Innovative Marine Aquariums

Official ALA Product Launch, Coming Soon!

Aqua Lab Aquaria

smeagol108

Peninsula has always been may favorite. Really like the look and design of the overflow and can't wait to see my images of it and it in action. Very innovative and clean. Might even convince me to upgrade and finally use a sump.

Aqua Lab Aquaria

I must be careful about revealing too much about the overflow at this time. We are obtaining a patent pending status and then we can release more.

Fundamentally, the overflow operates as a traditional herbie overflow.

Here is a video shot a few months back. The overflow and Reefcosm prototype has been running for 1 year this month!

I have an ADA 60F and made my own overflow. It's... Too big and too small at the same time. It's too big, as it takes up too much real estate in such a small tank, but it's too little when, due to my design mistakes a fish ends up in there and I have to remove it with a net and get around my plumbing somehow. These overflows look perfect!

Here's my question, can you make those in custom sizes, buy them separate from a tank and will there be different colors? I personally don't like black...

I really like the idea of the peninsula. I like being able to look through a tank. It would be a mixed reef, probably not too many SPS though.

I'm actually hoping to upgrade at the end of the year, at the very least this is helping me get some ideas! Love the innovation!

Aqua Lab Aquaria

I love the look of the peninsula! Have you measured flow rates with this design?

Thanks! We did calculations and the cross-sectional area of our "plumbing" is equivalent to a 1.5" PVC pipe, so plenty of flow for a tank up to 100gal and maybe even more. I forget the exact number but it was more than 1000gal/hr. However, in this current model we are using 1" plumbing after the bulkhead so that will technically dictate the overall flow rate. And it operates under full-siphon so it flows!

Definitely going with the peninsula, that thing looks great. Are there any details on the overflow just curious how it works.

It is essentially a herbie.

Peninsula has always been may favorite. Really like the look and design of the overflow and can't wait to see my images of it and it in action. Very innovative and clean. Might even convince me to upgrade and finally use a sump.

Glad to help give you the motivation to go with a full-format reef system! Sump tanks are great, and with a good overflow it is the preferred configuration for advanced reefers.

The peninsula would make an awesome drop off tank. I think I need this in my life.

Happy to discuss custom projects, just send us a PM! :)

So much yes to that Kessil mount.

Thanks! We built the arm in-house and used a LeRusso bracket to attach the Kessil. Great, sleek set-up that, in my humble opinion, looks better than the Kessil tubular mounts.

So ready to upgrade from my bc29. Love the look of the peninsula.

We don't speak those words here at the shop! :) Let us know when you're ready to take your aquarium hobby to the next level!

I have an ADA 60F and made my own overflow. It's... Too big and too small at the same time. It's too big, as it takes up too much real estate in such a small tank, but it's too little when, due to my design mistakes a fish ends up in there and I have to remove it with a net and get around my plumbing somehow. These overflows look perfect!

Here's my question, can you make those in custom sizes, buy them separate from a tank and will there be different colors? I personally don't like black...

I really like the idea of the peninsula. I like being able to look through a tank. It would be a mixed reef, probably not too many SPS though.

I'm actually hoping to upgrade at the end of the year, at the very least this is helping me get some ideas! Love the innovation!

Yes, we are willing to do custom work, just PM us and we can start to talk about prices and design.

We agree, the aesthetic imparted by the ability to look through the tank is highly desirable and we prefer it when possible.

We don't speak those words here at the shop! :) Let us know when you're ready to take your aquarium hobby to the next level!

It's been a great first tank. I've learned a lot- still learning. I'm ready, just not so sure about the bank account!

Aqua Lab Aquaria

BioCubes are the gateway system for most hobbyists, so I guess I can't be upset about that.

But I can't wait until we release our AIO design to the public and hopefully those words will be a thing of the past! :D

wow.such.chris

Digging the overflow design, I think this one-ups the "ghost" style overflows. I don't see how an overflow could be better designed. What sizes are you making? Super interested in the peninsula layout myself.

Aqua Lab Aquaria

Some very kind comments! Thanks for the feedback! Sooch, let me know if you'd like to place a down payment and I can get your new peninsula started. :)

We agree, we think it's better than the ghost or synergy. Just about as slim with NO EXTERNAL BOX OR PLUMBING. How about that?

Everyone, I havn't forgotton about my promise to give away a freebie! We've just been super busy with our product launch. Check it out, the ALA Aquacosm is now available!

www.aqualabaquaria.com/collections/aqua-lab-aquaria

Thanks again!

Kent

• 1 month later...

So this means that all of your overflows will have to made custom as the height of the tank matters? So this won't be marketed as a plug and play item like the ghost overflow.

• 1 month later...
Aqua Lab Aquaria

Agreed it'd make a sweet drop tank. You guys are in the Bay Area IIRC?

Yessir!

1060 Willow St.

Unit 6

San Jose, CA 95125

https://www.yelp.com/biz/aqua-lab-aquaria-san-jose

So this means that all of your overflows will have to made custom as the height of the tank matters? So this won't be marketed as a plug and play item like the ghost overflow.

Yes, as of right now the height is fixed. We plan to release the overflow with our line of rimless aquariums and the series will be dubbed the Reefcosm. It is possible that several popular heights could be accommodated, and we can build them at custom heights, but at this time they are intended to be used with our rimless aquariums.

Some very kind comments! Thanks for the feedback! Sooch, let me know if you'd like to place a down payment and I can get your new peninsula started. :)

We agree, we think it's better than the ghost or synergy. Just about as slim with NO EXTERNAL BOX OR PLUMBING. How about that?

Everyone, I havn't forgotton about my promise to give away a freebie! We've just been super busy with our product launch. Check it out, the ALA Aquacosm is now available!

www.aqualabaquaria.com/collections/aqua-lab-aquaria

Thanks again!

Kent

Just give it to me and I'll document the build from start to finish and maintain a log on it for atleast a year with at a minimum weekly pictures. :)

• 3 months later...
Aqua Lab Aquaria

Hey guys,

We're getting closer to getting this overflow market ready. Until our official debut, I wanted to release a few sneak peeks here exclusively for nano-reef.com members!

We plan to release a comprehensive introduction soon, but this should give you a good idea of where modern reef aquariums are headed :)

The Aqua Lab SlimFlow ®, patent pending...

Built in features include:

Dual drain for safety and silence. Full siphon drain operation. Up to 1000GPH.

Dual return nozzles for flexibility. Integrated siphon break to prevent back-siphoning.

Absolutely silent and bubble free. No whitewater in the sump = no salt spray and salt creep

Incredibly thin with no external components or plumbing.

post-90308-0-18027000-1484338198_thumb.jpg

post-90308-0-05209500-1484338380_thumb.jpg

post-90308-0-11117400-1484338483_thumb.jpg

RIP Sebastian

Neato! I'd do a corner overflow one. I'd either make it a Florida biotope with RFAs and jawfish, a mandarin/pipefish tank, Or a Seahorse tank! How will you know who joined the mailing list?

Nick

Aqua Lab Aquaria

Thanks guys! Yes, corner placement will be one option we plan to offer! In that situation, we may opt for a single return nozzle.

As of right now we are planning to offer these installed on our tanks, or they will work with any 18" (45cm) metric tank that someone else may have already. We have a lot more stuff coming in the R&D pipeline and hope to release an al a carte version as well.

Archived