Innovative Marine Aquariums

1000L mangrove + macroalgae islands

Nstocks

The condensation only occurs at night, when the windows are closed, so it must be the cold windows meeting the warmth of the aquarium?

Apparently dehumidifiers do work, but I'm not so sure!

If you dont want to get a dehumidifier yet, why not start with a fan in the room to keep the air circulating and see if that helps. Just dont point it directly at the tank.

The condensation only occurs at night, when the windows are closed, so it must be the cold windows meeting the warmth of the aquarium?

Apparently dehumidifiers do work, but I'm not so sure!

• 1 month later...

Tank has been taken down...

To be moved to a different position!

I have all of the fish and half of the LR in a 150L 4' holding tank and had planned to move them back within 7 days but due to unreliable suppliers, it may be longer. (small upgrades in the build...)

Anyway, half of the LR that has been heated, aerated in a dark Brute container is stinky. I'm wondering if there's any point in vinegar or bleach to make it look cleaner? Or just pressure wash it again.

If I want to get it all set up within 2 weeks, I'm slightly worried that this isn't enough time to leave it to rinse etc. Plus, being real reef rock, I could take away the purple coloration (paint) that I love.

• 2 months later...

So a lot has happened recently. Tank cracked!!!

The brace cracked, which is due to be replaced within the next 8 weeks...

I have all the livestock in the tank, which is just half full now.

I'm preparing the sand for when I put it back in, and debating wether to use hydrogen peroxide to remove any potential bound up phosphates. It's around £200 work of sand thatI'm not going to throw away. I've heard bleach is good but does nothing for PO4.

Any thoughts about cleaning sand? 

I've honestly never heard of using peroxide to rid sand of phosphate, but I'd suggest posting a thread about this issue in the General Forums, I think you might get better answers that way. 

Good luck!!

disaster999

I heard using hydrogen peroxide for the rocks, but not the sand, but the concept is the same so I cant see why it wouldnt work. I would suggest you get some heavy duty chemical resistant gloves and go in and stir up the sand a few times during your soak just to make sure the peroxide is doing its job and killing all organics throughout the sand and not just the top layer.

• 2 months later...

To clean the sand I ended up taking a huge koi pond air stone disc and using the pond air pump to create agitation. I place the air stone in a brute bin, added 10" of sand and left the hose pipe running. Within 10 minutes, the chalky water was crystal clear with no manual labor involved!

... I had already spent 20+ hours with various mesh strainers and sieves to rinse the sand but this air stone method worked incredibly well.

2 hours ago, Nstocks said:

To clean the sand I ended up taking a huge koi pond air stone disc and using the pond air pump to create agitation. I place the air stone in a brute bin, added 10" of sand and left the hose pipe running. Within 10 minutes, the chalky water was crystal clear with no manual labor involved!

... I had already spent 20+ hours with various mesh strainers and sieves to rinse the sand but this air stone method worked incredibly well.

Interesting.....