SaltCritters.com

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

On 6/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, drgibby said:

The wife moves to North Carolina this July.  Then next year she graduates and we can set up some roots 🙂.  Trust me i miss the salt water 😞 

What part of North Carolina? I'm about an hour from Charlotte and have lived in various parts of the state.  :smilie:

19 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Just got back from a short trip, and the tank did fine. But the algae is still growing strong and really started to get bad since I wasn't around to keep it under control. Good news though, by letting it grow out, it's structure is more obvious and I can identify it now. The bad news is, it's bryopsis... 

That does explain why nothing I've done with nutrient control has done anything to the algae. 

I started to suspect bryopsis about a week ago when adjusting nutrient levels wasn't helping, so I ordered some Fluco then and it came in over the weekend. The fluconazole treatment started tonight! 

Some ugly algae pics:

20180621-untitled-002.jpg

20180621-untitled-021.jpg

That's some impressive bryopsis growth! :eek: Hope the fluconazole works!

• Like 1
On 6/22/2018 at 1:22 AM, Lula_Mae said:

What part of North Carolina? I'm about an hour from Charlotte and have lived in various parts of the state.  :smilie:

That's some impressive bryopsis growth! :eek: Hope the fluconazole works!

Shes Moving to Raleigh to work at North Carolina State University in there Counseling center 🙂

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, drgibby said:

Shes Moving to Raleigh to work at North Carolina State University in there Counseling center 🙂

Nice! I know there's a few salt stores in the area but not super familiar with them as I haven't lived there since I was five lol. 

• Wow 1
Skeeterific
On 6/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, drgibby said:

I'm working on my Masters at NC State! When you visit Raleigh check out Fintastic Aquariums, they have a great stock and prices (fun to check out even if you're out of the game for now). Also come by the Fish Room, I work there! 😉

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Skeeterific said:

I'm working on my Masters at NC State! When you visit Raleigh check out Fintastic Aquariums, they have a great stock and prices (fun to check out even if you're out of the game for now). Also come by the Fish Room, I work there! 😉

We move her down on the 20th of this month 🙂 ill have to see if i can stop by during one of my many visits.   

Sorry for the thread hijack Teeny.   Hows the Bryopsis doing..

• Like 2
Skeeterific

Oh yeah, great tank Teeny! 😁 Was sorry to hear about the Coral Beauty, but congrats on TOTM, this tank deserves it for sure. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Skeeterific said:

Oh yeah, great tank Teeny! 😁 Was sorry to hear about the Coral Beauty, but congrats on TOTM, this tank deserves it for sure. 

Thanks! I'm bummed about the CB but I haven't decided whether to replace him, either with another CB, or some other fish.

The new yellow coris wrasse is doing great, he's out all the time now and doesn't go to bed until late, when the lights go out. So I'm undecided whether to add another fish due to the increased bioload, and the possibility of coral nipping.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, drgibby said:

We move her down on the 20th of this month 🙂 ill have to see if i can stop by during one of my many visits.   

Sorry for the thread hijack Teeny.   Hows the Bryopsis doing..

That's great! My brother-in-law lives in the Raleigh area too.

I'm not sure about the bryopsis. A few days after treatment, I saw some discoloration of the algae, and I removed a bunch by hand, in the areas I posted previously. So far, everything has died back in those areas. But other areas that had a lot of algae that I didn't remove by hand seem unaffected. So I may try another round.

• Like 2
Skeeterific

Seeing your CB behaving well in your tank actually contributed to my risking the coral nipping and getting a dwarf angel of my own. So far so good. I've always wondered if maybe the smaller you get them the less likely they are to have gotten a taste for coral before they were caught and might therefore be a safer bet. Mine is tiny and a very good fish, but I guess a sample size of one isn't worth much!

Either way, I would love to see another angel in this tank, though that's easy to say since it's not my coral at risk!

• Like 2
On 7/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, Skeeterific said:

Seeing your CB behaving well in your tank actually contributed to my risking the coral nipping and getting a dwarf angel of my own. So far so good. I've always wondered if maybe the smaller you get them the less likely they are to have gotten a taste for coral before they were caught and might therefore be a safer bet. Mine is tiny and a very good fish, but I guess a sample size of one isn't worth much!

Either way, I would love to see another angel in this tank, though that's easy to say since it's not my coral at risk!

I'm glad to hear yours is doing well! I really don't have any reason to believe mine ever bothered the corals other than the fact that I didn't used to have much PE. But I still don't know if the demise of my CB had anything to do with the improved PE I got. With the bryopsis problem over the last couple months, I've notived PE has decreased again and coral growth has slowed. So it may be more to do with parameters than anything else. I'm still thinking about getting another one. Or at least some other kind of "centerpiece" fish 🙂

• Like 1

I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! I've been busy with travel and work, but I'm taking off until Monday and got some time to take an updated FTS and top down. Since I last posted, the bryopsis has really started to die back, so hopefully I won't have to repeat the treatment 🙂

2018-07-04 FTS:

IM40 FTS 2018-07-04

2018-07-04 Top Down:

20180704-untitled-013-2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 1
Cannedfish

Hot dog! Tank's sure hangin' in there like a hair in a biscuit!

Also it looks like your red dragon is fixing to have a growth explosion!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'ma be right across the creek from you next Friday at Kiptopeke State Park doing some mullet netting. If you're looking for another CBA, I have one here, she's big and looking for a new home. I've had her for close to 3 years. She's a dark Philippines coloured CBA.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I'ma be right across the creek from you next Friday at Kiptopeke State Park doing some mullet netting. If you're looking for another CBA, I have one here, she's big and looking for a new home. I've had her for close to 3 years. She's a dark Philippines coloured CBA.

Dang I'm just north of Kiptopeke this weekend at my parents house in Eastville. But I'm out of town next weekend. It's probably just as well, I don't need to add to the bioload after all the bryopsis anyway. But thanks for the offer. Sounds like a fun weekend anyway! 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:13 AM, Cannedfish said:

Hot dog! Tank's sure hangin' in there like a hair in a biscuit!

Also it looks like your red dragon is fixing to have a growth explosion!

Thanks! It's been a busy summer so I've been just keeping things going lately. But the red dragon is definitely doing well 😀

20180831-untitled-022-Edit.jpg

• Like 6
On 8/3/2018 at 11:54 AM, NovaZoa said:

Your tank is truly a spectacle, Teeny! One day hope to get my IM40 to the level of yours 🙂 

Thank you :blush:

Things are getting crowded!

20180831-untitled-012-Edit.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 4
5 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Dang I'm just north of Kiptopeke this weekend at my parents house in Eastville. But I'm out of town next weekend. It's probably just as well, I don't need to add to the bioload after all the bryopsis anyway. But thanks for the offer. Sounds like a fun weekend anyway! 

I don't know if any of your stores transship, but see if one of them does and see if they can get some Reef Abalones out of The Philippines. They LOVE Bryopsis.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2018 at 10:06 AM, dferrari13 said:

Do you still have the 10 gallon up and running?

Yep, it's doing fine, I've just been terrible with updates this summer. Thanks for asking!