Cultivated Reef

jcreefer’s IM Fusion 30L -Clownfish egg batch #3

jcreefer

43 minutes ago, chipz said:

Those trumpet corals on the right side look so puffed up and happy!

Thanks! It’s by far the brightest piece in the tank, like a glow stick almost.  Keep growing with no more room!  

• Like 1

Got this 1/2 inch WD Frag a few weeks back during TSA’s live sale.  It’s settled in nicely and starting to base out.  If I squint hard enough, I can almost see a pink/purple ring around the coralite.  Let’s hope it turns out to be as gorgeous as everyone says 

48D81D0F-8466-4C74-8B66-56298221FF16.jpeg

• Like 2

Been trying to dial in the alk.  I'm using Red Sea blue bucket, and tested a freshly mixed batch to ~8 dKh, I've been slowly adjusting my doser to match the tested parameter.  Been thinking about switching salt since the salt mix is a tad low on Cal (~400ppm), and Mg (1170ppm).  Anyone have recommendation that may get me to my target?

Would like the following:

Alk: 8.0-8.5

Cal: 410-250

Mg: 1250-1300

IMG_6160.thumb.jpg.ff951a725b099cf0b9f0c74736bf5cfd.jpg

54 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

two fancy acros in one week!!  🤤😁 

Only what the wife allows!!! (and don’t know the true $$) 🤣  Plus, I’m trying to catch up to you!!!

• Haha 1

Great, one of two hood mounted fans is busted, right in the midst of a 5 day near 100F weather.  Guess I shouldn't be surprised, the fan is 4 years old and subjected to salt creep (see rust).  Time to hit up Amazon and order a replacement.  

IMG_6168.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Waiting for my ATI ICP test results, really patiently. In the mean time, I finally got a chance to photograph the tank with a real camera.  

DE6BFAC9-5080-4541-86BF-1D9A13AB28FC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Just found this thread, but it is incredible to see how much everything has grown in! Hopefully when I start introducing corals to my tank they don’t just all die off 😬

22 minutes ago, FreshwaterFishMan said:

Just found this thread, but it is incredible to see how much everything has grown in! Hopefully when I start introducing corals to my tank they don’t just all die off 😬

Thanks for the kind words!  Don’t want to keep beating a dead horse, but patience is the key (and lack of $$$ 🤣).  It leads to stability and zen.  When you take the time to  test, observe, and visualize the goal, it helps you slow it down and appreciate every facet of your little piece of the ocean.  

Good luck!

Jeff

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jcreefer said:

Thanks for the kind words!  Don’t want to keep beating a dead horse, but patience is the key (and lack of $$$ 🤣).  It leads to stability and zen.  When you take the time to  test, observe, and visualize the goal, it helps you slow it down and appreciate every facet of your little piece of the ocean.  

Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks 🙂

Woohoo, got my ATI ICP results back. My tank PASSED!!!!  Samples were delivered and received on Monday 7/27/2020, and results uploaded Friday 7/31/2020.  So turn around time for results is 4 days.  Since I only test Alk, Phos, Ca, Mg, Nitrate, and Salinity, those are the only ones that I have data to do a baseline comparison with.  In general, the ICP results confirm the Salifert numbers.  Obviously we're comparing hobby grade to lab grade, but they are within the ball park.  The Mg is what stands out, as you can see, theres is a 100 ppm variance between the two tests.  The NO3 is expected since it's difficult to differentiate between 10ppm and 25ppm based on color.  The test confirms and recommends to add Phos, so now I got to figure out how to raise Phos, and maintain (or lower) NO3. 

Salifert Test results (1 month average):

Alk = 7.942 dKh

Phos = 0.005 ppm

Ca = 411 ppm

Mg = 1176 ppm

NO3 =  21.25 ppm

ATI ICP Test results in mg/L (1 mg/mL = 1 ppm):

Alk = 7.74 dKh

Phos =  0.01 ppm 

Ca = 385.7 mg/L 

Mg = 1278 mg/L 

NO3 =  10.44 mg/L

ICP pt1.jpg

ICP pt2.jpg

ICP pt3.jpg

OG Mummy Eye chalice. One of three giant pieces that I had to break off since it grows relatively fast.  I much prefer the green more than the yellow that it gets from the high PAR.  

75F6FE43-2241-43A3-9D4E-D211BAEA4FB8.jpeg