Cultivated Reef

60g Clownfish Harem

Renstar

I got out of the hobby a couple of months ago since I had no one to look after my tank while I was away for 2 1/2 weeks getting married and my honeymoon. I didn't think I'd be returning so quickly but I absolutely missed it. My last tank was my first tank and I learned a tremendous amount. I'm going to take what I learned and apply it to this tank.

Build Start Date: 11-6-2016

Potential Goal:

I'm back and forth but chances are I will be doing a clownfish harem with quite a bit of BTA's. With the goal of stocking it with higher end BTA's (Colorado Sunburst, Inferno, Lemon drops, etc.). I'll be using the same concept as Melev's 60G cube tank. I will *not* have as many clowns in my cube as he does as I think that will be way too many. Instead I'm leaning between 7 or 9 clowns (Snowflakes). I'll also have a few less BTA's as well.

Current Equipment:

60G Cube (24x24x24) with custom overflow

Custom Stand 

Custom Sump (Created by 302 Aquatics)

Custom Algae Scrubber (Created by 302 Aquatics)

Titanium Heater (Attached to a controller)

DJ Switches

Reef Octopus 152S

Radion XR15W G4 Pro

Jebao PP4 & PP8

BRS Reactor

Wanted Equipment:

1x Radion XR15W Pro G4

Retired Equipment:

No-Name LED Lightning

Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer 

Some additional equipment I need. A powerhead which I'm not entirely sure what direction I want to go. I might go full Ecotech and get a G4 XR30W Pro along with an MP40. Or I was thinking of going slightly cheap and doing the AI Hydra 26HD with 2 Jebao PP8's. The cost difference is pretty substantial (1150 vs 470). I need to do additional research since it want to make sure the spread will be enough for the nems.

These are some shots after it got dropped off. I'll be doing some elbow grease to clean it up and setting up the scrubber that was never set up.

8921CBCC-DF75-4B0A-A984-F785ED0F6539.jpgC0BB9C09-53DA-4975-83E9-F048E8C596D6.jpg

C5C7098A-3189-4149-970A-E4E85E3F519C.jpg

• Like 4
  • 5 months later...

What updates do you have? It's been 6 months since your intro post.

The date is deceiving. This was my 40g build post that didn't happen since I ended up getting married. I decided to recycle the post instead of creating a new one to avoid cluttering up the forum. So my intro post is technically todays post.

Got it.

I've heard that less than a dozen clowns can lead to aggression. Bulk reef supply has a series on their harem tank.

Thanks Astin! I've watched that series more times than I can say without fully embarrassing myself :D . I've contemplated going up to 12 but I feel that might be a bit much in that size tank. There was a post somewhere that said if you do less than 12 make sure they're in odd numbers.

Luckily there's plenty of time between now and the time I put them in the tank to either continue with 7 or change my mind and just go big like Melev. Chances are I won't be getting her wet until the day after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank has been cleaned and is plumbed back up. I picked up some pukani dry rock so I'll begin my aquascape this weekend. Throwing a picture of my inspiration for the aquascape. Need to clean up the wiring but I'll be doing that right before she gets wet.

E6509F08-6949-4027-A4FF-465B19F2FD16.jpg93A54E66-D94C-4F8E-ABF5-BC700FAD98C5.jpe

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Tank has been cleaned and is plumbed back up. I picked up some pukani dry rock so I'll begin my aquascape this weekend. Throwing a picture of my inspiration for the aquascape. Need to clean up the wiring but I'll be doing that right before she gets wet.

E6509F08-6949-4027-A4FF-465B19F2FD16.jpg93A54E66-D94C-4F8E-ABF5-BC700FAD98C5.jpe

Always wanted to do one of these. When I'm out of school, I suppose.

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow! Hopefully it all comes out great. This is my current thoughts on aquascape. I want it to be open and airy but with enough space for the nems. What I *dont* want is for the tank to look like 1 giant blob of anemones. These are the 3 viewing angles of the current scape.

I don't have the islands that will be in front of this built just yet.

1st - Front View.

