Cultivated Reef

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

KuruptPixel
35 minutes ago, zaitmi said:

Haha..yes ofcourse if you want to sell me urs on a good discount.;)

Here's my tank btw..

I will keep you posted on the lights! Haha

Tank looking good!

• Like 1
KuruptPixel
27 minutes ago, moosubi said:

I swapped from the Kessil to a NanoBox Duo I got used.  I can't decide which one I like better...  Not as nice of shimmer, but no harsh shadows, plus it runs at < 14% so I can get a more natural transition to low light.  And it looks pretty slick over the tank too!

Yeah I don't get the problem with the Apex not letting the lights run below 10%. The blues are on by then anyways so the transition isn't very drastic at all. Plus the moonlights even things out in the evenings. The NanoBox is on the radar for sure! I like that he does custom colours.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, KuruptPixel said:

Yeah I don't get the problem with the Apex not letting the lights run below 10%. The blues are on by then anyways so the transition isn't very drastic at all. Plus the moonlights even things out in the evenings. The NanoBox is on the radar for sure! I like that he does custom colours.

0-10v cable provides voltage and the Kessil requires a minimum voltage to run, so once it gets too low it just shuts off...  It was the biggest annoyance out of the light for me, but overall I was happy with it and would have stuck with it had this NB not show up on craigslist, lol.  They really are slick looking fixtures though.

• Like 1
KuruptPixel
12 hours ago, moosubi said:

0-10v cable provides voltage and the Kessil requires a minimum voltage to run, so once it gets too low it just shuts off...  It was the biggest annoyance out of the light for me, but overall I was happy with it and would have stuck with it had this NB not show up on craigslist, lol.  They really are slick looking fixtures though.

Good Reef stuff never shows up on Craigslist in Vancouver! Lame.

11 hours ago, zaitmi said:

Ok gr8 so you will be buying nanibox..wow man. Its btr thn kessil i think.

Haha I'll keep you posted.

KuruptPixel
54 minutes ago, moosubi said:

I'll just leave this here ;)  I was ready to pull the trigger on the black flaw when the CL one showed up.

2tHxY.gif

• Like 1
Nixperience
16 minutes ago, brianinak said:

I have been following your tank.  I am about set up reefer 170.  What salt are you using?  Your corals look great. 

His coral looks great, but he's also an unreal photographer. 

• Like 1
KuruptPixel
2 hours ago, brianinak said:

I have been following your tank.  I am about set up reefer 170.  What salt are you using?  Your corals look great. 

Thanks for following along! Oh man I am jealous! Good luck with it! I use Red Sea Coral Pro salt. 

2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

His coral looks great, but he's also an unreal photographer. 

Thanks a ton!! :lol:

• Like 1

I was initially planning on using RSCP, but am reconsidering b/c of the high alk.  did you start with RSCP?  With new tank set up and no corals initially I am considering something with lower alk.  Has your experience been with it.

KuruptPixel
KuruptPixel
12 minutes ago, brianinak said:

I was initially planning on using RSCP, but am reconsidering b/c of the high alk.  did you start with RSCP?  With new tank set up and no corals initially I am considering something with lower alk.  Has your experience been with it.

I have used it exclusively for the last few years. On average I have fairly low ALK so I tend to have to bump it every now and then. So that hasn't been an issue for me. I use Red Sea products whenever I can. I love them. I feel like they do a ton of research and have been leading this stuff for so long they have a good handle on how to do things right. I use their Coral Colors A, B, C, D, Reef Energy A, B, Reef Foundation A, B, C, NO3:P04-X, Coraline Grow, all my test kits and am just starting to try out their Reef Spec Carbon.  When I lay it all out there like that... I am a Red Sea whore. :)

hey thats a nice tail spot blenny...you wont believe i was dreaming of tail spot blenny today morning and you posted it bingo!!!.

All  your tank pics look very beautiful.

