JSinger884

Read If You Keep Coral!!

JSinger884

Is there any kind of coral that can be kept without a strong light source??:blush:

tommy

What is the wattage and type of light? Also, the size of the tank. Mushrooms can survive with little light.

JSinger884

Let's just say the minimum amount of light possible. Do you think that I can keep mushrooms?

LEEWINK

" Let's just say the minimum amount of light possible. "

Are you talking none here !

only suggestive here, think of the invert, its needs etc. most need lighting just depends on what and how much.

Skimp on lighting and all will fail.

Not sure why you ask as its a life forming need, maybe you should explain more for us to understand.

cheers, lee :)

JSinger884

Of course I have some light. Unfortunatly it came with a real basic set aquarium. I believe its only 30 watts.

printerdown01

30W on how large of a tank??? If you are talking 30W of Normal Output lighing on something the size of a 10 or 12 gallon you could be fine... anything else and it probably isn't possible... -I would venture to guess that I'm probably the only one that will tell you that 30W of NO on a 12 could be ok... but it really is I have done it...

*give us all the info you can on the tank... it is going to be the only way we'll be able to generate a list of corals for ya (especially tank size and lighting specs... how many bulbs, what type of lighing ect...)

tommy

yea we need to know the size of your tank!

NaNO ReeFiN

Please give us more details... exact wattage, size of your tank, and the height of your tank would help as well.

NaNO ReeFiN

Just read in another thread that you have a 30 gal. tank... I'd suggest you go with a Fish only with Live Rock until you upgrade those lights.

JSinger884

Its a 30 watt fluorescent light on a 30 gallon tank that is 18 inches tall. Is there not one species of coral that doesnt need much light?

ladyamanda

jsinger -

Short answer "no". If you want corals, you'll need to upgrade the lights. You could consider a fish, live rock and invert tank, and upgrade later. Check out "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" THey show a LR fish and invert system that can be converted to a reef w/ upgraded lights.

printerdown01

Possibly some gorgonia species and sponges, other than that you can't really do much... I don't think shrooms would make it, not even the brown ones... I have a 12 gallon with 30W of NO lighing, and my shrooms barely grew, so I don't imagine that 30W stretched over a tank twice its size would be enough to sustain them...

NaNO ReeFiN
Originally posted by JSinger884

Its a 30 watt fluorescent light on a 30 gallon tank that is 18 inches tall.  Is there not one species of coral that doesnt need much light?

Yeah, fake ones...

tinyreef

unless you feel like keeping separate feeder tanks and/or constantly buying live foods to keep non-photosynthetics corals then shrooms are basically the only option. (and even then it's really just the discosoma/rhodactis-type)

basically it breaks down to: low light=more food, high light=less food. i'm a lazy slob so i eventually gravitated over time to just basically keeping photosynthetic softies (turn light on turn light off, whew i'm tired! :P ). lizbeth and others feed their sun corals and ilk daily (ugh). it depends on what you're willing to do in regular maintenance for the livestock.

NanoReefer53

OoOOo, u can keep aiptasia (sp?)

tommy

You should try to invest for better lighting, trust me. I put a 32w smartlite into my eclipse 6 and I put my first coral in yesterday(branching hammer). It is worth EVERY penny!

lizbeth
Originally posted by tinyreef

lizbeth and others feed their sun corals and ilk daily (ugh).   [/b]

You have me cornfused with some other crazy reef keeper. I'll admit I'm way to lazy to have to feed a coral every day. Right now tho I am growing a lovely culture of burgandy red slime algae. :)

ParticipationTrophyWife

Maybe, if positioned high enough, mushrooms would work. Or, you could get a nice feather duster worm- they don't require much light and from what I've read (no experience) they're quite hardy. You need about 5 watts per gallon for softies (like leathers or polyps) or LPS (large polyp stony, like hammer, brain, or candy cane corals).

Tasha

gobies

JSinger, I'm going to be moving my 10g into the exact same tank you have. Look for some of my threads on sandbed depth, lighting, etc. for various peoples' input.

I'm planning on a 2x96w compact fluorescent setup, with one of those the HelloLights actinic and the other one a 6500K bulb. And a 4" sand bed. This is for LPSs and some softies and shrooms, no SPSs, no clams.

cmoreash

Jdiver is the one that has the sun coral and takes it out to feed it.

I would go postal doing that, although I attempt to squirt some brine shrimp in the direction of my LPS.

tinyreef

cmoreash,

thanks, for straightening that mixup out. :blush:

lizbeth,

sorry about the mixup. lately i've been mixing up all the beautiful women of the hobby. (i.e. sushigirl & annick, you & jdiver). :love: ignorance is bliss :P we'll have to put out a calendar with names and pics so i get it right! :woot: