inTank Media Baskets

J-Ranko's Nano 11g - a new beginning

J-Ranko

12 hours ago, SaltyBuddha said:

Really enjoyed watching your tank grow! Just about to start my first micro tanks and hope to have just as much success with my corals. Do you feed the corals food as well? Use any specific nutrient supplements for them as well?

Thanks! I feed my LPS coral frenzy and mysis. My dendro gets fed most frequently and usually the same time as the fish.  

I don't dose any nutrient supplements, though. I think those are too risky for nano tanks, unless you go ultra-low nutrient with something like carbon dosing or zeovit.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

Thanks! I feed my LPS coral frenzy and mysis. My dendro gets fed most frequently and usually the same time as the fish.  

I don't dose any nutrient supplements, though. I think those are too risky for nano tanks, unless you go ultra-low nutrient with something like carbon dosing or zeovit.

That is good to hear. I didn't want to use any extra supplements or chemicals if possible.

24 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

That is good to hear. I didn't want to use any extra supplements or chemicals if possible.

The only dosing necessary is to maintain the balance of Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium if you're going to keep LPS or SPS corals in your tank.  These elements you can test for and monitor carefully, so dosing is not that difficult or dangerous. I would say start with soft corals and see how their maintenance works for your schedule and lifestyle.  If you find those easy and don't mind adding a little more work to keep stony corals, then you can supplement calcium and alkalinity.

7 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

The only dosing necessary is to maintain the balance of Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium if you're going to keep LPS or SPS corals in your tank.  These elements you can test for and monitor carefully, so dosing is not that difficult or dangerous. I would say start with soft corals and see how their maintenance works for your schedule and lifestyle.  If you find those easy and don't mind adding a little more work to keep stony corals, then you can supplement calcium and alkalinity.

That sounds like a good plan. I eventually want some LPS and SPS corals but I'll start with a few soft corals to see how it works out. Thanks for the good info!

Archived