inTank Media Baskets

Aquamaxx over Nuvo 8 - Settings

tmhasara

I recently purchased an Aquamaxx Nemolight for my Nuvo 8. The factory light was 8 watts, the Nemolight is 18 watts. I'm currently running the Nemolight at 40% power.

Does anyone know approximately what percentage I should stop at? I don't have a par meter.

I have zoa's, zenia and frogspawn, so nothing in need of high light, but I do like bright tanks.

Thanks!

Cencalfishguy56

I recently purchased an Aquamaxx Nemolight for my Nuvo 8. The factory light was 8 watts, the Nemolight is 18 watts. I'm currently running the Nemolight at 40% power.

Does anyone know approximately what percentage I should stop at? I don't have a par meter.

I have zoa's, zenia and frogspawn, so nothing in need of high light, but I do like bright tanks.

Thanks!

i would start at 40% if everything is open and not shrinking then you can bump up 5% every week till you get the intensity you like, if the corals are reaching then you can bump it up by 10% to see how they react, that's what I would do

Everything is open and seems to be quite happy.

Is it conceivable to run the unit at 100%?

My concern is bleaching. Will I be able to notice that and back off if I stick with 5% weekly increases?

Cencalfishguy56

Everything is open and seems to be quite happy.

Is it conceivable to run the unit at 100%?

My concern is bleaching. Will I be able to notice that and back off if I stick with 5% weekly increases?

at 18 watts on a nuvo 8, what's the height on the nuvo and how high up off the water is the light? I'd max out at 70-80% you have lowlight and moderate light corals

Typically you may notice closed polyps before bleaching

The tank is approximately 12 inches high, and I have the light directly on the glass lid, so, it's about 1.25 inches above the water's surface.

Great. Thanks for the info on the polyps potentially closing. Didn't know that.

Cencalfishguy56

The tank is approximately 12 inches high, and I have the light directly on the glass lid, so, it's about 1.25 inches above the water's surface.

Great. Thanks for the info on the polyps potentially closing. Didn't know that.

yea typically if your light is too bright LPS and softies will retract and they don't look as puffy IME, but Acros bleach easy lol and since its that close id aim for 60% see how they do then go from there, got any pics of the light? I'm interested in setting up a small tank with it

I've been meaning to take some and do a review. Maybe this weekend. I'll try to remember to send you a link if I do.

Thus far, I'm very happy with it, especially for the money.

Thanks again.

Cencalfishguy56

I've been meaning to take some and do a review. Maybe this weekend. I'll try to remember to send you a link if I do.

Thus far, I'm very happy with it, especially for the money.

Thanks again.

yea that would be cool! But yea the price point is phenomenal, I want to pair one with one of aquamaxx rimless tanks but no problem
  • 1 month later...

Any updates on the light

Absolutely.

My tank and corals are doing very well with the light. However, I had such a hard time getting the internal timer set up that I'm currently using a mechanical outlet timer.

The biggest fault with the internal timer is that you have to go through the set up at the same time that you want the light to turn on.

In other words, if you want the light to turn on at 10 A.M., you have to go through the set up process at 10 A.M. This was a problem for me due to my work schedule. I was hoping to use a 12 hour light cycle, coupled with the sunrise and sunset function. The only time I was able to go through the process was on the weekend. I think I tried to set it up four separate times (which thus took two weeks), and could never get it to work. So, I thought the unit was faulty and called Marine Depot. I'm guessing they had received a lot of similar calls because the rep was very familiar with the perceived issue and transferred me to a tech who tried to help, to no avail.

As I mentioned, I gave up and just put it on a mechanical timer. Fortunately, the unit retains the power settings for each channel, but I do obviously lose the ability to use the sunrise and sunset features, which is a downer. However, even with that being said, the unit is still a great value, in my opinion.

Marine Depot

So, I thought the unit was faulty and called Marine Depot. I'm guessing they had received a lot of similar calls because the rep was very familiar with the perceived issue and transferred me to a tech who tried to help, to no avail.

We are still very happy to assist you and would love the opportunity to help get the sunrise/sunset set up just the way you want it. Please feel free to send us an email if calling is inconvenient.

We are still very happy to assist you and would love the opportunity to help get the sunrise/sunset set up just the way you want it. Please feel free to send us an email if calling is inconvenient.

I appreciate the offer. Thank you.

I just got this light for my 10g IM.

Can I ask how you know what percentage its running at? Is it indeed 5% increments?

What do you run your whites at and blue at?

I just got this light for my 10g IM.

Can I ask how you know what percentage its running at? Is it indeed 5% increments?

What do you run your whites at and blue at?

I'm not sure what percentage they're at to be honest. My guess is approximately 40, maybe 50% on both blue and white channels. I do, however, have my light resting on the lid of the tank, which probably increases the intensity versus using the mount.

Yes, the instructions do indicate 5% increments.

I've been alternating increasing each channel by 5% per week (blue one week, white the next). My GSP, frogspawn and clove polyps are loving it. My Eagle Eyes may be losing color.

Great. Thank you so much for the info. We did start at 40% white and 45 blue.

Just keep an eye out for bleaching in the coming days. Depending on what light you had beforehand, starting out at that level may or may not be an issue. With that being said, your tank is larger, so you may be just fine.

Archived