Coral Vue Hydros

Official ALA Product Launch, Coming Soon!

Aqua Lab Aquaria

Aqua Lab Aquaria
Our professional photographs are starting to trickle in and we are about to launch our official product debut! Please join the mailing list and 'Like' our Facebook page to be the first to know about the impending launch. Trust us, it will be worth it for planted and reef enthusiasts alike!

www.aqualabaquaria.com
www.facebook.com/aqualabaquaria
YsaJkxe.jpg
1eqjUZW.jpg

Aqua Lab Aquaria

OK, I can't hold back anymore. Here are more leaks of our upcoming reef-ready tank, the ALA Reefcosm featuring our patent pending SlimFlow!

Nano-Reef is going to love the Reefcosm! Will be available in three configurations: peninsula, standard, or corner overflow placements!

Which configuration would you want? Post your ideas below! We plan to send a freebie to one randomly selected person who responds in this thread, joins the mailing list, and likes us on Facebook! To qualify, get your message in before the end of May and join us!

yGCjojs.jpg

SEvGB7q.jpg

rxdpqMf.jpg

HarryPotter

Peninsula! I would definitely choose peninsula. Make it a pure low nutrient Acropora species tank or perhaps an anemone tank... But I definitely would do something neat :)

That is probably the most cool and unique overflow I've seen in a while. Having a big overflow is a huge problem for nano-reefers. They just don't fare well in smaller tanks! I made an "out the back" which is nice and small, but it still sticks out like 4" and creates a distracting shadow underneath.

Anyways I LOVE the 3rd picture in post #2 - some seriously awesome looking tanks! I can't tell which I like better - the FW or the reef... What's the second pic in post #1 of? Looks interesting.

My favorite overflow location is probably "standard" but I've lately been interested in a peninsula style tank, so that sounds cool as well, and would likely be even more inconspicuous. All that glass too... Sexy sexy!

I assume the overflow is glued in? Do you then also have to glue in the bulkheads?

Also, looks like you could only hold the news back for an hour! LOL

Christopher Marks

These look incredible! That overflow design is very innovative, can't wait to see more! Do you have any smaller sized examples of the Reefcosm you can share?

Cencalfishguy56

Peninsula all day!! I would make it a BTA species only tank with a designer pair and various BTA color variants!!

Wow, really like the peninsula! Can't wait to see more about that overflow it is such a small foot print which is excellent for a peninsula!

That is sweet! I would personally want to do an anemone dominant tank*, but with corals mixed in, and a big harem of anthias depending on dimensions of the tank.. In the standard configuration if that would be center of back wall.

*I think, subject to change.

Love the Peninsula style. How do you have it all plumbed to the sump? Can you show more angles of the overflow? :)

Aqua Lab Aquaria

That is probably the most cool and unique overflow I've seen in a while. Having a big overflow is a huge problem for nano-reefers. They just don't fare well in smaller tanks! I made an "out the back" which is nice and small, but it still sticks out like 4" and creates a distracting shadow underneath.

Anyways I LOVE the 3rd picture in post #2 - some seriously awesome looking tanks! I can't tell which I like better - the FW or the reef... What's the second pic in post #1 of? Looks interesting.

My favorite overflow location is probably "standard" but I've lately been interested in a peninsula style tank, so that sounds cool as well, and would likely be even more inconspicuous. All that glass too... Sexy sexy!

I assume the overflow is glued in? Do you then also have to glue in the bulkheads?

Also, looks like you could only hold the news back for an hour! LOL

Thanks! We agree, it's important to make the man-made elements disappear as much as possible. Our overflow was born from this ethos. Even better, there is no external plumbing!

Thanks, those pictures are from our retail store in Northern California! That other item you asked about is a CO2 diffuser commonly used in planted freshwater aquaria.

The overflow is not glued, it is removable if the need arises. Gaskets are uses to seal junction between tank and overflow.

These look incredible! That overflow design is very innovative, can't wait to see more! Do you have any smaller sized examples of the Reefcosm you can share?

Thanks Chris! Would love to get one in your hands as a thank you for all the work you do here at Nano-Reef.!

