SaltCritters.com

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

you shouldn't worry about the tunze 9004. I knew from the beginning that it had to be placed in the return chamber, but it fits perfectly and doesn't restrict the water coming into the return.

I have it turned so the magnet is attached to the skimmer column side and not the side of the tank side. I noticed when the magnet was on the outside, it wasn't as secure. Also, I've noticed when i'm trying to put the skimmer cup back on the unit, at times, the unit gets pushed down slightly. I have read that people cut a plastic cup and place it at the under the tunze to keep it from sagging down more.

hope this helps. I've seen pictures of people using the cadlight skimmer and tunze / ghost desktop is the way to go for a more minimalist look.

• Like 1

Live rock in the house :)

26798219343_b0942967dd_b.jpg20160601_183513.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

To keep some of the detritus cleared out, I hooked up one of these to the power head. I haven't used one of these in about ten years.

Gratuitous toe shot left in just for Kimberbee, I know how much she loves toes :lol:

26798220673_1d4df7d2a3_b.jpg20160601_190436.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oh no!! Toes!!

Glad you got your tank! Mine arrives Friday!!

• Like 2

Wow teeny, you have been busy! The tank looks awesome, the rock looks great and I love how perfectly it fits in the space you had designated for it. You are off to a terrific start. I also like stella's reference to your teenager tank, ha ha!

• Like 2

Thanks, Gena! I've always had great luck with your fish suggestions, so I'm sold! I agree that it's worth giving it a try, there are always other people and tanks where he can go live if it doesn't work out.

I am missing my PSW so badly :(. I think about getting another and then I talk myself out of it. But I want another so badly LOL.

Your new tank looks fantastic! It's a perfect fit :). This is very exciting!!!!!! The LR looks so pretty too.

• Like 3

Ehh, I wouldn't worry. Looks great where it's at. Can't wait to see it glowing like a box of Crayola Crayons :^ )

That's good because it's not moving even a fraction of an inch ;)

I would probably move the picture of the kid incase it gets damaged by water. but looking good.

The pictures get rearranged tonight when I get home from work. I didn't think my wife would appreciate me hammering nails at one o'clock in the morning :)

• Like 5

Now this is a tank build, tank and all!

Do you know what lights yet? Radion so you can get the most out of the reeflink ?

• Like 1
Orangutran

Hope you've got enough space on the left to stick your hand between the wall and glass, so you can use a mag float! My tank is like yours, squished in a builtin shelf, and I'm just lucky I have skinny arms...

• Like 1

Hope you've got enough space on the left to stick your hand between the wall and glass, so you can use a mag float! My tank is like yours, squished in a builtin shelf, and I'm just lucky I have skinny arms...

There's room in the part in front of the shelves, but not in the back part. I'm going to place the rocks so that I have room to reach inside with a scraper.

Now this is a tank build, tank and all!

Do you know what lights yet? Radion so you can get the most out of the reeflink ?

Thanks!

Just got an email today from Dave. My wide quad Nanobox ships next week! This tank will have plenty of LED PAR and no shadows :)

It's wet but no pics?

This thread moves fast! The pictures were on the last page :)

• Like 3

The new Tunze 7004 skimmer came today, with a US plug this time. I ordered from Amazon and had it shipped overnight.

I called BRS today and they were very helpful, and offered to either exchange the unit or provide a refund. They paid return shipping costs as well. I promised them if they gave me a refund they'd get the money back from me eventually. :)

I just finished fishing the power cord down back behind the tank and through the hole in the counter to the power strip in the cupboard below. It would have been fairly easy, except there's not enough room to get my hand all the way down behind the tank, and the tank blocks part of the hole.

There was literally just barely enough room to force the plug through the hole past the edge of the tank. I had to use an electrical fish wire to pull the plug down to the hole, and then a combination of wiggling from below and pushing the edges of the plug with a long steel rod from above eventually got it through.

It's getting a little messy down below...

27395237496_1ca241d467_b.jpg20160603_000402.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That's about an hour of my life I'll never get back. :( But it didn't suck nearly as much as it would have sucked if the hole was too small, and I had to completely drain the tank, slide it out, and refill it just for one plug. So on the whole, I'm a happy camper tonight. :)

• Like 4

In other news, the dry rock from Reefcleaners came today. They look great!

30 lb. Box O' Rocks:

26822337673_4df3873012_b.jpg20160602_222245.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I put them in the other tub, just to get the worst of the dust and detritus off. Reefcleaners rock has a good reputation for not leaching, but a couple days in saltwater won't hurt anything.

This little tubs in the garage setup has gotten a little more complicated. The water was getting up to about 82.5 degrees, so I set up a small fan to cool off the tubs through evaporation. Which of course made them get too cool, so I had to add thermometers.

