ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

8 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I like that no-namer! I picked up a small frag of something similar recently, a mystery blue tenius. Only photo I have is under room lighting tho. 

yQnbsGA.jpg

That looks like the same coral to me. I really like the colors. 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Ha ha, you are too easy tiny!

I know! I was already tempted, so all it took was being called out and I folded like a cheap lawn chair. 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, pappadumplingz said:

Nice frags mate! Rootin for you to win the comp

Thanks! I'm not expecting much, corals seem to grow slowly in this tank. But it will be fun comparing what happens with each contestant. 

• Like 1

In @Cannedfish's tank thread we were talking about how some corals just seem to encrust without ever growing up. Hilarity ensued as it always does in his thread. But just in the last month, the katropora in this tank became a great example of how a coral can encrust forever and then suddenly start popping up all over. Here are some time sequence pictures:

April 9, 2017, right after I got it from @drgibby, all browned out from 2-day shipping:

katropora

May 29, 2017. Starting to encrust, but stubbornly bright green:

Katropora

November 1, 2017. Boooooring.

Katropora

February 3, 2017. Zzzzzzzzzzz....wait, there are some tiny bits of blue in there!

20180203-untitled-039.jpg

March 29, 2018. Almost a year later. OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!! omgomgomg

Katropora

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

By the way, the bright highlighter green coral to the left of the katropora is a green slimer that has been encrusting since I got it long before the katropora. And it's still encrusting with no sign of upward growth at all...

pappadumplingz

Jeez the eye candy today. Recently have gotten onto the acro addiction as well, the blokes at my lfs broke a frag of a 40 dollar colony and gave it to me for a fiver 2 days ago.

• Like 1

Curious, what do you run your nano-box lights at? and what t5 bulbs are you using? My set-up is somewhat similar but I really have no idea what to run mine at so just been guessing and adjusting slowly. My tank is smaller so my fixture is a good 14 inches up atm.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Tamberav said:

Curious, what do you run your nano-box lights at? and what t5 bulbs are you using? My set-up is somewhat similar but I really have no idea what to run mine at so just been guessing and adjusting slowly. My tank is smaller so my fixture is a good 14 inches up atm.

The blues and violets  are at 85%, cyan 65, lime 24, white 10 percent. That's midday of course. T5's are ATI Blue Plus. The lights are about six or eight inches above the water. 

• Thanks 1
On 3/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Tamberav said:

• Thanks 1

Growth pics in general are pretty awesome, but your documentation here is particularly impressive. I'm not sure what I like better though, the progression or the third caption. That being said I need to start obnoxiously yelling  "Boooooring" at people on a more frequent basis. For example, every Monday when you politely ask the rhetorical question "Cindy, how was your weekend?" According to the time honored corporate social contract, unless you were wounded in a vicious knife fight with a foreign street gang while simultaneously saving a baby and preventing a fire at a local animal shelter (or quitting), the correct answer to this question is "It was good." If you want to get saucy and mix it up, you might say, "Sure beats Monday, eh!" You do not, however, respond "Well my kids were sick, stomach flu. Little Bobby couldn't stop throwing up. So then my mom came over, and you know her, always fussing about my...blah blah blah." Nobody cares, not even sick little Bobby. This is where "Boooooring!" would come in: Me: "Good Morning Cindy. How was your weekend?" Cindy: "Well, Albert had went golfing with the boys, and you know how that..." Me (interupting): "Boooooring!" Then saunters away with the satisfied smile indicative of the Defender of Corporate Social Contract.

Wow, that got off topic quickly... More on topic, I must say, while this growth does give me hope that maybe one day, in the distant future, one of my acros will get tired of crushing my spirit and decide to grow vertically, I'm not,however, counting on it. If there is one thing I'm good at, it's the ability to pick out acros that have the indomitable character traits of a Crusty Massachusetts Laabstaman (phonetically correct). Basically, they live to trample on my moral resolve. This is probably not great for my chances in the grow out contest. I really need to start my dastardly scheming on ways to cheat. 

Great pictures though!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
HarryPotter
5 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

^ I think I just died reading this :lol: 

I had to read it three times to understand what the heck he was saying xD 

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Growth pics in general are pretty awesome, but your documentation here is particularly impressive. I'm not sure what I like better though, the progression or the third caption. That being said I need to start obnoxiously yelling  "Boooooring" at people on a more frequent basis. For example, every Monday when you politely ask the rhetorical question "Cindy, how was your weekend?" According to the time honored corporate social contract, unless you were wounded in a vicious knife fight with a foreign street gang while simultaneously saving a baby and preventing a fire at a local animal shelter (or quitting), the correct answer to this question is "It was good." If you want to get saucy and mix it up, you might say, "Sure beats Monday, eh!" You do not, however, respond "Well my kids were sick, stomach flu. Little Bobby couldn't stop throwing up. So then my mom came over, and you know her, always fussing about my...blah blah blah." Nobody cares, not even sick little Bobby. This is where "Boooooring!" would come in: Me: "Good Morning Cindy. How was your weekend?" Cindy: "Well, Albert had went golfing with the boys, and you know how that..." Me (interupting): "Boooooring!" Then saunters away with the satisfied smile indicative of the Defender of Corporate Social Contract.

q3iCWqE.gif

Nice to meet you Walt.

