Coral Vue Hydros

Pukini vs reef saver

William

I don't think you should do a muriatic acid bath inside... Not sure how healthy that would be!

Vinegar will be smelly but probably okay

• 4 weeks later...
Thunderbird311

I asked myself this same question on my new tank. I decided on pukani because of the volume you get, the porosity, and imho it just is the best looking rock out there.14lbs was more than enough for a 20L with about 3-4 lbs leftover for the sump.

Because it is so light and porous it does have lots of dead stuff in it. I did some research on it and found that if it is a completely new setup you can cure and cycle all in the tank together. It may take a week or two extra time but a quick vinegar rinse and brush first will help as well as a second rinse and brush with a large (80+%) water change. It seemed like only a little extra work to get what I think is a better looking display. I don't think I would have been disappointed with the reef saver though. I'd say if you really want the tank up as quick as possible stay away from pukani.

I think pukani is a zen word that translates to "patience and hard work are rewarded."

Archived