KuruptPixel
2 hours ago, zaitmi said:

hey thats a nice tail spot blenny...you wont believe i was dreaming of tail spot blenny today morning and you posted it bingo!!!.

All  your tank pics look very beautiful.

Thats interesting. What were you guys doing? Just hanging out? Were you tiny or was the Tail Spot giant? Or maybe like Master Blaster and he was just using you for your body to get around on? So many more questions man!

• Like 1
KuruptPixel
1 hour ago, first_ reef said:

Looking to Buy a reefer 170. Any room in the Sump for a Refugium?

I am planning to fit one in. Some people use an outside ATO source and use the ATO res it comes with as a refuge. Which is what I will end up doing I think. You could build a small one in the main chamber as well. I have been looking into one of those hang on fish trap kinda containers to hang on the inside of the sump...

This kind of beast is always an option as well. It seems to be trending for smaller tanks - 

http://www.jlaquatics.com/reef-crest-algae-reactor-package.html

SquishyFishy
8 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

I have used it exclusively for the last few years. On average I have fairly low ALK so I tend to have to bump it every now and then. So that hasn't been an issue for me. I use Red Sea products whenever I can. I love them. I feel like they do a ton of research and have been leading this stuff for so long they have a good handle on how to do things right. I use their Coral Colors A, B, C, D, Reef Energy A, B, Reef Foundation A, B, C, NO3:P04-X, Coraline Grow, all my test kits and am just starting to try out their Reef Spec Carbon.  When I lay it all out there like that... I am a Red Sea whore. :)

Well, since you seem to be the expert on Red Sea....I just bought all the foundation stuff and Coral Colors.  My tank is 70 gals Red Sea Max.  I hate the formulas you have to go by to dose (just a dumb blonde I guess):wacko:.  Can you tell me what you dose all the Coral Colors and NOPOX and Coraline Grow...I have been practically guessing at it.

KuruptPixel
3 hours ago, SquishyFishy said:

Well, since you seem to be the expert on Red Sea....I just bought all the foundation stuff and Coral Colors.  My tank is 70 gals Red Sea Max.  I hate the formulas you have to go by to dose (just a dumb blonde I guess):wacko:.  Can you tell me what you dose all the Coral Colors and NOPOX and Coraline Grow...I have been practically guessing at it.

Certainly not an expert! I do my water changes on Wednesdays so by the weekend I do some dosing just to level out. It's not perfect and I honestly don't test for any of the trace elements. The tank eats a certain amount of all the major stuff so I assume, which may not be the best idea, that it's eating everything else up as well. Everything is growing and happy so it can't be THAT wrong!

On Saturdays I dose 1ml Coralline Grow, 1ml NO3:PO4-X, 1ml Coral Colors A & D (recommended not to use Colors B & C if using Coralline Grow). Then on Sundays I will mix up 6g of Reef Foundation and pour that in over the day. I might up that dose since everything is growing nice it's eating more.

I see most of this dosing as bonus elements. The tank gets what it needs from the water change. That's why I don't test all the tiny trace stuff. The Cal/Mag/Alk dip as the week goes on so I pull those up a bit but since I do a water change on a very regular basis I don't worry about it that much. I am thinking of doing a twice a week change once every 6 weeks or something maybe, just as a full replenish.

The point of this story... I mostly guess as well. You will be able to tell when the tanks not happy and hopefully, unless you super OD something, you can fix it.

6 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Thats interesting. What were you guys doing? Just hanging out? Were you tiny or was the Tail Spot giant? Or maybe like Master Blaster and he was just using you for your body to get around on? So many more questions man!

Hey hey no no i was just watching tank at a fish shop at some place.

SquishyFishy

Thx.  I guess I'm doing a little too much.  I usually do 5 ml of coralline grow around that same amt for the NoPoX too.  I do our 1/4 tank water change once every 2 weeks.  But I haven't been using any of the ABCD stuff.  Thx for the tip on not doing B&C