Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ummmmm....this may be ones of the weirder things I've seen. I don't know if it's having problems or if this is the splitting process that Laura at ReefGen told me about :unsure:

20180407_212032.jpg

Very cool, I hope!

• Like 2

My plate has recently had an 'appendage' similar to yours in the picture from a week ago, and I too have been wondering if it's planning on splitting. Also every now and then it seems to get all early '00 emo and deflates, looking all 'melty' like your most recent picture, however its on the sand bed so it can't go all "Salvador Dali" like yours. 

Dali.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 7
On 3/24/2018 at 7:30 PM, teenyreef said:

2018-03-18 IM40 Top Down

Holy wow. What are the blue zoas with pink centers, and the blue zoas with purple centers off to the right of your clown in this photo? The bottom look like miami vice but i havent seen the ones with purple centers before and they look great!

16 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

My plate has recently had an 'appendage' similar to yours in the picture from a week ago, and I too have been wondering if it's planning on splitting. Also every now and then it seems to get all early '00 emo and deflates, looking all 'melty' like your most recent picture, however its on the sand bed so it can't go all "Salvador Dali" like yours. 

Dali.png

I think this may be the most awesome thing in my entire thread :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

Can you cut that with scissors? Or no because no mouth 

I dunno :unsure:

I know you can frag them with a diamond saw to cut through the skeleton, and you don't need to have the mouth. But this guy is so different, and there's no skeleton in the droopy part. If there was, it wouldn't be droopy.

I think (hope) it may be trying to attach to another piece of rock and then might eventually disconnect itself. But I have no idea if this type of fungia does that or not. This article talks about plate corals propagating by extending buds, so I guess that might be what's going on. Or it could just be trying to detach because it's grown big enough to fly away and be free :happydance:

17 hours ago, markalot said:

Very cool, I hope!

Me too :)

On 4/10/2018 at 11:57 PM, Sancho said:

OK i want that thing. 

On 4/11/2018 at 12:45 AM, TitusNuvo20 said:

That plate is crazy. I agree with Sancho. I want one!

Well, eventually it will either frag itself or I'll have to cut it up when it outgrows the spot it's in. :)

18 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Tank is looking wonderful. Give this 5-6 months. I found that once SPS has encrusted enough it will branch extremely quick. Like hold onto your seats quick! 

Thanks, Dave. That definitely seems to be the case with the larger colonies now. I can see the growth taking off, and alk consumption has more than doubled over the last two months.

12 hours ago, dirtrider225 said:

Holy wow. What are the blue zoas with pink centers, and the blue zoas with purple centers off to the right of your clown in this photo? The bottom look like miami vice but i havent seen the ones with purple centers before and they look great!

Thanks! You have a good eye, both of the ones you are asking about are from Aquascapers, during some of the times they were open and selling coral. The names I have are from their web site at the time. The blue with pink centers at the bottom are "Aquafresh" zoas. But they look just like "Miama Vice" zoas. Just to confuse things, though, the blue with purple centers are called Morphologics Vice zoas. I've also got some ultra searchlights on the big zoa rock, but they've been struggling and aren't open in the picture.

Lol that plate! Holy cow! It's cool and creepy at the same time... Makes me think it is growing arms.. Going to grow little fingers at the end and grab you... :scarry:

• Wow 1

Last night I noticed that I accidentally broke off a big chunk of the CR electric myagi tort. Arrgh. Here it is in the frag tank, just before I cut it into two frags.

20180410_205427.jpg

Since I had the glue out, I decided to move the red dragon acro to a lower spot in the tank because it was getting too much light and didn't have the nice deep red it should. So I swapped positions with the Oregon tort which needed more light. Then one thing led to another...I pulled out the blue kenya tree from the back corner, glued in a couple chunks of rubble rock, and boom! Install coral real estate. I was able to glue up all the frags on the frag rack.

20180410-untitled-015-Edit.jpg

Here's the red dragon in the OT's old spot:

Red Dragon Acropora

I also glued the ice fire echinata nearby, also lower in the tank so it doesn't get too much light. It was damaged when I got it, but it's been recovering. Other than the chunk I knocked off of it too :blush:

Ice Fire Echinata

Unfortunately, it didn't get glued on well, and when I checked in the morning, it was gone! I've searched all over the tank and looked in the rocks with a flashlight, but I can't find it anywhere. Oh well, maybe it will turn up some day, or maybe it got eaten by a coral. Or maybe the pistol shrimp stole it to decorate his man cave.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Lol that plate! Holy cow! It's cool and creepy at the same time... Makes me think it is growing arms.. Going to grow little fingers at the end and grab you... :scarry:

I know! Now I'm afraid to put my hand in the tank :lol:

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! You have a good eye, both of the ones you are asking about are from Aquascapers, during some of the times they were open and selling coral. The names I have are from their web site at the time. The blue with pink centers at the bottom are "Aquafresh" zoas. But they look just like "Miama Vice" zoas. Just to confuse things, though, the blue with purple centers are called Morphologics Vice zoas. I've also got some ultra searchlights on the big zoa rock, but they've been struggling and aren't open in the picture.

If you ever decide to frag any of those and sell them, I would be interested :) Awesome looking tank.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, nano20l said:

any updates on the skimmer , im interested in it as i have  nuvo 40 and dont want the tunze or the ghost 

It's working great, I'm very happy with it. The only complaint I have is that the skimmer cup fits very tightly in the neck, but I fixed that by putting a little vaseline on the o-ring.

• Thanks 1

That's a pretty unique fungia. I'm familiar with them encrusted into the mother skeleton but I didn't know there's such thing as a fungia that's encrusted into a rock. How is it doing btw?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Red_Blenny said:

That's a pretty unique fungia. I'm familiar with them encrusted into the mother skeleton but I didn't know there's such thing as a fungia that's encrusted into a rock. How is it doing btw?

It seems to be doing fine! It still eats and puffs up, but the extended piece is still extended and instead of moving with the flow, it has attached to the rock. I'll post an update pic in a few more days just to compare progress.

• Like 3

Things are cooking along in the tank. Corals are growing and the increased light is working well. I've started doing some iodine dip with Lugol's for the big zoa rock - a lot of the zoas have been struggling and peroxide wasn't working well. So far, it seems to be helping. I did one fifteen minute dip, waited two days, then did another one. I'll probably do one more and then see how it goes.

Here's the April FTS and top down shots:

2018-04-17 IM40 FTS:

2018-04-17 IM40 FTS

2018-04-17 Top Down:

2018-04-17 IM40 Top Down

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone!

April has been a busy month but I'm finally back to paying attention to the tanks. The superglue for new acro rocks I set up in the back corner didn't stick well, so the rock has been sitting on the sand bed for a week or so. Last night I drained off about 25 gallons of water to expose the rocks I needed to attach them to, and used some emarco mortar to reattach them. Hopefully this will hold a little better.

Sadly, when I got back from a work trip Friday night, I noticed Sunset, the coral beauty angel, was very swollen and all his scales were protruding, like a freshwater fish with dropsy. I don't know if he had a digestive blockage or what, as there was no sign of any parasites or bacterial infection. He was gone by the morning, though.

I will miss seeing him swim around the tank as he was the star of the show. But it will be interesting to see if the corals develop more PE now. 

• Sad 3