Cultivated Reef

[Fluconazole Vs Bryopsis] "We're getting out" FAIL- IM 25 Lagoon

lkoechle

Woo hoo! Maybe this week is starting to turn around.  I gave up on Sicce and contacted Marine Depot.  MD has a new pump on its way to me.  So hooray for that! It was nice and easy. Literally a 2 minutes conversation.  It would've been longer, but I had already contacted Jeff (the MD rep here on the site) so he had gave them the issue information already for me. So it was all smooth sailing.

We had a fence install today that, with how our week's been, we've been worried about something getting goofed up since when it rains it pours. BUT the fence install went perfectly, all of our irrigation lines are in tact (some were nervously close to the property/fence line).  I have an enclosed back yard so my dogs are finally free for the first time in 6 months to roam around a yard.  My 1 year old galgo mix is super tired and my elder lady greyhound loved being able to stretch her legs.  Although she's probably only hitting 30 mph now instead of that former 45 mph.  Slow puppy. j/k :P  She can still out pace the 1 year old by a lot. lol  And the puppy can outrun a rabbit. She's caught quite a few.

I know, you don't care about my new fence.  But this week has sucked and the fence had major potential to go wrong, so I'm tallying up how the week is starting to go right. lol

So that should be the end of updates until the new pump comes or the Apex gets mounted (which ever happens first) and hopefully we can get this tank on its way to calmer seas... (or choppier since I'm planning on ordering an mp10 in the next couple weeks)

1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

I'm so excited for you! I just got my auto dose from MD. Wish I had more than a little bit of a clue as to how to set it up.

Your kids are adorable.

Thanks, my husband and I did a good job. lol

Luckily forums are full of help when it comes to setting things up.  I hated setting the Apex up the first time but luckily I saved all my coding and settings from the 85 so I plan on copy and pasting a lot in.  I wish more of this hobby was more "user friendly". lol  

• Like 5

So, I started my cycle yesterday with 20 lbs rinsed CaribaSea special grade reef sand "live" and Reef-Cleaner's rock.

I dosed 2mL of 10% ammonia (drove 40 minutes to the closest ace. ugh) to a 25 gallon tank (assuming it lost around 5 gallons to displacement).  Ammonia was approx 3ppm.

I usually use Microbacter7, but I am using Fritz RPM salt and figured why not try their bacteria as well?

So, I used Fritz Zyme 9 (http://www.fritzzyme.com/index.php?p=fritzzyme-nitrifying-bacteria) and added the 1/2 cup per 5 gallons for 25 gallons at approximately 8:30 pm.  

I tested this morning at 10 am (so 14ish hours later) and these are the results:

Ammonia .05 ppm

Nitrites .5 ppm

Nitrates 2 ppm

Considering it usually takes 3 to 5 days for me to even start to see a reduction in ammonia and another 3 days on top of the that to see nitrite with Microbacter7 (using the same method, I never start live), I am hella impressed with Fritz Zyme 9 and I expect to get a 0 ammonia reading tomorrow or later this evening based on these rates.  

Of course, I won't consider it cycled for a couple more weeks and will add more ammonia to ensure it is being processed and this is not a fluke, but so far I am super impressed with this product. I think Microbacter7 is going to be in search of a new job.

Has anyone else used this?

• Like 1

I am not a fan of MB7 anymore.  I still have a huge bottle of it but it hasn't done much for me.  I had better results with Dr. Tim's.  I may have to try Fritz Zyme 9 too.  My tank is over a years old but I still need to add bacteria once a month.

• Like 1

I used fritz when I recycled some rocks that I was sick of having issues with. The process went well. It was my first time ever doing that, bt I think the fritz did what it was suppose to and cycled my rocks in a timely fashion.I'm not that experienced with Macrobacter so I can't compare. I keep a bucket of rocks in water and add fritz about once a month. Just this week I added one of the rocks to my tank. So far so good.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

sorry, i didn't mean to say "NEED" to.  I just do cuz I bought a huge bottle of MB7 a long time ago. 

I usually throw bacteria in there for the hell of it after its established. not using for anything else anyways! lol

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I'm still not convinced of any kind of long term benefits of adding bottled bacteria. Their major benefits are using them during an ammonia spike because they do not colonize on the rocks and instead take up directly while in the water column, so that is why adding it during cycling with ammonia dosing leads to such rapid decreases. The real test is adding ammonia and then NOT adding bacteria and seeing how quickly it is processed :)

• Like 1

I've seen definite effects from heavy daily dosing when a tank is dirty and needs some help to get things going. But that's pretty much the same thing you're doing when starting a cycle with it.

