Pod Your Reef

Mr Aqua 12 Scape

Bamzam

Hello,

I got some very nice dry rock from reef cleaners. Thoughts on the scape? I still have a few pieces of rock left in case I should try to change something up

QmwZDXql.jpg

pics in tank for size reference. I'm pretty set on the left and right sides...I'm just not sure what to do with the middle. Is this too much rock? Too much of the same height going on?

RYlfRbbl.jpg

You read my mind. I was wondering how tall the rocks were.

I think it's not bad, but you might make it more interesting if it's not quite so symmetrical. Also, I'd imagine you'll wish you had a little more room in there - especially when it comes to cleaning. It's only going to get tighter when you add corals. :)

The only problem is I can't make them much taller since the left one is already close to where my water line will be. I'm thinking of taking the middle one out completely down the road when I get some coral in there...so I'll just have the arch and the ledge

I'm with you on that. You could even extend the ledge then, if the middle is removed. You definitely don't want to go up any more. What kind of lighting are you planning?

I really like your tank do you think you could post some photos of your internal sump? I plan on building one soon and love to see how you did it. Good luck!

Thanks Ford. I'll probably start a build thread soon so I can track my progress as well. Right now my filtration is an AIO insert from www.oceanboxdesigns.com with a eheim 600 pump. I left the media rack empty for now while I cycle, but I plan to use just filter floss and chemipure blue.

Lighting is something I've been debating a while. I ended up going with the current usa orbit based on some others on the forum having success with it on this tank. I didnt want to overkill/have algae issues on such a small tank since im a beginner. I didnt go with the pro model either because I know myself and I know if I upgrade to a larger tank one day that I'd want to buy some nice kessils or nanobox rather than transfer a orbit pro.

Oceanbox Designs

pics in tank for size reference. I'm pretty set on the left and right sides...I'm just not sure what to do with the middle. Is this too much rock? Too much of the same height going on?

RYlfRbbl.jpg

Good looking tank, especially that AIO Reef Conversion Kit :)

MrNanoReef

RYlfRbbl.jpg

First rock work seems too tall for me, taking out the top rock for a bit of negative space may look better and move the middle pile a bit toward the back to create some depth so your whole rock work is like an arch from top-down.

RYlfRbbl.jpg

Yeah I agree with you. I like the left side. But the middle and right are too much the same height. I would either just take out the middle rock all together or shift the center rock to the right side and just put a small island in the middle. Check out my scape in my aquamaxx 12L...almost identicle dims.

26558804530_f22ebf0762_k.jpg12L-1 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

blizzardscout2

You read my mind. I was wondering how tall the rocks were.

I think it's not bad, but you might make it more interesting if it's not quite so symmetrical. Also, I'd imagine you'll wish you had a little more room in there - especially when it comes to cleaning. It's only going to get tighter when you add corals. :)

I whole heartily agree with this. I added rock that was too large for my tank and I have been pulling out rock ever since. Lol. It looks great, but just make sure you aren't crowding yourself. All in all, if you love it then there is nothing to change.

Agree with the above posters. I think it might be too much rock. You want to leave room for corals and growth - and you also want to make sure it is easy enough to clean. I've learned the hard way and like blizzardscout2, have been removing rock ever since.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Very good advice above. I agree with you all...once my tank has cycled and I'm ready for some coral, I'm going to remove that middle rock and maybe move the ledge and the arch slightly closer together or maybe extend the ledge a bit .

• 2 weeks later...

Which corals you intend to keep should weigh heavily in your decision on how to scape.

A 12 gallon long tank has very little height and depth. I wouldn't mount anything but encrusting corals on the rocks you have shown. If you stick with zoanthids, palythoa, briarium, coralimorpharia and sympodium your scape will work just fine. If however you go with branching tree like corals they are going to run out of space very quickly.

I like to cut my rocks flat on the bottom(in my bare-bottom tank). Some of the rocks are but a single waifer theen. I can then mount a branching coral like say a metallic green sinularia on this very short wide platform rock knowing it will not break the surface for a good long time.

Think on how you want your tank to look grown in because it's goint to happen in less than two years if all goes well.

Yeah I agree with you. I like the left side. But the middle and right are too much the same height. I would either just take out the middle rock all together or shift the center rock to the right side and just put a small island in the middle. Check out my scape in my aquamaxx 12L...almost identicle dims.

26558804530_f22ebf0762_k.jpg12L-1 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I actually went with a Current USA orbit. DO, any feedback on the aquamaxx?

Archived