inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

The tank's been pretty stable over the last week, but nitrates did creep up a tiny bit, from the usual 3 to about 4 or 5. Some of the acros showed a response by getting a little browner, so I bumped up the NoPox by 1ml per day. I checked nitrates again on Sunday and it was down to 2, and the acros were already getting a little more colorful.

Tonight I did a water change and while the water was low, I took a little bit extra out to expose the tops of the rocks and glued up a whole bunch of corals. Now I just cross my fingers and hope none of them decide they don't like their new location :scarry:

To help out, I'm going to reduce the lighting level by 10% since most of them will be in a little higher light, more in the center of the tank. I'll bump the light back up in another week as long as everything is going well.

I'm excited about how the corals are looking, and I'm really excited about eventually getting the frag racks out, and clearing off the sand bed so that there's room for the corals that I really want down there.

Pictures tomorrow!

• Like 4

Thanks! Here are just a few more that I took tonight.

Group shot - CR's Strawberry Fields, Tyree Bali Tricolor, Green Slimer, and in the background is the ASD "Showtank Stylo": There's also a little bit of the Red Planet on the far left.

31932406464_f6e950b61a_b.jpg20170207-untitled-019.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Pink tabling acro, it's getting green and blues on the new growth:

32652229711_9616c9da30_b.jpg20170207-untitled-013-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Red montipora digitata (top), Blueberry Shortcake acro (middle), Tubbs Stalleta Montipora (bottom):

32652235951_f2ec9db399_b.jpg20170207-untitled-026.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

ASD "Showpiece Stylo" (top), blue slimer (middle right), Tyree Bali Tricolor (middle), pink setosa (far right), CR's Electric Mayagi tort (bottom right):

32652234431_df3d397783_b.jpg20170207-untitled-025-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tyree Bali Tricolor:

32652231961_c0540d8918_b.jpg20170207-untitled-025.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oregon Tort:

32652236981_8c90ee522d_b.jpg20170207-untitled-037.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Green Slimer:

32652230961_fd0e02c9a8_b.jpg20170207-untitled-018.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Curse You! You make me want another tank! SPS dominated. I love whatever that purple/blue thing is.

I just went back and edited the post to add the coral names to each picture. I think you're looking at the Oregon Tort?

Looks like the rainbow knocked on your door and never left!

Ha ha, you're right! I love the way this tank looks under the blues late at night.

RIP Sebastian

I just went back and edited the post to add the coral names to each picture. I think you're looking at the Oregon Tort?

Ha ha, you're right! I love the way this tank looks under the blues late at night.

*drools over photography and reef keeping skills as well as the selection of corals*

• Like 1

Corals are looking great. The tabling growth looks much better than the established section.

I agree, it was a "pink tabling acro" when I bought it at the frag show. I've been wondering what color it will actually be when it started to grow.

I see your oregon tort has some of the green hues i was worried about in mine. Started as a little bit then has slowely spread all over

31989559843_b253e41ed6.jpg20170209_103854 by drgibby, on Flickr

Yes, and some of my other ones that had multiple colors now have much more green in them now. My nutrients are nice and low (nitrates are 2 and phosphates are .02), so I don't think that's the cause. It could be related to trace elements, but I've noticed the green is more pronounced in the spots where the frags get less light. So it may just be that I need to turn the lights up a bit.

Thanks for adding the labels. Forgot what the Tri-Color is supposed to look like... mine is poop colored.

:( color that sucker up! Seriously, though, it was one of the freebies from Cultivated Reef, and it turned out to be one of my favorites.

The oregon tort is lovely, but I love love love the ASD "Showtank Stylo"

I agree! It actually has some rainbow colors but it turned mostly blue after a day or so in the tank. I'm hoping the higher light in the center of the tank will help it regain the other colors.

*drools over photography and reef keeping skills as well as the selection of corals*

Thank you! :blush:

• Like 1

wow! more pics please

Here are a few more!

Bird of Paradise is now growing fast :)

32870823256_68eaa403b1_b.jpgBird of Paradise by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The ice fire echinata still doesn't look like much, but it hasn't died so I'm still winning :)

32870822336_e407a194c6_b.jpgIce Fire Echinata by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Electric Miyagi Tort. It looks fantastic top down but all my top down shots were out of focus.

32870821906_39774f959b_b.jpgElectric Miyagi Tort by TeenyReef, on Flickr

CR's Strawberry Fields. I love this one :)

32870822776_970002f57f_b.jpgCR Strawberry Fields by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6
14 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Fluco arrive yet?

Yep, it got here on Thursday and went in the same day. I'm posting daily pictures in the 30g thread.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:44 PM, gena said:

That's the most vibrant slimer I've ever seen :wub:.

I agree! I can see it from across the room. And it's encrusting like crazy so I think should really take off soon.

13 hours ago, Slowtwitch said:

Glad to see the stuff I sent you still doing well:D

It's all doing great! I will take some update pics of everything you sent me this weekend. The blue kenya tree is getting pretty big, I'll probably have to just cut off a stalk and pull the rest out. I'll have to see if there are any local reefers interested in pieces of it.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, TJ_Burton said:

Digging it!

Thanks for checking in, TJ! I didn't realize you started a new tank, it's already looking fantastic.

I've noticed that almost everything you've done in your sump could be used just as easily for saltwater, though :D

• Like 1

As I was taking pictures of the frags tonight just to document progress, I decided to take a couple quick handheld FTS's before turning off the camera. Much to my surprise, one of them actually turned out OK :)

2017-02-20 IM40 FTS

• Like 7