Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

On 11/4/2018 at 7:18 AM, vlangel said:

Thanks teeny.  I am interested because I am thinking about an ATS inside my Aquaclear on the 56g.  I want some nutrient control but it is suppose to be a high nutrient tank so I am still in the thinking stage.

If it works the way people say they do, it should be a great choice. 

I'm not surprised I'm going through this slime stage. I've never ever been able to get macroalgae to grow in this tank, so I figured there would be some period of adjustment.

Here's what it looked like Sunday night, after a week of growth. It is starting to develop chunks of slimy algae that I can pick off with the toothbrush. So things continue to head in the right direction.

One side effect I've noticed, though, is that the peak temperature of the tank is higher when the room gets warm. So the LEDs are definitely heating the water. I'd say about a degree or so.

20181104_194610.jpg

• Like 1

OK, enough with the ugly algae turf scrubber pictures! Time for some pretty corals 🙂

All of the zoas...

20181103-untitled-013.jpg

And all of the monticaps (bonus green star polyps included at no extra charge):

20181103-untitled-014.jpg

Closer view of some of the monticaps. The idaho grape monticap seems to love the type and level of lighting where it is. I've never had one get this purple before.

Monticaps

Joe's Rainbow acro from Joe Knows Reefs. This one is going to be special when it colors up under full lighting.

Joe's Rainbow Acropora

Generic pink acro I got from the frag show a couple years ago. It is getting super pretty as it grows out under bright lighting.

Pink Acro

Reverse Superman monti, with mummy eye chalice above. This is the only chalice I've ever been able to keep long term.

Reverse Superman Montipora

Aqua SD Rainbow Knockout Favia:

ASD Rainbow Knockout Favia

The world's slowest growing green slimer. But that's OK, I'm happy that it hasn't taken over the tank, and the green is just incredible. All the other corals literally get dark when I adjust the exposure to account for how bright the green is.

Green Slimer

Jason Fox Ice Breaker. Another one that should look really cool as it grows out and colors up. I like it already 🙂

Jason Fox Ice Breaker

• Like 12
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

Beautiful teeny, and definitely nicer pics to look at than the slime on the

ATS. 😂. The texture on the montis is really nice too.

Thanks, Dawn! There's a lot of flow in the tank and it makes the monticaps grow slow and very thick. 

3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

As always, amazing stuff man. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave 😀

18 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

youre making me want to add some monti caps to my cube...... it would break my no sps policy but, i think i have to. 

Definitely you should! I got some of teeny's and some of @HarryPotter's awhile ago and they are all doing well. Not as pretty as teeny's (wish my Idaho would get that purple!), but I don't have the lighting that he does. Still. I'm happy with them.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Definitely you should! I got some of teeny's and some of @HarryPotter's awhile ago and they are all doing well. Not as pretty as teeny's (wish my Idaho would get that purple!), but I don't have the lighting that he does. Still. I'm happy with them.

hard to find purple cap around here... the search begins

• Like 2
On 11/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, specore said:

Tank looks great.  Bit surprised their isn't an all out war happening here:

image.png.7bd850ed131d8bd212a1f355b1481233.png

Ha ha, you're right! I moved the acans out of harm's way right after I took this picture. I'm glad I took the picture because I might never have noticed in time otherwise.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, Sharbuckle said:

Let me know - I have a couple fresh frags that I can sell for $10 each, and they tolerate two day shipping very well. I got mine from @gena originally, and she used to ship them via two and even three day all the time. She even experimented with cruel and unusual punishment involving leaving one in a bag for a week and sticking them in the fridge just how much they would tolerate and still survive :lol:

On 11/6/2018 at 2:28 PM, Sharbuckle said:

youre making me want to add some monti caps to my cube...... it would break my no sps policy but, i think i have to. 

On 11/7/2018 at 11:05 AM, JBM said:

I have that same policy. But im thinking i should at least try

Ha ha ha, dooooooo ittttttt!

• Like 1
On 11/7/2018 at 9:03 AM, Pjanssen said:

I'm glad they're doing well! Mine are different colors in my three tanks because of the different levels of lighting. The one in the 40g is the deepest purple.

On 11/7/2018 at 2:08 AM, Zuma said:

Wow, awesome coral collection and great pic's!

Thank you!

On 11/6/2018 at 1:46 PM, Tamberav said:

😍

:flower:

I have a few more pictures 🙂

The ever popular Aquascapers Aquafresh Vice zoas:

Aquascapers Aquafresh Vice Zoas

JF Fox Flame is encrusting like crazy, and you can see hints of the cool yellow highlights it will get eventually.

JF Fox Flame

Group shot: JF Fox Flame, CR Planet Superman, PC Rainbow. All of them need more light to really color up, but I think I'm getting close. I cut the lights way back when I got the new Jason Fox frags, and I've been gradually ramping them back up.

JF Fox Flame, CR Planet Superman, PC Rainbow

More acans, plus a bonus shot of Freckles, the yellow watchman goby.

20181027-untitled-025.jpg

Red Dragon acro. You can see where the tips got burned when I moved it and there was too much light. Sadly, right after taking this picture I broke the whole thing off right at the base. I broke it up into a few frags in the frag tank, and I'm waiting patiently for it to encrust and start growing again.

Red Dragon

The Walt Disney tenuis is growing fast and has great PE. The color has progressed from yellow/green to mostly blue. I expect as it gets bigger and the lights get brighter, I might start to see the cool WD coloration everybody wants when they see this coral.

Walt Disney Tenuis

ARC Fireworks acro. This is one I got in the Jason Fox live sale. Not much color yet but like the WD tenuis, it just needs a chance to start growing and a ton of light and it should be a real centerpiece.

ARC Fireworks Acro

Just to compare, here's a mature and beautifully colored ARC Fireworks. This picture is from Top Shelf Aquatics, a sponsor here on N-R.

ARC-Fireworks-Acro.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

The Oregon tort continues its slow and steady march to becoming a real frag instead of a nub 🙂

Oregon Tort

And the WWC Yellow Tip acro is growing like crazy, has a pretty blue color, and still stubbornly has now yellow tips :rolleyes:

WWC Yellow Tips

• Like 6
  • Wow 3
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:
On 11/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, Sharbuckle said:

Let me know - I have a couple fresh frags that I can sell for $10 each, and they tolerate two day shipping very well. I got mine from @gena originally, and she used to ship them via two and even three day all the time. She even experimented with cruel and unusual punishment involving leaving one in a bag for a week and sticking them in the fridge just how much they would tolerate and still survive :lol:

Can you ship to Canada?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Can you ship to Canada?

I've never tried, but if Usps can take it I'd be willing to try. PM me an address and I'll check the usps site for cost and schedule estimates. 

17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, you're right! I moved the acans out of harm's way right after I took this picture. I'm glad I took the picture because I might never have noticed in time otherwise.

I had a chalice frag come unglued and land next to my trachy.  Sat there a few days without any issue, then on the fifth day the chalice decided it was done being a good neighbor.  

• Sad 1

My Fox Flame gets the green highlights in random areas. Right now it's tips and base, and recently, scattered as well. Pretty sure the green tips are where the growth is happening from my observations. 

Still jealous of your WD colors, mines all green and yellow, with hintsof baby blue in the encrusting areas. I also think with growth I'll be able to pull those colors. 

Everything looks awesome!

• Like 1