Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

4 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

For some reason the pics aren't showing up on my phone. :(

Unfortunately it appears the N-R images are still transferring from one server to another. Christopher mentioned it in a couple other threads. Hopefully they'll show up tomorrow!

I have a lot more pictures to post but I'm going to hold off until they're working again :mellow:

6 minutes ago, Droy008 said:

For some reason the pics aren't showing up on my phone. :(

Unfortunately it appears the N-R images are still transferring from one server to another. Christopher mentioned it in a couple other threads. Hopefully they'll show up tomorrow!

I have a lot more pictures to post but I'm going to hold off until they're working again :mellow:

But...if you click on the links, you can see the pictures in Flickr.

Hey Teeny, 

Just caught up a little on your tank. Your pictures are so beautiful. I wish I could take pictures like that! But actually, I did a search for pictures not working because no matter what I do I can't get my pictures to show up. I know how to code and they look fine in the preview, until I submit my post, then they don't work. Your thread came up first in the search after mine.

You mentioned Christopher saying N-R pictures are transferring from one server to another. My pictures are from Flickr, as I believe yours are too. So maybe I have nothing to worry about, and I just have to wait it out :) Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

I think it might have something to do with Flickr.... because I use Photobucket and my pictures show up perfect. 

The tank is looking awesome teeny!!

13 hours ago, xAyanex said:

Teeny and my pictures are showing up for me now. Beautiful tank teeny!

Thanks! It was just a temporary thing with the images here at N-R, it should be all fixed for good now.

12 hours ago, gena said:

I think you have enough miami vice zoas, to send me a couple ;)

Well, technically I don't have any miami vice zoas. I do have some aquafresh which look pretty much the same but there's only two or three of those right now, they're just getting going finally. But the other vice zoas are doing great! These are the morpholigics vice zoas, I will definitely frag these as soon as the frag tank is bryopsis-free :D

Morphologics Vice Zoas

I've also got some from Legendary Corals. These are Nightwalkers - I think they need a little more light to get better color, though.

LC Nightwalkers

And these are Raptor's Rainbow zoas, also from LC. You can see the two Aquafresh Vice zoas on the lower right side.

LC Raptors Rainbow

• Like 8

The duncans in the corner are doing great and the clowns both like to host in them sometimes. They are always digging out the sand in the lower left corner. I've never seen eggs, but it's almost impossible to see where they would lay them. 

The duncans were one of my first coral purchases ever, back when I started the 4g tank. They were "purple" duncans from Live Aquaria, but they were always green in all my tanks. Until now! You can see the tips of the tentacles are turning purple :)

Duncans

• Like 8

I haven't posted many pictures of the monticaps that grow in the corner by the duncans in quite a while. This is the top half of the monticorner, with the Idaho Grape I got from Gena and the Seasons Greeting I got from Slowtwitch (which might have come from Gena too!). The other one is a Reef Raft Tropic Thunder monti that I got from a local reefer.

Monticorner

This is the bottom half of the monticorner, with the green monticap from the 10g tank, and a rescue chalice on the sandbed, also from the 10g tank. You see a corner of the red monticap that I got from Zia, which is also from the 10g tank.

20170220-untitled-087-Edit.jpg

Oh, and I just noticed there are some Searchlight Vice zoas on the lower right hand corner :)

• Like 9
7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I only have to ask, are you going to mount most of these? Or move to different tanks?

It's a great question! A lot of the corals in here, especially on the sand bed, are from the 10g tank and need to go back there eventually, once I'm confident that the white fuzzy crud is really gone for good. And some of the new ones will also go in the 10g tank to replace the sps that died before.

Then what's left will get mounted in this tank. There may be a few leftover sticks that have to go in the frag tank, and I expect I'll eventually have to thin the sticks herd in this tank once they really start growing out. But since they're mostly still very small frags, I think I've got a year or two before that becomes a real problem.

10 hours ago, gena said:

I was talking about the Morphologic vice zoas :wub:.  The others are nice too though :).

I'll be happy to frag some for you once my frag tank is a happy place for frags again :)

9 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Looking full and happy Teeny !!! 

Thanks!

