Pod Your Reef

180g with Apex build

Torqued

Hey folks,

I think the lumia 5.2 is the direction I want to go.

I have a 180g tank 72x24x24

I am thinking 6 Lumia 5.2s for a SPS tank should be ok?

What I want to be sure about is what exactly I need, because I dont see any clear build with my same setup on here.

I am thinking I need the following:

3x CREE Lumia 5.2 - 70w Full Spectrum 5 Channel CREE LED (Dual connectors)

3x CREE Lumia 5.2 - 70w Full Spectrum 5 Channel CREE LED (interconnect)

1x 72" MakersLED Designer Heatsink Kit - Professional Grade - Anodized

3x Coralux 5UP LDD driver board Looks like this isnt needed with MakersDRIVER 5UP Pro?

3x 180w 48v 3.75A DC Power Supply

9x Meanwell LDD-700H LED Driver

6x Meanwell LDD-1000H LED Driver

1x Thermal Greese

3x MakersDRIVER 5UP Pro

Is there anything I am missing? Am i ordering anything i DONT need? Again, I have an Apex controller, so do I need anything additional to control this array besides this list?

thx for the help guys!

Gus, based on the PAR readings, 2x Lumias per 24" gets above 100 par at the sandbed, and many people dont even run their arrays at full power, so why do you think i would need 12? That seems excessive...and very expensive compared to other LED options which are FAR cheaper and proven to grow SPS just fine. Kessils for example, I should be able to run 3-4 kessil 360wes for a cost of $1200-1600, vs what you are suggesting which would cost well over about $2500.

Here is a guy with an AMAZING sps tank, who has 2 kessil a360w, 1x lumia 5.2, and 2 chinese blocks (165w)

It's about spread not intensity. 6 Lumias on your tank would be shadowing-a-palooza. And no, 4 Kessil 360 is not enough either.

The guy in the video has a shorter tank than yours. His led/area density is greater than what you would have on your tank with 6 lumia.

His tank is 48x48x30. His is 6" deeper...

He does have some T5, and I think this is the option i will go with as well. Adding two tubes of T5 is probably a better/more economical option to fill in the gaps. While i dont like the "T5 Look", so long as they are just used to fill in the gaps, then i am perfectly fine with them.

Archived