Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

RIP Sebastian

Thanks! No orgies here, but I did eat a whole box of Girl Scout cookies while I was working late tonight. I also couldn't find any hookers and blow on StevieT's site, so I'm afraid the standards here are really going to be quite low :P

fat-cat-thin-mint-meme.jpg

• Like 5

Nooo ! Don't buy Dori!! Lol

I've wanted a blue hippo tang since my dad had one when I was a little kid. Well I finally snagged one that I have in qt for my big tank. I'm so tired of hearing "You found Dori!" And saying "it's NOT Dori"

Ha, good for you. My wife wanted to know if we could get one now that I'm getting a bigger tank. I told her I'd be happy to upgrade the 90g FW tank to a 180g SW tank so we could get one :)

She said no :(

• Like 6
Elizabeth94

Wow, its actually thinner than I thought. Even the dry side of my mp10 seems wider than 2". Maybe it is because I have the old version. I assumed it was going to be larger. But you know what they say about assuming things ha.

Im sure you will figure it out. I also like my mp10 a bit forward on my fusion 10. But it is dependent on my rock layout.

• Like 1

fat-cat-thin-mint-meme.jpg

:lol: that was totally me the other night!

Both :lol:

Yay! I approve.

Wow, its actually thinner than I thought. Even the dry side of my mp10 seems wider than 2". Maybe it is because I have the old version. I assumed it was going to be larger. But you know what they say about assuming things ha.

Im sure you will figure it out. I also like my mp10 a bit forward on my fusion 10. But it is dependent on my rock layout.

Same here, on my IM10. The rocks are towards the back, so putting the MP10 a little forward creates a nice gyre effect.

In this tank I'll probably do the same thing. I was thinking I'd put an MP10 down low in the back if I needed more flow in the dead spots. But since you pointed out the space limitation in the back of the bookshelf, I'm thinking I'll do a Jebao RW-4, or something else that doesn't have a big dry side.

Definitely following this one!

Thanks! I'll be watching how your cycle goes with interest, since I'll be starting one of my own here. Every cycle seems to go a little differently and I learn something new every time.

• Like 1

Dam Teeny all this talk about a new tank makes me want another......

I've learnt dry rock and the long painful cycle is 100% the best way to go!

• Like 2

I agree! I really admire the reefers who work out major rock scapes outside the tank, with drawings, and dry mockups, and then glue it all together with mortar so that it's all set and ready to go - just add water.

But I've learned that while that appeals to me, it just doesn't work. I have to actually see the rocks, in the tank and in the water, before I can decide what I like. And even then it changes when the corals start to grow in. I've learned to accept that I just need to be flexible and embrace change :lol:

Speaking of which, as I was typing my previous post, about wanting lots of empty space in my tank with little islands, I remembered that I wanted to do the exact same thing when I first started my 10g tank. I was picturing something like 4x5's TOTM:

27218958171_8e0bdf2935_b.jpgfts_july_27_2014_1024 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

So after planning for a tank that would look like that, I ended up with something that was actually a bit different :P

26890637286_2886c13263_b.jpg20160509_202424.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

But hey, you can still see a little sand bed in there! Although it will probably be all covered up in another six months or so.

By the way, just for those that haven't seen 4x5's current build, here's what it looks like now: :bowdown:

27255547066_3e43c4f90e_b.jpglts_february_11_2016_1280 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Pictures shamelessly stolen from his thread here: Made in Africa - A Shallow Reef. Go check it out! But be prepared to lose about four hours of your life as you are helplessly compelled to read his entire thread so you can see...just...one more...beautiful...picture.

Of course, his tank is a shallow tank, and mine is a cube. So I need to remember that while the way he scaped his tank is beautiful, the shape of my tank doesn't really work as well for that style of a scape.

Plus I don't have a sump, T5's, and especially his amazing reef keeping and photography skills. But it's good to have dreams. :)

Haha I'm exactly the same way! I always look at the very minimal tanks and say that's what I plan to do but then I fill it to the brim with coral lol. My husband literally looked at me the other day when I was trying to figure out where I want to move a few corals and said I find it funny that you always say you want to have very little rock work and an open sand bed then you turn around and fill every inch of it! I had to laugh as it was the total truth

• Like 3

Haha I'm exactly the same way! I always look at the very minimal tanks and say that's what I plan to do but then I fill it to the brim with coral lol. My husband literally looked at me the other day when I was trying to figure out where I want to move a few corals and said I find it funny that you always say you want to have very little rock work and an open sand bed then you turn around and fill every inch of it! I had to laugh as it was the total truth

:lol: This sounds exactly like conversations my husband and I have had

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Dam Teeny all this talk about a new tank makes me want another......

I've learnt dry rock and the long painful cycle is 100% the best way to go!

Yes! That way you avoid all those hitchhiking pests!
  • Like 2

Yes! That way you avoid all those hitchhiking pests!

You will still get such things as bristle worms though, even if you cut the frag plugs off when dipping. little buggers always get in.

• Like 4
reefernanoman

You will still get such things as bristle worms though, even if you cut the frag plugs off when dipping. little buggers always get in.

How about those damn flatworms and aptisia? Unfortunately I have all three of them :angry: .

• Like 3
jedimasterben

Bristleworms are some of the most efficient cleanup crew members that you can buy. Or, well, can't really buy directly, anyway, lol. My tank is bare bottom and I don't think I can keep them for that reason :(

• Like 4

The biggest bristleworms in my 10g tank come out of the rocks, several inches above the sand. So there's hope for you, yet, Ben. :)

I think even with dipping, bristleworms make their way into the tank, because the tiny ones can get so far into deep cracks in the frags, where the dip doesn't get them. It would take repeated dips, and keeping them in a quarantine tank in between, to really be sure of not bringing them into the tank. But like Ben said, they're pretty good members of the clean up crew, so I'm OK with them. It's a little annoying when they come out and steal food from the corals when I target feed, but unless I overfeed, the numbers and sizes are low enough not to matter.

I've never tried all dry rock, although I thought about for this tank. I had great luck with 100% uncured live rock in the 10g, though. There were no pests at all, unless you count the curlicue anemone or the macro algae. Every pest I have in the 10g rode in with a frag, even though I dip every frag.

I think the uncured live rock really helps the tank get started because it's like transplanting a mature, balanced set of rocks right into the tank. Not only do you get established bacteria, you get all the other life forms that help establish a mature tank environment. Plus I get to observe all the new creatures appear out of nowhere for years :)

• Like 6
jedimasterben

The biggest bristleworms in my 10g tank come out of the rocks, several inches above the sand. So there's hope for you, yet, Ben. :)

I think even with dipping, bristleworms make their way into the tank, because the tiny ones can get so far into deep cracks in the frags, where the dip doesn't get them. It would take repeated dips, and keeping them in a quarantine tank in between, to really be sure of not bringing them into the tank.

I've actually had three people ship me bristleworms so far for the 40 and I have never seen a single one beyond the day I put them on the rocks.

Oh, also, normal dips can't really kill too many, but about 15 seconds in freshwater does this.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Those all came from about 10 pounds of live rock from 80 when I was rebooting it, so maybe there is some hope for the bunch that I've put in so far :D

• Like 2

3 seconds in h2o2 does about the same...

I've seen them wriggle and die pretty fast when treating algae with it outside the tank.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

:lol: that was totally me the other night!

Yay! I approve.

Same here, on my IM10. The rocks are towards the back, so putting the MP10 a little forward creates a nice gyre effect.

In this tank I'll probably do the same thing. I was thinking I'd put an MP10 down low in the back if I needed more flow in the dead spots. But since you pointed out the space limitation in the back of the bookshelf, I'm thinking I'll do a Jebao RW-4, or something else that doesn't have a big dry side.

Thanks! I'll be watching how your cycle goes with interest, since I'll be starting one of my own here. Every cycle seems to go a little differently and I learn something new every time.

Have you thought about a tunze 6040 nanostream . Very hideable wet side and the dry side is no more than 1/2". Hides behind rockwork and pushes a great amount of flow. I have one in my 29 and other than the return its all the flow I need. Dialed in at about 20% too.

• Like 1

I've actually had three people ship me bristleworms so far for the 40 and I have never seen a single one beyond the day I put them on the rocks.

Oh, also, normal dips can't really kill too many, but about 15 seconds in freshwater does this.

IMG_6297.jpg

IMG_6308.jpg

Those all came from about 10 pounds of live rock from 80 when I was rebooting it, so maybe there is some hope for the bunch that I've put in so far :D

Good luck keeping them, Ben!

3 seconds in h2o2 does about the same...

I've seen them wriggle and die pretty fast when treating algae with it outside the tank.

I've seen the same thing, either FW or a peroxide dip gets them pretty quickly. But I've also seen them come back after a dip because there were teeny tiny ones buried deep in the frag where the dip didn't penetrate quickly enough to get them before removing the frag from the dip.

I'm pretty sure that repeated, proactive dipping would get rid of them all if it was really important to do so :)

Have you thought about a tunze 6040 nanostream . Very hideable wet side and the dry side is no more than 1/2". Hides behind rockwork and pushes a great amount of flow. I have one in my 29 and other than the return its all the flow I need. Dialed in at about 20% too.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I have thought about getting one of those, so it's good to hear from someone that has one and likes it. Have you used an RW-4? How do they compare? The RW-4 definitely has price going for it :)

Have two running off the apex as well via a jeabo to apex junction box. They work really well, endless flow options with the apex.

• Like 3