Innovative Marine Aquariums

How long before new coral polyps open?

Tanked

I just added some velvet rock to my tank. They look similar to green star polyps and according to the sales guy at the lfs, require about the same level of care. About half the polyps were open the first day I added them to the tank, but today is their second day in their new home and so far no signs of life. I've read that for some species of coral it may take a while before they start acting normally. Just wondering if any other velvet people have experienced this.

Originally posted by Tanked

I just added some velvet rock to my tank. They look similar to green star polyps and according to the sales guy at the lfs, require about the same level of care. About half the polyps were open the first day I added them to the tank, but today is their second day in their new home and so far no signs of life. I've read that for some species of coral it may take a while before they start acting normally. Just wondering if any other velvet people have experienced this.

Btw ,how did you acclimate them?

yeah, depending on how well they were acclimated/how much stress they wen't through. Sometimes they can take up to a week or two to fully open up.

Yeah Yeah B) , let the records show that it took 4 days for the polyps to open. I feel like a proud new papa! Oh, just fyi, I floated the specimen bag when I first brought the coral home to equalize the temperature and then I drip acclimated them.

Archived