Pod Your Reef

? Teeny Tiny Brown ?Feather Dusters?

Astinus

:huh: I discovered some very Tiny Things, they look like Feather Dusters, Brown in color and I can not see a "Visible" Tube. They did "Retract" when touched. They are attached to the LR, and I am sure they were not there when I 1st got the LR from our LFS back on Valentine's Day.

Can Feather Dusters lay dormant?

I can't get a Picture. They are way too small for the Phone Camera.

Should I be concerned? :huh:

So far I have only noticed these in 1 small area. In total, maybe 10 or less in the space of Nickel.

I Googled "Hydroids", and these don't quite look like them. IF they are Hydroids, will anything eat them?

If worst comes to worst, I can pull the LR out and spot treat. No Corals have attached to the LR yet.

How would I spot treat? With Super Glue Gel?

I'd like to hear what others may think before I "Panic" lol "What me panic???" umm..Not panicking yet. :scarry::scarry:

LadyBryozoa

Could be bryozoans - my specialty!

I have a dead colony of bryozoans on my rock (dead before I got it). They can grow bushy like hydroids or they can be encrusting, with the skeleton attached to the rock/substrate. If it looks like little tentacles coming directly from the rock it could be bryos.

Here's a video I recently took of some bryos under the microscope. This isn't a species found in aquaria, but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Could be bryozoans - my specialty!

I have a dead colony of bryozoans on my rock (dead before I got it). They can grow bushy like hydroids or they can be encrusting, with the skeleton attached to the rock/substrate. If it looks like little tentacles coming directly from the rock it could be bryos.

Here's a video I recently took of some bryos under the microscope. This isn't a species found in aquaria, but it'll give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Damn...Link doesn't work :(

But! I feel Honored and privileged to have a Marine Biologist reply.

I promise I will try and get some pictures. If they are Bryzoas, are they okay? Or are they a "pest" in our Reef Tanks?

I set up our Tank on Feb 14th. Got the Live Rock and after I scaped I added the salt water and then the "wait". Our Salt water was a mix of Salt Water from the LFS' display Tank (15 Gallons) and 10 Gallons of Premix from the same store.

I just think it is cool to discover new life, well, new to me, in our tank. We have a 28 Gallon Nano Cube.

We do have "Tube Worms", the Small White Feather Dusters with Small white tubes. (Good Stuff)

But with this discovery Last night, I can't see any Visible Tube and what appears to be a Feather Duster "Fan" coming out of the Rock

is Brown, so, it is kind of hard to see against the background of the Rock.

natalia_la_loca

Even a bad photo might help for identification.

I had brown colonial hydroids in my old zoa garden. They look like tiny feather dusters, have no tube and retract when disturbed.

They can spread over every surface if left unchecked. The kind I had spread with runners (rootlike tissue expanding outward from the base) and were capable of smothering zoanthids--they would actually grow up the bases of the zoas.

Superglue gel is an effective treatment. I'm still killing the last tiny survivors on one of the zoa frags I brought over to my reefbowl.

I did take some Pics...Quality isn't great, but, Some detail can be made out.

Blurry, but this is at an extreme close up.

6FPpLc.jpg

yqu5CE.jpg

07euZR.jpg

Even a bad photo might help for identification.

I had brown colonial hydroids in my old zoa garden. They look like tiny feather dusters, have no tube and retract when disturbed.

They can spread over every surface if left unchecked. The kind I had spread with runners (rootlike tissue expanding outward from the base) and were capable of smothering zoanthids--they would actually grow up the bases of the zoas.

Superglue gel is an effective treatment. I'm still killing the last tiny survivors on one of the zoa frags I brought over to my reefbowl.

TY! Pics Posted. "IF" these are nasties, I am definitely going to take measures to "WIPE them OUT" Mwahahaha :owned::rant:

natalia_la_loca

Yes, I'm pretty sure those are the same thing I had. I suggest you smother them now while they are still manageable.

Yes, I'm pretty sure those are the same thing I had. I suggest you smother them now while they are still manageable.

Just Got some Superglue Gel. Will take these suckers out.

LadyBryozoa

I'd agree that they look like hydroids. Thanks for the pics!

Sorry my video didn't work...let me try again. LINK.

I'd agree that they look like hydroids. Thanks for the pics!

Sorry my video didn't work...let me try again. LINK.

TY LadyB, The Link Worked and, although these don't quite look like Hydroids I can find on Google, but I trust folks' words that these are those.

I am curious. Can they sit dormant? How could I have gotten them? I Haven't added anything in a little while.

Crap! Now I am somewhat worried that the whole tank might have them. That would bite ***

I am glad that U could make out some detail in the pics.

Archived