@teenyreef, I had to come and check things out again after the lanthanum discussion.  Looking good!  

• Like 1
pappadumplingz
On 03/04/2018 at 12:07 AM, Cannedfish said:

Wow, that got off topic quickly... More on topic, I must say, while this growth does give me hope that maybe one day, in the distant future, one of my acros will get tired of crushing my spirit and decide to grow vertically, I'm not,however, counting on it. If there is one thing I'm good at, it's the ability to pick out acros that have the indomitable character traits of a Crusty Massachusetts Laabstaman (phonetically correct). Basically, they live to trample on my moral resolve. This is probably not great for my chances in the grow out contest. I really need to start my dastardly scheming on ways to cheat. 

Great pictures though!

Actually did witness a gang fight in Malaysia in a mall, so what am I allowed to say to violate the social construct :lol:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Great pictures though!

Lol, I'm gonna go to work tomorrow wearing my "Defender of Corporate Social Contract" badge :happydance:

I never thought I'd be lucky enough to have this problem, but I'm actually running out of room for corals to encrust as they grow up and out.

9 hours ago, --chris-- said:

q3iCWqE.gif

Nice to meet you Walt.

@teenyreef, I had to come and check things out again after the lanthanum discussion.  Looking good!  

:lol: Thanks!

8 hours ago, sugar said:

I'm hooked on your setup too!  So good!  Some of the best colors I've seen.  Enthusiastically following!! :happy:

Thank you! I just checked out your tank thread so I can follow along. I almost like the IM25 better than the 40 - the shallower tank is much easier to work with. But someday I'll be glad for the extra space for corals to grow up, and the extra water definitely lets me keep more fish.

Spoiler alert: I have a bunch of pictures I need to get posted, but I've just been too busy. Sorry for the tease! Here are a few just for tonight, though.

View from my chair in the family room. Oops, the glass is dirty, I guess you get to see what things are really like most of the time :blush:

Don't mind the anime...

2018-04-02_06-51-04

The RG Project X fungia ate VERY well last night and got super puffy. I think it's trying to split eventually.

RG Project X Fungia

The fathead dendro babies are almost as big as the original head was when I first got it. There are more babies around the back, too.

Fathead Dendros

Here's a better look at the clams (or whatever kind of mollusc those are) to the right of the dendros:

20180330-untitled-019-Edit.jpg

Top down view of the fungia:

RG Project X Fungia

And the acan garden...the colors are still pretty, but not as intense as they used to be. For example, all of the red/orange ones used to be various rainbow types. I'm sure it's because the lighting is too bright for them. I may try doing a bit of a rescape to move them back in the shady area in the middle of the tank under the rocks. Someday.

Acan Garden

These favia fell off the rocks where they used to be and sat on the sand in the shade for a couple weeks before I got around to moving them. They lost the red colors they had when I first got them. But I've never been able to figure out if they need a lot more light, or a lot less light. My guess is a lot less, though.

ASD Favia

• Like 5
7 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Do fungia split? I thought they just grew bigger and bigger... 

When I got it from ReefGen (at a coral show), Laura from ReefGen said it's an unusual fungia - it encrusts on rocks and eventually splits. So far I believe her since it has definitely encrusted on the rocks like she described.

Of course I didn't ask how big they have to be to split. Maybe it will take over my whole tank first :lol:

6 hours ago, AvaS said:

Your tank is gorgeous and thanks for the great update! The bright orange/ Golden acan is amazing and I totally need one in the new tank!! 

Thanks! Those are some of my favorites too, so of course they grow slower than the others :)

• Wow 1

As promised, here are a few more pictures. I concentrated on individual coral pictures the other night, trying to build a catalog of all the corals in the tank. After I got done, I realized I'd totally forgotten to do the monti caps and the zoas. Oh well...

Here's the new Walt Disney Tenuis frag. I glued it up high in the center of the tank after spending a couple weeks on the frag rack getting acclimated to the light. So far it seems very healthy with good PE, which is all I ask at this point. Next step is to encrust, then hopefully I'll start to see new growth and good colors.

WD Tenuis

Tubbs Stellata Montipora. Something stung it a couple months ago, you can see some of the brown spots on the higher branches. But it's been recovering nicely.

Tubbs Stellata Montipora

Blueberry Shortcake, according to the vendor I got it from. We'll see what it does when it finally stops encrusting and starts growing branches. But those blue highlights on the new growth edges look promising.

Blueberry Shortcake

ASD Showcase style is getting big. I've already taken two frags of it for the 10g and the contest jar.

ASD Showcase Stylo

Good old green star polyps. I thought this picture looked kind of cool.

Green Star Polyps

Evil favites in the back corner where they can't destroy the world like they think is their destiny.

Evil Favites

CC Voodoo Magick. There is actual PE in this picture if you look closely omgomgomg

CC Voodoo Magick

California Tort. This guy sticks out in a spot that's easy for me to catch with my hand, arm, turkey baster, tongs, algae scraper, etc. I'm constantly breaking off little branches. The last one I broke off went into the frag tank and from there into the jar.

California Tort

Elkhorn stag. This guy has the same problem with constant breakage because it sticks out the back of the rocks towards the wall. The color isn't anything special but the growth pattern is really cool. I have tons of frags of this in the frag tank now.

Elkhorn Stag

That's it for tonight! More to come tomorrow :)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1