Pod Your Reef

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

Man, maybe I'm running my mp10's too high! Mine run about 35-55% all day on anti-sync reefcrest/lagoon/tidal swell and 20% constant speed at night when the lights are off. I have a ton of SPS though.

Hey if it's working! Mine ramp up to 55% one at a time. I run mine at 10% during the night.

Looks beautiful! Any updates on the refugium you mentioned?

Thanks! Nothing new on the refugium just yet. I actually havn't had time to get to the Kalk drip yet!

Well I ordered a second mp10, vectra m1 and a ecotech battery backup for mine :lol::lol::lol:

NIIIIICE work!!

• Like 1

How're you guys programming your MP10's? I cycle through the modes, currently it's purple, and then adjust the power with the knob. It sounds as though you guys have it cycling through different programs during the day. How's this done? Feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,

CH.

RIP Sebastian

How're you guys programming your MP10's? I cycle through the modes, currently it's purple, and then adjust the power with the knob. It sounds as though you guys have it cycling through different programs during the day. How's this done? Feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks,

CH.

This is done through the Reeflink using Ecosmart live.

This is done through the Reeflink using Ecosmart live.

Right, so all these guys have the Reeflink? Seems a lot of money just for this extra functionality. I have the Prime HD light so can't link that to it like I could if I had the Radeon. So it'd just be to control the 1 MP10 I have. Shame the Reeflink is needed for this. With the HD Prime I can work it all from an app on my phone without any extra hardware.

I use Apex Fusion. Sooooo much easier. However, the less expensive way would definitely be the Ecosmart Live/ReefLink option. If you don't plan on automating anything else then it'll work.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few snow days from work this week. Trust me, in Vancouver that's rare! Got some new shots!

Tank wise - I leveled out the CA, ALK and MAG and finally got the Kalk drip going a few weeks ago so everything is staying really stable. I have also noticed everything starting to grow again which is nice.

30754177703_9b2ec63137_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_002 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31563512115_673c6957c8_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_001 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31563506955_e7abb0260e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_003 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30722377714_e62cfb915b_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_004 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31525834466_9cbce72925_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_005 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30754167223_8171df3722_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_007 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

This Duncan just kills me. I can't get enough.

31525831806_2a2b82c04e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_008 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

• Like 2

The Clowns are doing well. Still not hosting anything so I am hoping they figure it out soon. The Snowflake is starting to roam around more and explore the Torch corals a bit so I am hoping that's a sign.

They cuddle together in the corner at night but I have noticed as the Snowflake tries to get comfy the Picasso nudges him away sometimes. It looks like he is annoying her haha. Recently the snowflake has had a bit of his top fin nipped into. It concerns me a bit but I am sure it's nothing to worry about. We'll see.

'Stripes' the Picasso

31563479555_25c82333cc_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_015 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

'Moo Cow' the Snowflake

30754165363_756bc29e48_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_014 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31563481395_bc0360aec4_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_012 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30754165983_217cf801d8_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_011 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

These were taken with just the Apex Moon Lights on.

31191360460_93bb9ae63a_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30754164213_0457f3bb07_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_017 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Also, I still have to get some shots of 'Snipes' the Tail Spot. He is hard to track down!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kurupt,

You've not posted for a while, how's the tank doing? I've had lots of ups and downs but learning all the time. My biggest "down" was on New Years Eve when the electric went off at my house and I was a short ferry crossing and a 5 hour drive away on an island in Scotland! By the time I could get somebody to go over there it'd been without power for 10 hours.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could let me know what you aim for parameter wise or point me in the direction of what you use to guide you on this. Everybody seems to have different ideas but, as we have the same tank and yours is thriving, it would be a big help to me if you could post this info. Ideally with a target and a limit either side before you take action to rectify.

Many thanks,

CH.

Hi Kurupt,

You've not posted for a while, how's the tank doing? I've had lots of ups and downs but learning all the time. My biggest "down" was on New Years Eve when the electric went off at my house and I was a short ferry crossing and a 5 hour drive away on an island in Scotland! By the time I could get somebody to go over there it'd been without power for 10 hours.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could let me know what you aim for parameter wise or point me in the direction of what you use to guide you on this. Everybody seems to have different ideas but, as we have the same tank and yours is thriving, it would be a big help to me if you could post this info. Ideally with a target and a limit either side before you take action to rectify.

Many thanks,

CH.

Hey! Sorry for the lack of posts! Jan has been non stop work so far!

Sorry to hear about your tank! I hope it didn't go downhill too badly. It'll rebound! I have a building power outage coming up so they can work on the generator so I have to hook up a battery back up for the day... hopefully.

Honestly, I am a little slack when it comes to parameters. I base most of my reactions on how the tank is actually doing. You know your tank so if something is off you will probably notice it by closed/unhappy corals or algae and what not. Here are my current params:

ALK - 8.4 (I like to keep it between 7.9 - 8.8 but it usually pretty solid at 8.4)

CAL - 400 - 420

MAG - 1250 - 1300

NITRATE - Is a bit high at the moment and I am working out some ideas to fit in a small refugium for some chaeto.

My ALK was low for a long time so I tried the Baking Soda thing and it worked amazingly.

If my CAL and MAG starts dropping I stir up and drip some Red Sea Reef Foundation to bring it up. I do have a Kalk drip and I have found it does the job and keeps it's all level. I also do 6G water changes every week which obviously keeps everything happy.

I am not sure if this helps haha. Let me know how your tank is doing!

Hi Kurupt,

Many thanks,

CH.