Today I purchased:

The NanoBox Duo Plus M from Nanobox

The MP10 QD from marine depot

and I'm trying to purchase 

media baskets

media

lid kit and clips

neo-therm heater

IM ghost skimmer

from inTank but the shopping cart is being glitchy with me on my free stuff (you know, for giving them all my money) so I'm waiting to hear back from them.  But after that, I will have bought all of the equipment for this tank.  Woo!

Now we wait...

EDIT:  EVERYTHING IS ORDERED! w00t!

• Like 5
charlesncharge
On Saturday, February 25, 2017 at 4:14 PM, lkoechle said:

Today I purchased:

The NanoBox Duo Plus M from Nanobox

The MP10 QD from marine depot

and I'm trying to purchase

media baskets

media

lid kit and clips

neo-therm heater

IM ghost skimmer

from inTank but the shopping cart is being glitchy with me on my free stuff (you know, for giving them all my money) so I'm waiting to hear back from them.  But after that, I will have bought all of the equipment for this tank.  Woo!

Now we wait...

EDIT:  EVERYTHING IS ORDERED! w00t!

how long did they say the nanobox would take to ship?

5 hours ago, charlesncharge said:

how long did they say the nanobox would take to ship?

We haven't had any notification yet.  I asked Dave awhile ago about turn around times and he didn't give a concise answer.  It sounds like if he has the materials on hand it takes less time, if its something he doesn't have (ie a custom lid or something) then it takes longer.

• Like 1
charlesncharge
16 hours ago, lkoechle said:

We haven't had any notification yet.  I asked Dave awhile ago about turn around times and he didn't give a concise answer.  It sounds like if he has the materials on hand it takes less time, if its something he doesn't have (ie a custom lid or something) then it takes longer.

Nice!! Is he customizing one for you? I cant wait to see it on the tank! I have a kessil 160we on mine I just got! Not a fan of the color though! :( Back to the drawing board!! I think I have narrowed it down to hydra26 or the nanobox duo!? Just haven't seen any nanobox's on tanks in person!

15 minutes ago, charlesncharge said:

Nice!! Is he customizing one for you? I cant wait to see it on the tank! I have a kessil 160we on mine I just got! Not a fan of the color though! :( Back to the drawing board!! I think I have narrowed it down to hydra26 or the nanobox duo!? Just haven't seen any nanobox's on tanks in person!

No.  I want it ASAP so I just did black on black  lol  KISS and get it here fast! lol  My LFS in Denver had the concept tanks from IM and NanoBox lights from a convention (I think the Denver MACNA).  The nanobox lights are super sexy on person.  especially the wood lids.  I am thinking about ordering a dark wood lid later.

• Like 1

StevieT's order arrived today.  My husband is very sad that it contained neither hookers nor blow.  @inTank he says to get your act together.  This isn't how you treat customers. But we appreciate the free, albeit empty, frag rack. :P

Of course, I dove in like Christmas morning:

32848414190_7a82fdfb22_c.jpg

I have:

skimer

heater

2 media baskets

frag rack

fluff

chemipure

So, good day.  Only issue is now I'm trying to figure out the "equipment dance" in my tank.  The joys of the AIO!  My issue is where the Neptune probe rack and the heater are going.  They can't occupy the same chamber.  So... gotta figure that one.

My ATO is also on the fritz.  It's only 3 years old... We're trying to figure out if its operator error or its not going to work for the tank or its broken.

My replacement sicce is still loud.  I contacted @Marine Depot and they are working with me on it.  They've been great so no matter how this works out, I'm still their girl.  Until I need my slim dosing containers, then I'm BulkReefSupply's girl. Until I need my CUC, then I'm reef-cleaner's girl...  Lets just this out of the way, I'm starting to feel as loose as my husband's ex-girlfriend.

AND my light from @DaveFason gets here tomorrow. w00t w00t!  After that, all of my equipment will be here for the tank.  Also tomorrow we are installing the Apex.  We have come up with our plans and it shall be GLORIOUS! So, look for photos tomorrow!

Electronic installs are exciting!

7c83864a153add881dffece91fb76197.gif

• Like 6
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

@inTank he says to get your act together.  This isn't how you treat customers. But we appreciate the free, albeit empty, frag rack. :P

I am very very sorry for the lack of Hookers and or Blow.

New federally government mandated regulations prevent the transport of said Hookers and or Blow over state lines.  This is a gigantic government overreach and it is of great concern that we are fighting it with lobbying efforts through the NFIB and Hookers are People Too Just with Snow Covered Noses [HAPTWSCN] 501(c)(3).  We at  inTank are hopeful that legsliation will once again allow the free flow of H&B across state lines.

