something to play with this afternoon 🤔

 

 

Good luck! For pictures, I usually turn the T5's off and brighten up the whites on the LED's. Otherwise the camera's white balance gets all messed up. 

16 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Looking good bud !!! Glad you were able to get things trimmed and stop the warfare !!! 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
On 7/14/2019 at 12:59 PM, teenyreef said:

I remember when all I wanted was to have overgrown sps problems 😂

I'm still waiting for my overgrown sps problems to happen.  😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Good luck! For pictures, I usually turn the T5's off and brighten up the whites on the LED's. Otherwise the camera's white balance gets all messed up. 

Thanks! 

I went with a coral + in the rear for all the sps back there. Actinic in the front for zoa and LPS pop. Turned blues to 90% cyan 10% white/limes 12% uv 50%.

 

LOVING IT

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
kabal2

Wow great tank and great adventure, lots of great knowledge @teenyreef, just finished reading from page 1 to 109

  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...