Innovative Marine Aquariums

Opinions on aquascape?

Wnyreefer

I'm in the process of setting up a new tank. I want to have a drop off/wall on either the back of the tank or covering the overflow coming partially out of the water. My plan is to block out three sides and have the one length side of the tank viewable. Here are a few shots, again a work in progress. On top of the wall will be mangroves. The size of the tank is 48x24x16. Thoughts?

First two against glass length and from above the next two are over the overflow.

post-91268-0-25786200-1461543258_thumb.jpeg

post-91268-0-39110100-1461543275_thumb.jpeg

post-91268-0-26754000-1461543293_thumb.jpeg

post-91268-0-08218000-1461543304_thumb.jpeg

tdannhauser30

Is that all one piece of rock? I am confused you plan on covering up three sides of your tank? And hey good to see another WNY reefer on here!!

No they are multiple pieces. I am still curing them they are pukani and I'm working on getting the phosphates down. Yes I am planning on covering three sides. I wanted to try to achieve a depth of field with having a longer tank. Having smaller rocks up front and progressively get bigger in the back. If that makes sense? Good to see you too, WNY represent!

tdannhauser30

Well first off you got some nice rock, stuff looks good. Second I like your idea of having a rock wall drop off then small rocks peppered into the front. You kind of lose me on the covering up three sides but that's fine I am easily confused and im sure it makes sense lol :lol: . Anyway just keep in mind that if you make that rock wall a ton of crap will accumulate back there and be a real Pain in the A$$ to clean out. Also will be a dead spot. Would be better if you could get your rock wall to free stand so you could leave an inch back there for cleaning and flow. That being said I have seen tons of tanks with rocks against the wall so not like its such a huge deal. Good luck with the build! Where did you get the rock? why do you think its leaching phosphates?

Well first off you got some nice rock, stuff looks good. Second I like your idea of having a rock wall drop off then small rocks peppered into the front. You kind of lose me on the covering up three sides but that's fine I am easily confused and im sure it makes sense lol :lol: . Anyway just keep in mind that if you make that rock wall a ton of crap will accumulate back there and be a real Pain in the A$$ to clean out. Also will be a dead spot. Would be better if you could get your rock wall to free stand so you could leave an inch back there for cleaning and flow. That being said I have seen tons of tanks with rocks against the wall so not like its such a huge deal. Good luck with the build! Where did you get the rock? why do you think its leaching phosphates?

Thank you. It is a good idea to leave a space between the back glass and the rock wall "never thought about that". I can support the wall with some PVC or acrylic and give an inch or two and possibly have my return pointed in that direction.

The rock is Pukani and I got it from Premium Aquatics "they are awesome!" I read before getting the pukani that it can leach phosphates so I gave it two vinegar baths and now I am using lanthanum chloride "in a storage container" to bring down whatever remaining phosphates there are before I build and cure the rock.

The idea looks awesome. I'm on board

Thank you! Looks like I should start a build thread.

Archived