Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

I had the viewing port out to take some pictures of the upscales microlados for the grow out contest. I took a bunch of close ups, but the best picture of it came from this quick shot I took with the camera zoomed out. Btw, that's the Walt Disney acro next to it in the cropped photo. As you can see, it's doing well and slowly coloring up (a bit).

20180430-untitled-007-Edit.jpg

Upscales Microlados

• Like 9

It pains me to say it, but your acros are even more committed to the encrusting life than mine. Tank looks great though... except for your microlados, that looks frag looks like a loser. You got nothing microlados, nothing!

• Haha 3
14 hours ago, Squared said:

damn you have some nice stuff

I wish I had time for SPS haha

Thanks! You gotta love fuzzy sticks to spend the time on them that they need, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Things are getting a little crowded on that rock! :P

Looking great John. 

-D

I agree! There's going to have to be a tank upgrade sometime within the next year or so. Overcrowded acros is a Good Problem to have :)

6 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

It pains me to say it, but your acros are even more committed to the encrusting life than mine. Tank looks great though... except for your microlados, that looks frag looks like a loser. You got nothing microlados, nothing!

That little guy is going to be the late come from behind winner. Or the late RTN the day before the end of the contest loser. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I took a bunch of pictures the other night, but nearly all of them were out of focus. I think I had the camera just a little too close when using the viewing port. But a few of them did turn out, so I'll post them now while I work on getting new ones.

The higher PAR due to the new T5's is really helping. My pink acros turned pink again for the first time since I got them 🙂

Pink acro

I forgot to blow the sand off the monticaps 😞

20180518-untitled-036-Edit.jpg

20180518-untitled-038-Edit.jpg

The acans are losing a little color due to the higher PAR. I'm thinking about moving them back underneath the shadow of the higher rocks to give them a little less light.

Acan Garden

These are currently my favorite zoas:

20180518-untitled-041-Edit.jpg

• Like 12
  • Wow 2
Sharbuckle
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

I took a bunch of pictures the other night, but nearly all of them were out of focus. I think I had the camera just a little too close when using the viewing port. But a few of them did turn out, so I'll post them now while I work on getting new ones.

The higher PAR due to the new T5's is really helping. My pink acros turned pink again for the first time since I got them 🙂

Pink acro

The acans are losing a little color due to the higher PAR. I'm thinking about moving them back underneath the shadow of the higher rocks to give them a little less light.

Acan Garden

Whats the name of the blue zoos with the pinkish middle and greeny yellow skirts? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Pink acro

Acan Garden

Wow. Only response I can come up with is #### You. Looks great. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Whats the name of the blue zoos with the pinkish middle and greeny yellow skirts? 

Those are Coral MorphologicsAquafresh Vice zoas. They grow slowly, but I hope to frag them someday, since they don't seem to be readily available any more.

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Wow. Only response I can come up with is #### You. Looks great. 

Lol, thanks!

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Those are Coral MorphologicsAquafresh Vice zoas. They grow slowly, but I hope to frag them someday, since they don't seem to be readily available any more.

Lol, thanks!

Very nice, i think I recently purchased a colony of them, gotta wait to see if they color up. Any suggestions on getting them to that wicked color?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Very nice, i think I recently purchased a colony of them, gotta wait to see if they color up. Any suggestions on getting them to that wicked color?

Hmm, unfortunately, not really. Mine have always been that color no matter the conditions. 🙂

On 5/20/2018 at 8:15 PM, teenyreef said:

Pink acro

Acan Garden

T5's.  Now I have to go back and look.   Beautiful pictures, and corals.  That acro looks very happy.

• Like 1

PRETTY!! How did you get your acans to grow in so well together like that?? Did u just place them on a flat rock close to each other and let them grow in on their own? On or off frag plugs? Thanks and let me know!! Ur acro and entire tank looks great.. in a funk with my tank right now. 😓

• Like 1
On 5/21/2018 at 9:33 PM, markalot said:

T5's.  Now I have to go back and look.   Beautiful pictures, and corals.  That acro looks very happy.

Thanks! I don't know if it's because of the more even coverage and broader spectrum...but I doubt it. I think it's just because I got more PAR by adding them and that made most of the difference.

It still has a long way to go, though. Here's when I first put it in the tank:

Pink Tabling Acro

And when it was really green, almost a year ago:

Pink Acro Colony

• Like 2
22 hours ago, AvaS said:

PRETTY!! How did you get your acans to grow in so well together like that?? Did u just place them on a flat rock close to each other and let them grow in on their own? On or off frag plugs? Thanks and let me know!! Ur acro and entire tank looks great.. in a funk with my tank right now. 😓

Thank you! They are mostly on the original frag plugs. I glued some of the plugs together on their edges and then just buried them all in the sand and let them grow. Some are glued onto the rocks, too.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
32 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! I don't know if it's because of the more even coverage and broader spectrum...but I doubt it. I think it's just because I got more PAR by adding them and that made most of the difference.

It still has a long way to go, though. Here's when I first put it in the tank:

Pink Tabling Acro

And when it was really green, almost a year ago:

Pink Acro Colony

Curious where was your NBR quad max out at, setting-wise?  Have you pushed it all the way to 100% or near 100%? This one already has a wide quad on it, right?

8 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Curious where was your NBR quad max out at, setting-wise?  Have you pushed it all the way to 100% or near 100%? This one already has a wide quad on it, right?

At one point, mine was in the upper 80's...I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure I had blues at 90%. The problem I ran into was too much shadowing. The T5's even things out a lot. I've been slowly bringing the LEDs back up, and extending the photoperiod of the T5's (I overdid it at first and took a long time to allow the corals to recover).

I did get a few more good pictures the other night. Here's a partial top down of most of the sps:

20180520-untitled-005-Edit.jpg

The upscales microlados contest frag. I caught it in a good moment when it had some PE!

Upscales Microlados

The Walt Disney Tenuis, which is actually growing and is even getting a little color. This is the first time I've gotten a tenuis to do well (i.e., live for more than a month or two), so I think that's a great sign for how well the tank is doing.

WD Tenuis

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
17 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I did get a few more good pictures the other night. Here's a partial top down of most of the sps:

20180520-untitled-005-Edit.jpg

The upscales microlados contest frag. I caught it in a good moment when it had some PE!

Upscales Microlados

The Walt Disney Tenuis, which is actually growing and is even getting a little color. This is the first time I've gotten a tenuis to do well (i.e., live for more than a month or two), so I think that's a great sign for how well the tank is doing.

WD Tenuis

Total tank envy! Keep up the good work.

• Like 2