Cultivated Reef

Leather-n-lace

StinkyBunny

StinkyBunny

Something's gonna horribly awry in the coral and fish holding systems. The only thing that I can think is that the Sea Hares died and poisoned the systems. Before dawn I fear all of the fish will be dead. Already lost all of the angels and tangs in there. :(

FlowerMama

Oh man. I heard to beware of those. Yikes, can you do some water changing or does carbon take it out or what?? How big was the sea hare?

StinkyBunny

I've been up most of the night changing water, did about a 90% WC in the 2 systems, waiting for the RO to catch back up. I added 2kg of carbon to each system. I'm going to bed. I will say that I LOVE the Aquaforest salt, mixes damn near instantly.

StinkyBunny

Not good, lost all fish except the shrimp gobies, even killed the green chromis. The zoas are doing well as well as the Gonioporas, shrimp were unaffected.

Not good, lost all fish except the shrimp gobies, even killed the green chromis. The zoas are doing well as well as the Gonioporas, shrimp were unaffected.

Well, crap. Any idea what happened?

StinkyBunny

Well, crap. Any idea what happened?

Yea, the only common denominator was 2 dead sea hares in each system. Apparently I had to get the toxic ones. :/

StinkyBunny

Shit happens when you import, I knew there was the possibility. If they feed on any form of red algae before they're shipped and they die in your system, KABOOM. The loss that hurts the most was our little Emporer angel and the Starry blenny. I don't like to lose ANYTHING, those creatures lives are entrusted to us and I hate to lose them. So we step back learn from our mistakes and don't make that mistake ever again. I've brought them in from other places and never had an issue, now I know that Indonesian Sea Hares are dangerous.

Damn!! StinkyB! So sorry to hear about ur Die off! (Kill Off)

That shit is a crazy expensive lesson :( Glad to hear that u did not lose the entire tank.

U have my Sympathy! :flower::grouphug:

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

It's all good, live and learn. I was going to move the Emporer out the day before the Indo shipment came in and I didn't.

OK, Lamarck's angels seem to like my damn worm rocks which is distressing them so I moved them out. They're jockeying to become a male and hopefully we'll end up with a pair. Gonna fall back to the tree line for a month or so and gather intel, come back in the fall and do a bunch of frag swaps.

StinkyBunny

Found out something about the Cladiella corals, they have a chemical they can use when they touch another coral. I have a fuzzy finger that it burned the ever loving hell out of. So a word to the wise is keep some distance between them and other corals. I don't know how they affect SPS, but in a soft coral battle, they kick ass.

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

Yea, it's still pissed off, 2 days later. I redirected the powerhead to make sure whatever's on there is blown off and away.