Of course you could fly to Wisconsin aboard your private jet for a weekend of unadulterated and unrestricted access to the finest, natural cheese fed, ultra high grade, organic and virus free H&B that inTank can offer. 

At inTank we value your concern and know that we are fighting every waking moment not passed out in a StevieTub full of wacked out blondes for this important and constitutionally protected right.

May your water be ever wet.

-StevieT

Founder

inH&B, LLC a global division of inTank, LLC

blowlivesmatter@mediabaskets.com

Clown%20Cheesehead.jpg

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, StevieT said:

I am very very sorry for the lack of Hookers and or Blow.

New federal government mandated regulations prevent the transport of said Hookers and or Blow over state lines.  This is a gigantic government overreach and it is of great concern that we are fighting it with lobbying efforts through the NFIB and Hookers are People Too Just with Snow Covered Noses [HAPTWSCN] 501(c)(3) We at  inTank are hopeful that legsliation will once again allow the free flow of H&B across state lines.

Of course you could fly to Wisconsin aboard your private jet for a weekend of unadulterated and unrestricted access to the finest, naturalcheese fed, ultra high grade, organic and virus free H&B that inTank can offer. 

At inTank we value your concern and know that we are fighting every waking moment not passed out in a StevieTub full of wacked out blondes for this important and constitutionally protected right.

May your water be ever wet.

-StevieT

inH&B, LLC

blowlivesmatter@mediabaskets.com

Well hopefully with Trump's pro-business and anti-regulation policies we can soon make this a reality. 

In the meantime,  our private Airbus is down for maitanence and repair parts are held up in customs.  

As soon as its been repaired, I look forward to being smothered with copious amounts of blow and organic-cheese fed and disease free hookers.

• Like 3

@skoechle We can not wait.  inH&B wishes you well that your parts pass government anti-trade customs soon enough so that you can partake. 

We are working directly with pro-business President inTrump so we can all again inBlow onHook.

• Like 3

Ugh, well my laptop gave me the blue screen of death so I lost my original update post.  Which was really great and highly informative comparing and contrasting and reviewing the Apex 2016 to the Apex Classic Gold package. Or at least I thought it was really great.

If you are interested in that, let me know and I'll re-do it.  

We got the Apex installed and the reef lights up.  We bought and cut melamine boards and affixed them with velcro to avoid any drilling into the MDF stand.

Photos:

32443361514_00ced1920f_c.jpg

@skoechle marking the boards for cutting

32443368784_c6440d3429_c.jpg

My kids because they're awesome and we had to do a Costco run in the middle of installing.  You can't do tank stuff while they're awake, so we ran errands to fill the time until nap #2.

32443375734_dd8dd3b856_c.jpg

Laying stuff out

33245297896_8c2c4e297b_c.jpg

Wire jungle but everything is up and running.  Cable management is on the to-do list.

Now you may be wondering, how do you work in there?  It's so cramped.

Well, that is one new feature of the new apex.  Everything (except the "brain") has a mounting bracket it slides on and off of.  It's super useful so I can take things out to connect wires and then drop them back in place.  The brains flips out which isn't as nice IMO but is still and improvement over it being completely stationary like the classic.

32443403904_58506832da_c.jpg

I'm using my old S4 for a display.  I surprisingly like it a lot.  I need a display.  I like being able to walk by the tank and do a quick check.  So, for me a display was necessary but I really didn't want to pay $100 for a crappy apex display and I usually don't care for fusion.  But this set up hasn't made me angry yet.  So that's good. 

32443419384_6524929e82_c.jpg

Obligatory NanoBox pic.  I'm super excited for this light.  I plan on playing with it today since I like my tanks whiter/warmer/ whatever than the standard settings.  I am hoping one day Bluefish will return to the idea of a total aquarium controller.  Which is a reason I bought these lights as well so @skoechle and I can play with BlueFish.  I like Apex, but it has a lot of drawbacks.  It's just the best controller on the market right now.  I really would like something better though.  Once again, all those reasons were also in my long, Blue Screen of Death post.

