Cultivated Reef

Ryan's BC 29G

Ranjib

Liam's clove

Torch

The rainbow acan has grown thrice from its original two mouths in past 10 months...i think it's slow still

Original rainbow acan..almost 10 month back

• Like 1

Clown

Gsp is rocking as usual. I have decided to let it grow more. added some rock around it

Stylophora . I had some fluctuations with salinity once, it had impacted some of my sps.

One of the resident coral, clove has grown so much that I am planning to move it out of main rockwork, and isolate in its own island. Before I do that, heres a pic. I really like it in its current form, I just worry the way it's overtaking things

It always amazed me how the bubble coral grows and shrink it's polyps in day and night. Zoa and other corals do it as well, but I find bubble to have the highest contrast

At night:

At day:

Long weekend. Got some time to look at the tank. FTS (under blue light) 

My nausarius snail is Spider-Man :')

Hermit is cleaning up green zoas .six line looking for freebies 

I added an emerald crab recently. He is going through gsp 

Blue xenia has established a small colony in the neighboring clove colony

A close up of my bubble coral. I like the intricate texture 

Sps on top humming along

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I have recently started using gfo, to control phosphate. I am seeing serious improvements in ciano control. I didn't had a serious issue, but a persistent thin Ciano film used to be common in certain areas of the tank. Now that's gone :-). Added a new chalice from local fragsfragswap, (Miami harricane)

Liam's clove

Frog spawn

Goniopora

Bubble

Blue xenia offspring, surrounded by knopia polyp rock

I gave away lot of older corals (original blue xenia colony, some liam's clove ftag, a galaxea frag) to local frag swap. Planning to reduce bioloads, and slowly march towards beginner sps ...

I'm doing two parts now. Alkalinity was fluctuating in the beginning., it's being fairly stable for last few weeks .. I am finally seeing some growth on the sps sticks..still cautious. Thanks for all the advice  @seabass

fts

Monti, forgot the name, blue polyp green

Acropora sticks finally showing some growth. I'm glad it didn't see any rtn/stn. I lost couple of frags couple of months back, due to salinity swing

I love my six line. I like the way it moves around

I have 1 emerald crab in each of my three sisters tanks for more than couple of month now. I think they are all doing good, this one in particular 

From another angle 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have several vermatid snail in the tank, I tried mechanically removing them, but some of them grow back (I guess I left the base for some). Added epoxy on top of those during the weekend 

Miami hurricanes chalice from local frag swap

I moved my hammer from top to mid left couple of weeks back. I'll add beginner sps on top. Mid left now hammer, frogspawn, bubble and cloves in between. I call it Yosemite :-) . It so lush green 

my pistol shrimp leaves right below this sacred land 

Few weeks back we had storm in the bay area, coincidentally one (or may be two) of my trochus snail spawn.. initially I didnt understand whats happening, other than freaking out noticing the water is cloudy (I thought tank is crashing) .. fast forward, yesterday during tank water change I found a tiny trochus :-) 

Heres a close up

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Last few weeks been very busy with the reef-pi controller & maker faire exhibit. Tank was not ignored though. I am using the RO buddie now, so no more LFS trips just for water. Over all corals are doing good. Most of my SPS has grown more, except couple of acro sticks. I am slowly converting the top island of my rockscape to SPS dominant. I have move the hammer in the middle... and glued the last remaining purple monti frag on the back (next to green monti, with blue tip). 

I had to manually scrape of lot of my liam's clove. Its overtaking all of its neighbors, I am thinking whats the long term solution, if any.

Couple of my SPS has now grown almost double of their size, today, I have trimmed  them, and re-glued the frag on top of the tank. It was empty till now, I wanted the SPS to acclimatize before placing straight on top. The last one I had introduced in hurry and bleached away.

