ReefCleaners.org

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

36 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

He already has one! At this rate his “frag” tank will be totm-ready in about, hmmm, a year?

If it did, I think it would be the first frag tank to make it. 😄

1 hour ago, Sancho said:

Teeny continues to bring the sexy....congrats 

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Wow! Simply wow! 

Congrats on TOTM!!

40 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Grats! Time to set up another tank to get TOTM with 😄

Thanks, everyone!

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

How’s CR’s new release acro doing?

Do you mean the microlados? Or something else?

21 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Ahhh, yes, that one :wub:

It lost some color right away, which is normal. I'm seeing the right colors come back already, but they're not super bright yet. My most recent picture isn't very good, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like now. I think the Fox Flame on the left is getting just the right amount of light, but the PC Rainbow in the lower left is definitely not getting enough. I'm not sure about the new guy yet, but I think he might want more light.

20180603-untitled-021-2.jpg

• Like 3

Love the Acro pictures.  The slimer will be interesting since once the base is done branch growth is going to be, um, interesting?.  The smallest branch I have is as wide as my pinky, most index finger or thumb diameter.  :D   You can probably imagine why it needs a big base.  It's also fun that you have the slimer next to the purple stylo.  Mine have lived next to each other for years and it's a tossup who wins when branches meet.  

TOTM well deserved of course, beautiful scape and colors.  

• Like 2
3 hours ago, spectra said:

Congrats what is this number 3 or 4 hell who knows :biggrin: get enough and CM can do a tank of the year award :wink:

19 hours ago, xtra0t said:

Stunning tank. ‘Grats. 

12 hours ago, DaveFason said:

I have no idea how I missed your TOTM but congrats. Hard work, dedication and a little luck 😛

-Dave

11 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Congrats on TOTM. Well deserved. 

11 hours ago, AvaS said:

Congrats on TOTM Teeny! Well deserved your tank is beautiful in every way! 🎉

10 hours ago, CAD-Aqua said:

Congratulations for TOTM! 

6 hours ago, Indiana Reefin said:

Congrats! Well deserved! Hard work and persistence pays off! Thanks for being an inspiration to us all. 

6 hours ago, burtbollinger said:

congrats, tank is beautiful

6 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

CONGRATS! It's well deserved.

3 hours ago, spectra said:

Congrats what is this number 3 or 4 hell who knows :biggrin: get enough and CM can do a tank of the year award :wink:

Thank you thank you thank you to all of you! :blush: :biggrin:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, markalot said:

Love the Acro pictures.  The slimer will be interesting since once the base is done branch growth is going to be, um, interesting?.  The smallest branch I have is as wide as my pinky, most index finger or thumb diameter.  😄  You can probably imagine why it needs a big base.  It's also fun that you have the slimer next to the purple stylo.  Mine have lived next to each other for years and it's a tossup who wins when branches meet.  

TOTM well deserved of course, beautiful scape and colors.  

Thanks, Mark! And that's a great point about how it needs a large base - I never thought of that.

It's already fighting with the Katropora at the base. It will be interesting when the branches start to compete with the stylo.

• Like 1

I got a new yellow coris wrasse yesterday. I'm hoping he will help reduce the hair worm population. They seem to have increased significantly since I lost the previous one. They've also increased since I lost the coral beauty angelfish, so I don't really know for sure how much just the wrasse will help, as it might have been the angel that was helping keep them in check.

Or it could be that neither fish has anything to do with it and they population is blooming for some other reason. But I like the wrasse anyway so he's a good addition to the tank. I put him in yesterday and he burrowed straight into the sand. I haven't seen him since, of course :rolleyes:

In other news, in a classic mistake, I increased the NoPox dosing in an attempt to improve the algae, but now nitrates are at zero, phosphates are at .01, and the algae is growing faster than ever. Plus I've noticed a couple of the acros changing color - not overly pale yet, but not as intense.  So clearly the problem wasn't due to high nutrients. I turned off the NoPox doser for the next couple days, and added 5ml of Seachem Flourish to restore some nitrates and phosphates. I'll measure again tonight to see where things are. I don't want to increase nitrates too fast and make everything turn brown. Although that would be OK if it got rid of the algae!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kdrof said:

Congrats on the TOTM Teeny! Hope you can get that algae squared away.

Thanks! Me too 🙂

The Teenster,awesome awesome awesome work you have managed to accomplish. I'm glad to see nothing happened with all that bad weather you guys were getting up there. Congrats on TOTM too,well deserved buddy. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

The Teenster,awesome awesome awesome work you have managed to accomplish. I'm glad to see nothing happened with all that bad weather you guys were getting up there. Congrats on TOTM too,well deserved buddy. 

Thanks! My particular neck of the woods avoided the worst of the bad weather, fortunately. 

• Like 1

I spotted the yellow coris wrasse swimming around earlier today so he's still alive :biggrin:

I sent in an ATI test kit a week or so ago and the results have been posted. Calcium is low (which I knew) at about 370. Aluminum was also a bit elevated, which I've seen come and go. I'll probably put in another dose of Panta Lith, which has turned out to be a universal fix for unwanted elements. But I will have wait until I get my nutrients back up since Panta Lith also cleans up nitrates and phosphates.

My RODI results are a little more concerning. Everything was zero except for silica which was high at 700 ug/l. So even though my TDS meter was still reading zero, I ordered a new set of filters for the RODI unit including a Silica Buster DI cartridge. That silica can't be helping my algae control efforts at all!

• Like 3