2nd - View from Left side of Glass

1AD3458F-0FE3-43AC-8A82-D33A1D7C70B6.jpg

1E12500C-0000-4E91-98E3-5D6B74FDE9B1.jpg

• Like 3

That is an attractive rockwork that you have put together and I think it will serve your purpose. Maybe this isn't part of your original vision but I wonder if some pretty colored RFAs cuddled up along the base would be nice?

• Like 1

That is an attractive rockwork that you have put together and I think it will serve your purpose. Maybe this isn't part of your original vision but I wonder if some pretty colored RFAs cuddled up along the base would be nice?

It wasn't apart of my original vision but I can completely see how adding RFA's around the base would work well. You've literally just blew my mind on the additional possibilities. Thank you!!

I did get some feedback saying there isn't enough "crevices" although I don't understand how that's the case. Besides changing the type of rock or making it one lumpy piece I just don't see how else to change it up.

• Like 2

I'll be following along. I've always liked the idea of a nem/ clown only tank

You're scape looks great! I don't see any issue with it in terms of crevices. After all, the anemones will go attach wherever they see fit. They might all decide they prefer the back wall and not even attach to the rock!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I've altered what I ended up wanting to do with the tank. I saw a full clownfish tank and I didn't really like the variety of fish in there. Sort of felt like I would have been stuck. Instead I decided to go mixed with a lot of anemones and a couple zoa gardens. This gives me the best of both worlds of what I want.

I've filled the tank, cycled and stocked it. Before the tang police comes and attacks me.. The hippo that's in there Im holding for a buddy of mine until he gets his new tank cycled which will be in a couple weeks hopefully.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd513/Drinknation/60g%20Cube/BDD24F2B-2A62-453D-A326-09455973634C.jpgBDD24F2B-2A62-453D-A326-09455973634C.jpg873FFAEC-E9A4-4131-A626-669E6416F116.jpg60E80BD4-ACDD-4B3D-BF69-CD9CF67D1079.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Almost a month since my last update figured I'd throw some pictures up and give an update.  I've gone through some ups and downs of course but generally not too bad.  I've picked up a 3rd anemone over the weekend.  So now I'm up to 3 (Rainbow, Red, and Black widow).  I'll be hopefully picking up a CC Inferno and quite possibly a CC Flametip.  The red BTA ended up moving since I had to get the hippo out of my tank.  I'll never watch a fish for someone again... Literally the worst fish to catch.  The rainbow I noticed moved slightly to the right this morning.

Fish List:

2 Platinum Clownfish

Flame Angelfish

Blue spotted Puffer

Starry Blenny

Mystery wrasse

Blue Mandarin (Tank bred/raised eats frozen and flakes)

A few things I've got up and running in the tank.  Finally set up my algae scrubber so it is fully operational.  I didn't think I'd start to see any algae forming on the screen but there has been some.  Added a refugium section to my sump.  I know that it might be an overkill and my chaeto might not grow as great because of the scrubber but I'm hoping it doesn't die off on me since I'm using that more for a pods safe haven than anything. 

I swapped out the light.  I went with an XR15W G4 Pro.  Spoke to ecotech and they told me it should be more than sufficient lighting since I'll only be keeping BTA's and zoas in it.  I am considering getting a 2nd one in case I need stronger light for the higher end BTA's.  Although, the way my aquascape is setup I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with just 1. 

And of course now time for some pictures.  Please excuse the wiring in the sump.  I tried to clean it up but there's so much stuff in such a small space I'm having a hard time being constructive on hiding them.

1D6C7CB8-8C2B-47F7-BBA0-5B7E05B091E0.jpg506D1022-5B32-424A-944A-62EC2D9EE92D.jpgA2D1B563-F703-424E-BCA9-1FD488633A6B.jpgAB044396-1EFA-4255-8559-AFCC83A8520C.jpg

• Like 1

I decided to take the plunge and buy a blotched anthias.  He's been at the LFS for about 4-6 months now.  Fully acclimated to light, temperature and pretty darn healthy.