Currently, the smallest tank we will offer with the SlimFlow is our 25gal cube tank. Unfortunately no pictures yet, but that will change soon! We plan to offer a 25gal, 40gal, 50gal, and 65gal for our new Reefcosm line.

corner overflow but instead of the standard box, make it a single wall against the corner. is it possible to use oval piping for the return to minimise the breakup of the rimless look while maintaining adequate flow?

Thanks! We agree, it's important to make the man-made elements disappear as much as possible. Our overflow was born from this ethos. Even better, there is no external plumbing!

Thanks, those pictures are from our retail store in Northern California! That other item you asked about is a CO2 diffuser commonly used in planted freshwater aquaria.

Well - there's the return "plumbing" that still needs to be external to some degree it seems. Though that's often the case and not really an issue IMO.

I should have recognized the diffuser - I've actually never used one but I've seen glass versions more commonly. The stainless is nice though.

The overflow is not glued, it is removable if the need arises. Gaskets are uses to seal junction between tank and overflow.

Interesting - So the bulkheads must act as the hold down for the overflow then?

How tall is the lower piece (in other words how deep must the sand-bed be to completely cover it)? Also have you tested flow rates through this design?

nismo_sky32

Peninsula for sure. I love being able to view a tank from 3 sides and the options of placement within a room. You can put it in the corner, against the wall or use it as a small room divider and get the real peninsula effect. Excited for you to get this awesome overflow out to the hobby

Another vote for penniesla. That tank seems perfect for it! Have you thought about drilling a hole for the return? Then run the piping behind the box still to hide it.

Another vote for penniesla. That tank seems perfect for it! Have you thought about drilling a hole for the return? Then run the piping behind the box still to hide it.

I'm thinking it could get even more clever than that! This is probably not possible for current production but what if they widened the overflow slightly (not the depth or height) and created a sealed and separated "return channel" built into the overflow. It would have the same setup on the bottom as the drains but with a hose barb attached under the tank. And then at the top it could have a loc-line fitting coming out of the side or front of the overflow box. Obviously it would be capped at the top since the chamber inside the overflow box would be pressurized by the return pump. Though there could be a small hole in it right at the top that would direct a small amount of water back into the overflow that would act as a siphon break in the event of a power outage.

Alternatively instead of using loc-line there could be slots strategically machined into the side of the return chamber which would naturally create a nice laminar flow in the tank (probably more effective in the peninsula tank). The only issue is that this alternate method would require the use of a check valve below the tank.

Okay I got distracted... What I really wanted to say is that I really like the style of art you guys use. Does the company/the person who makes them have a distribution like an Etsy page or something?

JavaJacketOC

Nice looking tank, could definitely do something fun with this. Stand is a little different as well, kinda like that, would go with my Walnut living room furniture!

Aqua Lab Aquaria

I'm thinking it could get even more clever than that! This is probably not possible for current production but what if they widened the overflow slightly (not the depth or height) and created a sealed and separated "return channel" built into the overflow. It would have the same setup on the bottom as the drains but with a hose barb attached under the tank. And then at the top it could have a loc-line fitting coming out of the side or front of the overflow box. Obviously it would be capped at the top since the chamber inside the overflow box would be pressurized by the return pump. Though there could be a small hole in it right at the top that would direct a small amount of water back into the overflow that would act as a siphon break in the event of a power outage.

Alternatively instead of using loc-line there could be slots strategically machined into the side of the return chamber which would naturally create a nice laminar flow in the tank (probably more effective in the peninsula tank). The only issue is that this alternate method would require the use of a check valve below the tank.

Okay I got distracted... What I really wanted to say is that I really like the style of art you guys use. Does the company/the person who makes them have a distribution like an Etsy page or something?

Your head is in the right place, ajmckay!

Yes, our current design requires an additional return line to be determined by the owner. We wanted to recreate that freshwater-canister-filter-glass-pipe-vibe by having clear PVC over the edges of the tank, but you could also drill it or you could even soft plumb the return with a glass lily pipe (hint hint, freshwater folks).

But as ajmckay has insinuated, we have a more elegant solution planned. We will be releasing our second generation overflow in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the comments on the art! We love it too! We plan to continue working with the illustrator and we're considering making his illustrations part of our brand's look. Look out for more in the future! We plan to offer soft goods and some cool hardgoods: playing cards, pint glasses, etc.

Keep the comments coming!

Definitely going with the peninsula, that thing looks great. Are there any details on the overflow just curious how it works.

Archived