32443422504_dc50733630_c.jpg

All up and running.  One last pic before my laptop decided to screw me over. lol

THE LIST:

• Cable Management
  • Fix my ATO.  It's been overfilling and I don't know what I'm going to do about it.  I think I can tune it in, but I'm starting to run out of ideas, so we may bite the bullet and buy a new ATO.  We're looking at the IM Hydrofill since we already have the corresponding pump.
  • Calibrate Conductivity probe.  Apex is dumb (went over that in more detail in the deleted post).  The forums suggest letting the probe sit for a few days or a week before trying to calibrate since it won't do it now.
  • Upgrade QuietDrive.
    • Ding dong here didn't realize the WXM module counts as a "pump" for communication.  Ecotech never mentioned it on their website so I bought the wireless "capable" one trying to save a few bucks.
    • I ordered the RF Module for $45 to make it wireless.  After shipping, I overpaid by $11 than if I hadn't made the mistake to begin with.  Not costly, but a little disappointing.  You know me, I hate delays.  But maybe posting this will help someone in the future.  IF YOU PLAN ON USING AN APEX WXM, YOU NEED THE WIRELESS MP10. There, maybe that will help someone when googling in the future.  because it did not show up for me until "MP10QD not connecting to WXM"
  • Fix the Sicce pump.  It is loud.  I have to call MD with an update Friday and go from there.  But it is loud.  I hope it quiets down.  The hum is reasonable, its actually not bad, but there is a grind that won't quit.  Here's a video I sent to Marine Depot (I sent a few of the pump in different scenarios) so you can here what I'm talking about and if you've dealt with this and figured out a solution, please let me know.  I'm also going to be researching different alternatives like the Tunze in case I can't fix it and maybe have to go with a different pump.  Which would suck because sicce has rave reviews and I really like the flow its putting out. 

You can hear the grind into the master bedroom.  Fully running the tank with lights with fan on, the mp10QD at 70%, and the IM Ghost skimmer,  this grinding noise is the most noticeable sound and carries into the master bedroom.  its maddening.  MD agrees that is louder than they normally run but we decided to see if it quiets down over the week because this is the second sicce in this tank and we'll see where to go from there whether is defective or, like I said, maybe I need to try a different pump. I had one though in my skimmer and it was so quiet.  I really just want this one to work though and quiet down, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  (and I already did the standard pull it apart, make sure it isn't touching anything, etc etc) This one just constantly sounds like its running dry when it isn't.  

Anyways, I think that's everything?  Oh! And got our Reef A Palooza tickets.  So, I'm super excited for that!

• Like 5
Just now, lkoechle said:

Ugh, well my laptop gave me the blue screen of death so I lost my original update post.  Which was really great and highly informative comparing and contrasting and reviewing the Apex 2016 to the Apex Classic Gold package. Or at least I thought it was really great.

If you are interested in that, let me know and I'll re-do it.  

We got the Apex installed and the reef lights up.  We bought and cut melamine boards and affixed them with velcro to avoid any drilling into the MDF stand.

Photos:

32443361514_00ced1920f_c.jpg

@skoechle marking the boards for cutting

32443368784_c6440d3429_c.jpg

My kids because they're awesome and we had to do a Costco run in the middle of installing.  You can't do tank stuff while they're awake, so we ran errands to fill the time until nap #2.

32443375734_dd8dd3b856_c.jpg

Laying stuff out

33245297896_8c2c4e297b_c.jpg

Wire jungle but everything is up and running.  Cable management is on the to-do list.

Now you may be wondering, how do you work in there?  It's so cramped.

Well, that is one new feature of the new apex.  Everything (except the "brain") has a mounting bracket it slides on and off of.  It's super useful so I can take things out to connect wires and then drop them back in place.  The brains flips out which isn't as nice IMO but is still and improvement over it being completely stationary like the classic.

32443403904_58506832da_c.jpg

I'm using my old S4 for a display.  I surprisingly like it a lot.  I need a display.  I like being able to walk by the tank and do a quick check.  So, for me a display was necessary but I really didn't want to pay $100 for a crappy apex display and I usually don't care for fusion.  But this set up hasn't made me angry yet.  So that's good. 

32443419384_6524929e82_c.jpg

Obligatory NanoBox pic.  I'm super excited for this light.  I plan on playing with it today since I like my tanks whiter/warmer/ whatever than the standard settings.  I am hoping one day Bluefish will return to the idea of a total aquarium controller.  Which is a reason I bought these lights as well so @skoechle and I can play with BlueFish.  I like Apex, but it has a lot of drawbacks.  It's just the best controller on the market right now.  I really would like something better though.  Once again, all those reasons were also in my long, Blue Screen of Death post.