AA80B7EC-52A5-4791-89C4-21A8F2E0B180.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive had a few mishaps and issues along the way.  My blotched anthias died.  It got stung pretty bad by my anemones.  Got a bit overwhelmed by the thing.  I had originally planned the tank to be a clownfish harem with lots of nems.  I've decided to go back to that idea.  I sold and gave away all of my fish including my 2 clowns.  I got ahold of a clownfish breeder and picked up a bunch of clowns from the same batch.  I had 4 BTA's in my tank and 1 of them ended up splitting after putting in my clowns.  

I've also upgraded my skimmer to a Reef Octopus 152S.  Ive had it for less than a week and it's already skimming like a beast.  I've added a small reactor for carbon just to cut down on toxins over the BTA's splitting.  Also to clear up the water.  It's definitely crystal clear now.  I have a large shipment of 7 incredible BTA's arriving tomorrow.  A couple high end ones which I'm looking forward to seeing them progress in my tank.  

Right after acclimating the clowns and dropping them in the tank they IMMEDIATELY went into the anemone.  It was pretty incredible especially since I didn't expect it since they've never seen an anemone.  I've began phase 1 of my 2 phase series of opening my cabinet, significantly clean up the wiring and remove the fuge.  A buddy of mine has pretty much done it all for me.  Here are some pics.  Fair warning.. The clowns are absolutely AMAZING.  I do have some videos up on my instagram of the clowns inside the nem @artofreef.

06D7EA46-7FE5-4590-8BBD-1E41F9690FC2.jpgC5FC76F0-F2EE-4755-8238-08ACABCBAEBC.jpg

Before:

1DEE87DA-7A59-4DD2-AF18-8E9AE172A6C7.jpg

After Phase 1:

F7F86379-A30B-40EE-A02D-BE44C3F6F622.jpg

• Like 4

Love the markings.  How much did you pay for all of them?  If you don't mind sharing that is. I'm just curious.  Did you get a "bulk" discount?

Very cool!  How many clowns in total?  If I followed correctly, you have 12 BTA's counting the one that split?  I ask since I am in the early stages of putting together a 45 gallon clown-BTA tank.

11 hours ago, jesseatam said:

What kind of clowns do you have in there?

They are "Picasso" but as you can tell from the markings some are pretty extreme.  There's a few that would probably sell for quite a bit retail including my favorite guy.  I have a couple with full helmets and a spot on their face.  This is the best picture I can get from him as he's fast.  I'll throw a few more pictures in the next post.

10 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Love the markings.  How much did you pay for all of them?  If you don't mind sharing that is. I'm just curious.  Did you get a "bulk" discount?

Thanks! I'd rather not say since I got an incredible deal.  I did get the "bulk" discount and a better selection of markings.  The breeder I got them from does ship and I don't want to undercut him by people saying to him "Well so and so got them for x amount".  I'm working with him to website up so people can purchase clowns from him.  When I went to pick them up his systems were 100% pest few.  He goes to great lengths to have separate systems.  I took some pictures of his setup.  Once I get some permission I'll throw some posts here. 

7 hours ago, OldManSea said:

Very cool!  How many clowns in total?  If I followed correctly, you have 12 BTA's counting the one that split?  I ask since I am in the early stages of putting together a 45 gallon clown-BTA tank.

I have 17 clowns total.  They're about 3/4 of an inch big each with some being slightly larger or smaller.  In my tank now I have 5 BTA's including the one that split.  I'm receiving a shipment this morning of another 7 BTA's mostly higher end ones.   So technically yes 12 BTA's but 5 in the tank now with 7 being introduced later today.

Here are some additional pictures of the clowns.

My favorite clown so far from the bunch with the spot on his face:

34271264-9A28-46F5-9A4E-9044E2A3797D.jpg

Lights out so my big BTA was closing up.. Clowns were persistent.  I did notice they all currently stay in the say anemone even though I have a few more throughout the tank.  They tend to stick together.

54550379-2A67-412E-BC23-5D38AB4C6822.jpg

One more random picture.  Excuse the mess in the background.  My office is currently being cleaned up and reorganized.

7124971F-E074-4AAE-A8F6-1CEB3B59E6F2.jpg

Pictures of the new BTA's after they get acclimated etc.

• Like 3