Pod Your Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

Any reason you opt for live rock over dry for a brand new tank? I do the same but just curious what your reasoning is...

• Like 1

Any reason you opt for live rock over dry for a brand new tank? I do the same but just curious what your reasoning is...

I'm actually doing a combination. There's thirty pounds of dry rock coming from Reefcleaners tomorrow, and I'll use the ten pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock.

I really like the variety of life on the live rock, and the quality of the rock from KPA is very good with very few, if any pests. And you start off with a very full spectrum of bacteria already established in the rock. But my favorite part is finding all the little critters that grow up out of nowhere for years to come. :)

• Like 6

Im to nervous for live rock but i can see the many benefits. It would be fun to see what extras would pop up and also would speed up the cycle.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

I'm actually doing a combination. There's thirty pounds of dry rock coming from Reefcleaners tomorrow, and I'll use the ten pounds of live rock to seed the dry rock.

I really like the variety of life on the live rock, and the quality of the rock from KPA is very good with very few, if any pests. And you start off with a very full spectrum of bacteria already established in the rock. But my favorite part is finding all the little critters that grow up out of nowhere for years to come. :)

I feel the same about the rock...just couldn't set up a reef tank without at least some good live rock :)

Following along...

• Like 3

I feel the same about the rock...just couldn't set up a reef tank without at least some good live rock :)

Following along...

Thanks! After starting with a 4g tank and then moving up to a 10g, this tank feels enormous!

So, can anyone else spot the problem here? I didn't notice until tonight :(

26798218273_5ed673ee32_b.jpg20160601_183020.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

The live rock finally came! It's in great shape, smells clean, like it just came out of the ocean. I put it straight in one of the tubs so hopefully there will be minimal die off and cycling.

Is it bad that when it showed up I left the dinner table and didn't come back until it was all unboxed and in the tub?

Hmmmm...is it bad that my family was unsurprised by this behavior?

:lol: Sounds like our house.

Thanks! After starting with a 4g tank and then moving up to a 10g, this tank feels enormous!

The plug looks funky....

• Like 3

So is your tank going to be located in Europe haha...

:lol: Sounds like our house.

The plug looks funky....

So is your tank going to be located in Europe haha...

Yep. Sadly, no skimmer love for me tonight :(

Unless I fly to Germany.

I'll have to return this one to BRS. I'm disappointed because I really wanted to see if the flow will work this skimmer in chamber 1. Others have reported they got it to work, but I never saw a picture or a comment about how well it worked.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

"Zat vill vork in zee vaterland, ja!"

Disappointing, though...

• Like 6
Elizabeth94

Sucks about the skimmer Teeny, but the tank really does just fit doesn't it?! Wow

I am guessing you are going to move that shelf a lot higher so that you can get to the media basket and such during maintenance. Your live rock looks pretty awesome B)
Cant wait to see your rock scape!
  • Like 1

How the hell can they accidentally send the wrong plugged unit?

"Zat vill vork in zee vaterland, ja!"

Disappointing, though...

My guess is that they somehow got the wrong thing from Tunze. Maybe. The box was sealed, but it didn't really seem quite properly packed, and the two halves of the skimmer had popped apart (they come apart for cleaning), and that shouldn't have happened if it was properly padded and packed. So something just wasn't quite right to begin with.

• Like 1
Slowtwitch

My guess is that they somehow got the wrong thing from Tunze. Maybe. The box was sealed, but it didn't really seem quite properly packed, and the two halves of the skimmer had popped apart (they come apart for cleaning), and that shouldn't have happened if it was properly padded and packed. So something just wasn't quite right to begin with.

Mine arrived popped apart like that as well. I had a he'll of a time getting it back together too. It did finally snap into place but not without much cursing and fear of it breaking.
  • Like 1

Mine arrived popped apart like that as well. I had a he'll of a time getting it back together too. It did finally snap into place but not without much cursing and fear of it breaking.

Same here! At first I wasn't sure if it was broken, or if it was supposed to come apart like that.

• Like 2

BRS should step up and overnight the proper unit to you!!!

I emailed them but haven't heard back yet. I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon overnight since I have Prime. I'm going to ask BRS for a refund, and I can pretty much guarantee they'll get the money back when I order the next thing Real Soon Now.
  • Like 3

It fit! :happydance:

And it's almost wet :)

All the equipment is in place except for the skimmer, and everything's plugged in to the Apex underneath.

So far the only unplanned issue with the fit of the tank is that the hole that I cut for the cords in the back corner isn't quite as far back as it could be (since it didn't matter when I cut it for the IM10). So the back of the tank pushes against the cords and it can't quite go all the way back to the wall. But it goes back far enough that the entire tank is supported, and that's what counts. -_-

27310675732_f494632286_b.jpg20160601_233654.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

That looks great, teeny........gonna be some color in that corner!

.....maybe move the poor graduate out of the salty mist zone.

• Like 5

That looks great, teeny........gonna be some color in that corner!

.....maybe move the poor graduate out of the salty mist zone.

Yeah, I think she's ready to move up. Literally :lol:

It's wet!

26802670143_a204ab7ef3_b.jpg20160602_003511.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27375821126_2d9401f748_b.jpg20160602_003610.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27338228531_e57a63c4a1_b.jpg20160602_003725.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It's going to be a little difficult getting a straight angle FTS. The entertainment center blocks that view so the camera has to be above the entertainment center, or else too close to get the whole tank. Maybe I'll have to check into a fish eye lens or something. :blink:

• Like 12

Looks great, nicely done......how's access to the back chambers?

Thanks!

I adjusted the shelf above to the exact height needed to ease the media basket in and out. And you will notice there are only three things on the shelf, so I can remove it completely if I need to. :D

I can reach to the bottom of the display chamber easily, but to get below the first five or six inches in the back chambers, I need a step stool. And lord help me if I ever have to do anything on the outside of the glass behind the front of the bookcase. :unsure:

• Like 6

Thanks!

I adjusted the shelf above to the exact height needed to ease the media basket in and out. And you will notice there are only three things on the shelf, so I can remove it completely if I need to. :D

I can reach to the bottom of the display chamber easily, but to get below the first five or six inches in the back chambers, I need a step stool. And lord help me if I ever have to do anything on the outside of the glass behind the front of the bookcase. :unsure:

Ehh, I wouldn't worry. Looks great where it's at. Can't wait to see it glowing like a box of Crayola Crayons :^ )

• Like 2

Yeah, I think she's ready to move up. Literally :lol:

It's wet!

26802670143_a204ab7ef3_b.jpg20160602_003511.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27375821126_2d9401f748_b.jpg20160602_003610.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

27338228531_e57a63c4a1_b.jpg20160602_003725.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

It's going to be a little difficult getting a straight angle FTS. The entertainment center blocks that view so the camera has to be above the entertainment center, or else too close to get the whole tank. Maybe I'll have to check into a fish eye lens or something. :blink:

I would probably move the picture of the kid incase it gets damaged by water. but looking good.

• Like 1