IMG_0961.JPG

Pieces of the old coral, regrafted 

And 

Other sps residents from top of the tank

and

And

And green pociliopora 

Top view of all sps

on the bottom ,  Miami Harriman chalice has now started extending, still slow,but I can notice new extensions on rock , it's one of my favorite coral.

zoas, gsp , knopia rock cloves all are doing alright. All of them have covered their island completely, so unless I frag them, they don't really have place to grow. Zoas will some time from lump hanging from the island :-)

The green Monti (with blue tips ) that was glued back side (almost middle ) now started covering the rock nearby 

overall I'm happy. I'll be more rigorous on my dosing going forward. Don't plan to add anything new anytime soon 

• Like 2

Side view fts

Reef tanks

i am thinking of getting rid of Liam's clove completely and replace it with some slow growing or less aggressive coral 

• Like 2

Got some macro shots today, using macro iPhone attachment 

green lanterns 

Reef tank june 2017

Gsp

Reef tank june 2017

I used an old snail shell as frag plug for green pociliopora, it has a single Liam's clove polyp as well

35247228385_3a1c11d370_b.jpg

Close up, notice the vermatid snail

Reef tank june 2017

Bubble 

Reef tank june 2017

Fts, is bit cloudy , just after water change 

Reef tank june 2017

• Like 2

Yeah, I am liking this one, I was thinking of getting sigma or something similar for my Nikon 5300, but I just find this one way more convenient 

35207487656_f9bb9d8e38_b.jpg

35082246102_24ef46b5af_b.jpg

• Like 2

Corals are doing alright, my sps are growing steadily, I am trimming liams clove almost every two weeks (they are still growing crazy). I think I have to trim some of the SPS also. I am slowly learning the importance of busing small sps sticks, that can grow according to the light/water preference, instead of buying larger acro sticks.

None the less, here are some pics

Tank shots

I took the photos right after feeding (saturday is oyester feast day :-) ). 3 mouth openings are visible

Tank shots

Took some top view shots today, soon after feeding, because mp10 and my return pump is off, 

Monti remained pretty same, my frogpawn had fallen from the rock (I think the glue came apart ??), this time fixed it with fluval reef epoxy

Tank shots

Miami hurricane challice, one of my favorite in the tank, growing very slowly. The pale outer ring is the new growth. I am not sure if they are slow grower, or just me not tanking proper care, 

Tank shots

I think this is purple stylophora, I had trimmed it from its mother colony and reglued it here , couple of weeks back, looks ok as of now

Tank shots

Like most of my sps, I dont know the name of this one, but its growing ok. The green pociliopora, right next to it needs to be trimmed. it growing crazy :-)

Tank shots

Other bright green acro 

Tank shots

Dark green, un named acro, growing well, slowly, but steadily 

Tank shots

I have ordered a bunch of new corals from cherry coral (they are having 10 year anniversary sale), i was cleaning up this tank for quite some time . Most lps are gone from top & middle. Dosing is now regular (weekly, two part). Phosphate & alkalinity is stable.

Top right view of the tank (shows how liam;s clove has taken over area). Goniopora retracted after feeding

Tank shots

I had glued my bubble coral perpendicular, due to my ignorance. Its one of the oldest (more than a year long i think) coral in the tank, it has done well , not grown crazy, but never did bad as well. Here is the top view

Tank shots

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I got some long awaited, mostly sps corals from cherrycorals delivered this week. They are resting in frag rack currently. Planning to glue them tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Mean while got some marcos :0-)

Corals , July 1st

My braincoral is doing great,

Love my bubble :-) , one of the earliest resident coral

35516639672_874b81732c_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

July FTS

36010316375_0a86e7d96d_b.jpg

Move my acans and blasto to bc29. Acans lost some tissue during the move , recovering slowly now. My pico tanks now have exclusively play/zoa in one, and gsp/clove/radioactive dragon eye. All these moves were in response to segregate the fast growing corals along side sexy shrink from others 

35199636573_d721b6af2e_b.jpg

Goniopora growing slowly, I can see new heads within the old heads, but their growth is no where close to other corals including the acros 

35621042040_c7f21d1a8a_b.jpg

Got this lepto from cherrycorals recently 

35876984891_a590176298_b.jpg

Right side fts 

36010316455_75d8681ee5_b.jpg

left side fts

35621042710_82b8783274_b.jpg

• Like 2