70W MH bulbs: Ushio 10K vs AB 20K

skeletor

ok, I just got an AB 20K 70W MH bulb as I wanted to replace the Ushio 10K with something a little blue :)

here is the Ushio 10K:

100_5552.sized.jpg

and here is the AB 20K:

100_5558.sized.jpg

The color is nice on the 20K, but the 10K was significantly brighter. I think I like the 20K anyway.

-skeletor-

I've had both 10k and 20k bulbs before, but in 150watt versions. 20k is nice but I noticed my eyes fatigued more than when I had a 10k whenever I looked at my tank for periods of time. I prefer the more natural look of 10ks. They just make you wanna get naked with Josie Maran.

Originally posted by Telecaster

I prefer the more natural look of 10ks. They just make you wanna get naked with Josie Maran.

maybe you only get that effect with the 150w DE's, I haven't had the same urges myself :D :D

-skeletor-

• 3 weeks later...

The 20K seems to have burnt itself into a nice color, and I'm a lot happier with it now then when I first fired it up. Colors on the zoos are starting to pop and the tank has that nice white/blue look to it now.

100_5732.sized.jpg

-skeletor-

Skeltor - thank you for that last pic. You've made up my mind. My future 10g will have a AB 20K 70W on it. I wasn't sure which way to go. I wasn't too impressed w/ the color in the first pic (kind of a weird blue IMO), but 16 days later it looks awesome much nicer than the 10K. My future 10g corals and I thank you. :o)

By the looks of it it doesn't seem to need any actinic help like the 10Ks do (IMO). The 20K seems to cover both of those areas nicely. Now, I'm thinking of having the 70W 20K as the only light.

yep Nudi, I'm liking the color a lot more now too, and no actinic required.

I picked up the ballast in the classifieds, they show up every now and again. LampDr used to sell them, not sure if he still does tho, send hime a pm or find his thread in the classifieds. You can also use somthing like this: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=32322 which can be found on ebay for $10 - $20.

the bulb came from here: http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/mercha...tegory_Code=MHB

The fixture is from Lowes, I drilled a couple of vent holes in the top and that's about it.

daniel: for an 18 tall I'd go with a 150w DE, the ballast is a few dollars more, but bulbs are $20-$30 cheaper and there is a wider selection available. The 70w is great for shorter tanks up to something like a 20L. depends on what you want to keep tho, it would work great for softies and zoos.

-skeletor-

how have your growth rates changed with the 20k vs. the 10k? and if it hs lowered do you think that instead of an actinic supplement maybe a 50/50 would help?

Archived