I left the tubs uncovered so that the live rock will get some light, and so the fan can blow over the water. Of course that means I need to add top off water now, so I clipped some zip ties to the side of the tubs to show the correct water level. I top off with RODI water once a day, just enough so that the water touches the bottom of the zip tie.

All I need now is a skimmer and a light and I'll have a nice little grow out facility in the garage. :lol:

26820671864_6e3cf17ae1_b.jpg20160603_001248.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Awesome, can't wait to see this develop. :) And your tanks are way nicer than mine has ever been. omgomgomg

Sorry, your tank is just plain awesome. But thanks :blush:

• Like 1

In other news, the dry rock from Reefcleaners came today. They look great!

30 lb. Box O' Rocks:

26822337673_4df3873012_b.jpg20160602_222245.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I put them in the other tub, just to get the worst of the dust and detritus off. Reefcleaners rock has a good reputation for not leaching, but a couple days in saltwater won't hurt anything.

This little tubs in the garage setup has gotten a little more complicated. The water was getting up to about 82.5 degrees, so I set up a small fan to cool off the tubs through evaporation. Which of course made them get too cool, so I had to add thermometers.

I left the tubs uncovered so that the live rock will get some light, and so the fan can blow over the water. Of course that means I need to add top off water now, so I clipped some zip ties to the side of the tubs to show the correct water level. I top off with RODI water once a day, just enough so that the water touches the bottom of the zip tie.

All I need now is a skimmer and a light and I'll have a nice little grow out facility in the garage. :lol:

26820671864_6e3cf17ae1_b.jpg20160603_001248.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Oh the things we spend money on. Charlie brown gets rocks for free on halloween! Are you planning to use the ceramic stones that you have soaking with the dry rock? Love your innovative garage setup. Couldn't do that here with temps reaching well above 90 theses days.

• Like 1

The new Tunze 7004 skimmer came today, with a US plug this time. I ordered from Amazon and had it shipped overnight.

I called BRS today and they were very helpful, and offered to either exchange the unit or provide a refund. They paid return shipping costs as well. I promised them if they gave me a refund they'd get the money back from me eventually. :)

I just finished fishing the power cord down back behind the tank and through the hole in the counter to the power strip in the cupboard below. It would have been fairly easy, except there's not enough room to get my hand all the way down behind the tank, and the tank blocks part of the hole.

There was literally just barely enough room to force the plug through the hole past the edge of the tank. I had to use an electrical fish wire to pull the plug down to the hole, and then a combination of wiggling from below and pushing the edges of the plug with a long steel rod from above eventually got it through.

It's getting a little messy down below...

27395237496_1ca241d467_b.jpg20160603_000402.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

That's about an hour of my life I'll never get back. :( But it didn't suck nearly as much as it would have sucked if the hole was too small, and I had to completely drain the tank, slide it out, and refill it just for one plug. So on the whole, I'm a happy camper tonight. :)

Is this really a Teeny build?! Those cords are waaaaaay to messy to be his build ;) I give him a week until it starts to bother his cord OCD :D

• Like 5
Slowtwitch

I hate your garage. It's waaay too organized. I'm coming down there to set things right and mess it up a bit. Might steal a couple of those sweet tools too. Just sayin.

• Like 2
Orangutran

I hate your garage. It's waaay too organized. I'm coming down there to set things right and mess it up a bit. Might steal a couple of those sweet tools too. Just sayin.

Notice how the purple tubs are perfectly aligned? Who does that? :P

• Like 3

Notice how the purple tubs are perfectly aligned? Who does that? :P

:lol: I've noticed this hobby seems to hold a strong appeal to OCD people like me :P

Cant wait to see what sort of scape you come up with! Everything is looking awesome!

Thanks!

Is this really a Teeny build?! Those cords are waaaaaay to messy to be his build ;) I give him a week until it starts to bother his cord OCD :D

See above, re: OCD. I give it until the end of the weekend. I'm already twitching. :scarry:

Oh the things we spend money on. Charlie brown gets rocks for free on halloween! Are you planning to use the ceramic stones that you have soaking with the dry rock? Love your innovative garage setup. Couldn't do that here with temps reaching well above 90 theses days.

Thanks! It's really amazing to me how much cooling you can get from a small fan due to evaporation. And yeah, it's always cracked me up that we not only pay good money for rocks, but if they have life on them, we pay even more to get them shipped overnight.

My live rock was $4 per pound, but it was an additional $75.0 per pound for shipping!

If I could have gotten a 60 pound minimum order, I could have shipped it via air freight for only $1.50 per pound. So 10 lbs cost $115, but 60 lbs would have cost $250. Way cheaper per pound, but I don't have any local reefer friends to share the costs with. :(

• Like 2