32443422504_dc50733630_c.jpg

All up and running.  One last pic before my laptop decided to screw me over. lol

THE LIST:

• Cable Management
  • Fix my ATO.  It's been overfilling and I don't know what I'm going to do about it.  I think I can tune it in, but I'm starting to run out of ideas, so we may bite the bullet and buy a new ATO.  We're looking at the IM Hydrofill since we already have the corresponding pump.
  • Calibrate Conductivity probe.  Apex is dumb (went over that in more detail in the deleted post).  The forums suggest letting the probe sit for a few days or a week before trying to calibrate since it won't do it now.
  • Upgrade QuietDrive.
    • Ding dong here didn't realize the WXM module counts as a "pump" for communication.  Ecotech never mentioned it on their website so I bought the wireless "capable" one trying to save a few bucks.
    • I ordered the RF Module for $45 to make it wireless.  After shipping, I overpaid by $11 than if I hadn't made the mistake to begin with.  Not costly, but a little disappointing.  You know me, I hate delays.  But maybe posting this will help someone in the future.  IF YOU PLAN ON USING AN APEX WXM, YOU NEED THE WIRELESS MP10. There, maybe that will help someone when googling in the future.  because it did not show up for me until "MP10QD not connecting to WXM"
  • Fix the Sicce pump.  It is loud.  I have to call MD with an update Friday and go from there.  But it is loud.  I hope it quiets down.  The hum is reasonable, its actually not bad, but there is a grind that won't quit.  Here's a video I sent to Marine Depot (I sent a few of the pump in different scenarios) so you can here what I'm talking about and if you've dealt with this and figured out a solution, please let me know.  I'm also going to be researching different alternatives like the Tunze in case I can't fix it and maybe have to go with a different pump.  Which would suck because sicce has rave reviews and I really like the flow its putting out. 

You can hear the grind into the master bedroom.  Fully running the tank with lights with fan on, the mp10QD at 70%, and the IM Ghost skimmer,  this grinding noise is the most noticeable sound and carries into the master bedroom.  its maddening.  MD says that is louder than they normally run, we decided to see if it quiets down over the week because this is the second sicce in this tank and we'll see where to go from there whether is defective or, like I said, maybe I need to try a different pump. I had one though in my skimmer and it was so quiet.  I really just want this one to work though and quiet down, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  (and I already did the standard pull it apart, make sure it isn't touching anything, etc etc) This one just constantly sounds like its running dry when it isn't.  I

Would love to hear your review on the new apex vs apex classic!

5 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

reef a Palooza? Orlando? When is that? I'm thinking I should go there instead of New Orleans in August.

May 6 & 7 (I think, its the first weekend in may.  So those days) We are going Saturday.   and yes, its in Orlando. :)

1 minute ago, lkoechle said:

May 6 & 7 (I think, its the first weekend in may.  So those days) We are going Saturday.   and yes, its in Orlando. :)

Ugh! Figures. I've got I huge Event in Miami that weekend that I can't miss.

• Like 1

Tank's been cycled for a few days.  I had a horrible day yesterday that consisted of my 3 year old painting in poop and as a result of needing to clean that and take care of my 1 year old, I didn't get to eat ANYTHING until 3 pm.  And I get HANGRY.  

Well, my husband came home with chick-fil-a for everyone and then the most beautiful words he can say, "Do you want to go to the fish store and get your clowns?"  UM YES! I most certainly do.

Introducing Helo and Athena (aka Boomer or Sharon or Cylon B****, whatever you prefer) They are a Black Ice and a Mocha Ice.  Athena is the Mocha Ice and Helo is the Black Ice.  I'll be interested to see how their colors change as they mature.  I hope Helo continues  to retain some orange and I hope Athena blackens up a bit on top like our past mochas.  They're very friendly and Athena is totally top B.  Fearless and no hiding from these guys even with the big camera out which my other clowns have ran away from in the past.  

33284768736_056dee8243_c.jpg

Athena up front, Helo behind

33325454845_e0012be9fc_c.jpg

Helo up front, Athena behind

33170276732_f38b737214_c.jpg

Helo

33170297562_1603d7f248_c.jpg

Athena

I really love the helmets on these guys.  And I think its cute that Helo's is blunt over the head while Athena has an inverted "M".  It's cute and they're mine.  So far there seems to be a lot of submission twitching from Helo, which is good to see, I think they'll pair and get along better than my last clowns.

This morning though my son (the poop painter) taught me some things while we were listening to Prince Royce in front of the reef tank:

Son: *watch clowns play in the pump stream*  Look!  Feeshies dancing! Blub, blub, blub, dance, dance, dance!

Me: Oh they are?

Son: Yeah! *points towards the kitchen where the betta tank is* Feeshy Friend (thats what he calls the betta) is singing!

Moral of the story:  Clownfish dance and bettas sing.

7df2f065e044d6f93149fceaedc23c5695642413

• Like 7