Innovative Marine Aquariums

Paradise on the Prairie

flatlandreefer

flatlandreefer

The head of my feather duster shed yesterday, I don't know if it is stressed out because the clowns and shrimp hang out by it or what the deal is but I think the worm is still in the tube. My flower nem caught the head and just finished swallowing the whole thing, the nem is huge!!!

1AED8395-75DE-4802-B20E-DC0D6861F260.jpg

Pinner Reef

I can't say why the feather duster shed it's crown. It's usually a bad sign though. They can obviously regrow the crown but, until then, they'll struggle to catch enough food. Make sure you dose lots of non-photosynthetic style foods in it's direction for best results. Free meal for the nem tho :rolleyes:

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
On 3/9/2017 at 9:24 PM, Pinner Reef said:

I can't say why the feather duster shed it's crown. It's usually a bad sign though. They can obviously regrow the crown but, until then, they'll struggle to catch enough food. Make sure you dose lots of non-photosynthetic style foods in it's direction for best results. Free meal for the nem tho :rolleyes:

Yeah im not sure? It has had plenty of access to food between fish eggs, rods food, and reef chili. I think it gets irritated quite a bit by inverts and my clowns hanging out around it...we shall see what happens

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

I picked up a IM feeding station/defroster online. I'm hoping more of th frozen food gets eaten by fish and less ends up on the sand bed and in the rock work. My main reason for doing this is an outbreak of cyano, also I am busy during the summer with work so this should make quick feedings easy! 

789BFA75-6101-4C6D-80DF-33D861C7EBE1.jpg

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

I picked up a IM feeding station/defroster online. I'm hoping more of th frozen food gets eaten by fish and less ends up on the sand bed and in the rock work. My main reason for doing this is an outbreak of cyano, also I am busy during the summer with work so this should make quick feedings easy! 

789BFA75-6101-4C6D-80DF-33D861C7EBE1.jpg

I'm curious to see how that works for you. 

I've seen them before and wondered. 

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

I just realized that for some reason the timer on ca doser needed to be reset and it hasn't been dosing for who knows how long.... so I have just been dosing alk for a while. I guess I will test calcium in the morning. 

flatlandreefer
30 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, that's great!!

So you put frozen cubes in the top of the cup and it melts and they eat through the hole in the bottom?

Yes, you put the frozen food in the top, it thaws, there are different sized small holes in the middle blue section that allow the food to be released.  There is another piece with identical holes that you can slide around to make the food release holes smaller or bigger to adjust how fast the food is released.  It works pretty well and ensures that more of the food gets eaten instead of going over the overflow or in the rock work. So far I think I will be happy with it.

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

After 5 days of using the feeding station it looks like it is having a positive impact on the cyano that I was seeing in my tank. I am feeding the same amount as I previously was, if not more, and my heavy spots of cyano seem to be a very light red color and fading away. Hopefully this trend continues, I think most of the food is getting eaten by the fish throughout the day as opposed to a food storm that was created before when it was just dumped into the tank and a lot of the stuff ended up in the Rock work and on the sand. 

• Like 1
On 3/2/2017 at 7:29 PM, flatlandreefer said:

I noticed the rock that my birdsnest is on wasn't secured very well and was moving with water movement so I grabbed some superglue to stabilize it.  After I super-glued it I noticed one of my files had grabbed a stay piece of superglue and had glued its mouth shut.  I didn't get any pics of it but I did manage to catch it and pull the piece out of its mouth.  It was kind of comical and I'm glad it turned out ok.

Be very careful, I had this happens and the file eventually died of starvation/intestinal obstruction 

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

Tested Paramaters today

Alk.  10dkh

salinity 1.0265

No3.  0

Po4.  0

Mg.   1350

Ca.   375   (Dosed back up to 425 adding 3.5 oz brs two part calcium, I need to test fresh salt mix to see where ca is at, it must me lower than I was thinking)

I did a water change this morning so I am assuming that is why my nutrients show 0. 

I also took took a piece of dry rock, drilled a small hole in it and glued my gorgonian to the rock in the drilled hole. I was having issues with the flow toppling it over when it was just attached to the ora plastic plug, I really don't like the design of the plastic plug. There was a small piece that came off the gorg so I glued it to my Rock work under the power head. 

flatlandreefer
19 minutes ago, Shoob1e said:

that feeder is awesome, might have to get one for my lagoon and my 100g

So far I'm really happy with it, prevents a blizzard of food going everywhere in the tank and the fish seem to eat more! 

3 minutes ago, flatlandreefer said:

So far I'm really happy with it, prevents a blizzard of food going everywhere in the tank and the fish seem to eat more! 

I hate that too, my gyre picks up a lot after they kick back on which makes cleaning the cover for it shitty  this may help with it  

• Like 1
flatlandreefer

Here is a quick pick of the gorg that I transferred over to a piece of dry rock as well as the small piece that I glued onto the existing rock work. Polyps opened back up today, it should be much happier not falling over all the time! 

15445FA2-5060-4833-B364-07D8CB155EBE.jpg

flatlandreefer

I picked up a fighting conch this weekend, he is about 1.5 inch long and was the smallest one the lfs had. 

I also got a hannah alkalinity meter because my Red Sea test is about out, I'm excited that I can get more accurate readings not just alkalinity based on the numbers of drops it took to change color. 

I was was talking to the lfs owner about my birdsnest losing its green color, he convinced me I need to move it down to lower light...not sure where though, the problem is finding a high flow spot in lower lighting. 

E4857D8E-3700-4EE6-B841-3578C2D64572.jpg