So I officially threw in the towel on the old Jebao doser tonight. It was next to useless on the 4g and 10g tanks because it can't dose in fractions of a milliliter, and in a small tank that just won't work. But even in this tank, right now I need to be dosing somewhere around 1.3 and 1.5 ml per day. Which I know isn't much but since my choices are either 1ml or 2ml per day, my alkalinity is constantly drifting up or down depending on how I set the doser. So I've been letting the doser do 1 ml/day and I've been  manually dosing the rest.

Which completely undermines the point of having an automated doser! :rant:Not to mention that when it only doses 1 ml, the motors are not consistent, so you get somewhere between .5 and 1.5 ml randomly. Plus I had to put check valves in the dosing lines just to keep the pumps from draining back into the dosing containers.

So I looked at all the American Express points I've accumulated lately, and got on Amazon and ordered the new Kamoer X4 doser with my points. It can dose down to .01 ml, and has wifi control so I don't have to crawl under the cabinet to adjust it. It should be here on Monday. I really hope it works as advertised - the real world reviews seem to indicate that it does.

• Like 6

I love the blue kenya tree from Slowtwitch, it's growing fast and the color and growth pattern are beautiful. It fits in the corner of the tank nicely and I'm working on growing other corals underneath the tree, like flowers under a real tree.

20170220-untitled-073.jpg

Oh, and I have mentioned how much I love the plate coral that's beneath the kenya tree? It's also growing fast and it encrusts on the rocks.

20170220-untitled-074.jpg

I think I'm going to try some acans in the sand bed right below the plate. It's not too bright there because it's in the corner of the tank, so hopefully they'll color up nicely.

• Like 10
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, Slowtwitch said:

I told you I have a piece here for you if you want it.:slap:

2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

I NEEEEEEEEEDDDDD IIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT

vsxe4XnAlf8pW.gif

Pretty sure I've blown my 'fish shit' budget for the month, though!

• Like 1

Here are a few of the frags on the frag rack. Overall everything is doing well. Some of the frags I glued up into the middle of the tank have browned out a bit. I checked parameters the other day and phosphates had risen from .02 to .11.  I use a small amount of GFO in the reactor to avoid dropping phosphates to low or too fast, but the tradeoff is that it doesn't last as long - about three weeks in this case. I think the brown out was due to being moved and put in a new location with different lighting and flow, combined with the rise in phosphates. I put in some fresh phosphate and I'll check again this weekend.

But the frags on the frag rack have kept their color pretty well. A few have gotten a little more green, but overall I'm just happy they aren't brown :)

California Tort:

California Tort

Mr. Pacman acro:

Mr. Pacman Acro

Blue digi. This is a little piece that broke off the original frag in shipment, which later started to stn in the frag tank. I moved it back here and it's been growing back ever since. A super tough fast growing coral.

Blue Digitata

Neon acro from Cultivated Reef:

Neon Acro

The next three are nameless acros from AquaSD. Not bad for $10 each :)

20170220-untitled-008-2-Edit.jpg

20170220-untitled-005-3-Edit-2.jpg

20170220-untitled-005-3-Edit.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Teeny! 

I spent the last day browsing your build, and wanted to say you've got a killer tank going! It's something to strive for, for sure.:bowdown: I just set up an IM40 and am about to start transferring my IM20 over later this week.omgomgomg So, I wanted to ask you if you had to do it over, is there anything you would change? Anything you bought that you wouldn't again, or vice versa? Anything you'd advise a new IM40 owner to look out for or anything? 

• Like 1
On 2/23/2017 at 0:44 AM, teenyreef said:

I love the blue kenya tree from Slowtwitch, it's growing fast and the color and growth pattern are beautiful. It fits in the corner of the tank nicely and I'm working on growing other corals underneath the tree, like flowers under a real tree.

20170220-untitled-073.jpg

Oh, and I have mentioned how much I love the plate coral that's beneath the kenya tree? It's also growing fast and it encrusts on the rocks.

20170220-untitled-074.jpg

I think I'm going to try some acans in the sand bed right below the plate. It's not too bright there because it's in the corner of the tank, so hopefully they'll color up nicely.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE these!!!!

Would love to get some of the blue Kenya from you sometime down the road....