I also threw together a short video a week ago about my Nano build. Check it out on my channel -

https://www.youtube.com/c/Salttanksociety

• Like 1

Hi Kurupt,

Thanks for the response. All information supplied is extremely useful to me. I will aim for the same parameters. My calcium has been stable at 400 for months. Mag dropped to 1260 but I'm bringing that up with water changes. Now at 1290 and will do a few water changes this week so hope that'll stabalize at 1300. My alkalinity has been stable at 10.2 - 10.5. Is this too high?

All seems okay after the power outage. I was having issues before with corals but all in all I'm getting mixed signals from them. Candy Canes we're dying off before NYE and I thought I'd lost them but now they're making a comeback. Xenia frag, which only had a couple of heads when bought, is now 6-7 heads and huge. Acans has been sulky for weeks now but I think it could be the Xenia taking its light so have moved it and started direct feeding it with a syringe today and will do so every week. Hammer is all but dead however this could be due to temp drop during power outage or because my sand sifter dumps,sand on it all the time. Maybe a combination of them both.

I put some Chaeto into my sump a few weeks ago. It's doing fine but clogs up my skimmer and reactor pumps so I've ordered some egg crate and will make a little compartment with that. I also have a couple of small peices of live rock in the sump originally put in there to start the cycle off but I really need to move them out now I think. There's so much life on them though that it may have severe affect on the tank?!?! Maybe I'll put them in the egg crate box with the chaeto.

Subscribed to your channel. Look forward to seeing future vlogs. Noticed your living in Vancouver. I used to live there when I was a kid. Really nice place as I remember it.

Thanks,

CH.

Hi Kurupt,

Thanks for the response. All information supplied is extremely useful to me. I will aim for the same parameters. My calcium has been stable at 400 for months. Mag dropped to 1260 but I'm bringing that up with water changes. Now at 1290 and will do a few water changes this week so hope that'll stabalize at 1300. My alkalinity has been stable at 10.2 - 10.5. Is this too high?

All seems okay after the power outage. I was having issues before with corals but all in all I'm getting mixed signals from them. Candy Canes we're dying off before NYE and I thought I'd lost them but now they're making a comeback. Xenia frag, which only had a couple of heads when bought, is now 6-7 heads and huge. Acans has been sulky for weeks now but I think it could be the Xenia taking its light so have moved it and started direct feeding it with a syringe today and will do so every week. Hammer is all but dead however this could be due to temp drop during power outage or because my sand sifter dumps,sand on it all the time. Maybe a combination of them both.

I put some Chaeto into my sump a few weeks ago. It's doing fine but clogs up my skimmer and reactor pumps so I've ordered some egg crate and will make a little compartment with that. I also have a couple of small peices of live rock in the sump originally put in there to start the cycle off but I really need to move them out now I think. There's so much life on them though that it may have severe affect on the tank?!?! Maybe I'll put them in the egg crate box with the chaeto.

Subscribed to your channel. Look forward to seeing future vlogs. Noticed your living in Vancouver. I used to live there when I was a kid. Really nice place as I remember it.

Thanks,

CH.

You just put the chaeto straight up in the sump?! Nice. I am trying to figure out a plan to pipe in a refugium but it's getting so tight in there. I might remove the ATO reso for an external container and throw some chaeto in the first chamber since it'll have good flow. Do you have lights on it? I have LED pucks in the cabinet but I'm not sure how they will work growing chaeto.

I have 14 Marine Pure spheres and 2 plates now. I removed the rock rubble just because it was catching too much debris. I thought the same thing when I pulled it out but it turned out ok. Maybe just removes bits at a time in case it spikes anything fast.

I am hoping to have a new video by the weekend! That's cool you used to live here! It's an amazing place... just VERY expensive at the moment haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tank Kurupt. I ordered mine yesterday, what do you think about using a vectra m1 for return? Obviously it would have to be set super low, but I am mainly considering due to how many people praise it for its silence. If not a vectra, do you have any experience with other pumps that are DC, and dead silent?

Awesome tank Kurupt. I ordered mine yesterday, what do you think about using a vectra m1 for return? Obviously it would have to be set super low, but I am mainly considering due to how many people praise it for its silence. If not a vectra, do you have any experience with other pumps that are DC, and dead silent?

I've seen lots of 170's builds that use the M1. The nano and the 170 both recommend the same gph so Id imagine it would work just fine.

Great build BTW! :)

• Like 1

I've seen lots of 170's builds that use the M1. The nano and the 170 both recommend the same gph so Id imagine it would work just fine.

Great build BTW! :)

Ok thanks will go with vectra then

Yeah I believe the Nano and 170 actually have the same sump. I am thinking about getting a Vectra myself actually. The Sicce Silent I have in there now is pretty quiet. The tank is in our bedroom! It's very hard to hear so I have never really thought about it. Let me know how you like it though!

Kurupt. I see some salt creep on your aquabus already, what kind of heat and how much salt creep inside of stand? I'm hoping to run a GHL p4 with doser. Scared about putting inside of stand. Thinking I'll have to buy a little IKEA stand to house all electronics.

Will do! Kessil 160 with gooseneck and adaptor, vectra, and two mp10s in the mail. Have 40lbs dry rock and plenty of sand ready to go.

Nice work!!

Kurupt. I see some salt creep on your aquabus already, what kind of heat and how much salt creep inside of stand? I'm hoping to run a GHL p4 with doser. Scared about putting inside of stand. Thinking I'll have to buy a little IKEA stand to house all electronics.

Creep? Are you seeing it in the video or something? It's just the lighting maybe. There is very little to no salt creep in the cabinet actually. The only creep I get is a tiny bit creeping up the cords near the surface. And even that is VERY minimal. There is certainly none up in any of the boxes. It doesn't even form on the probes.

I have the Ice Cap fan in there that goes on if it gets a bit toasty but even in mid summer and it was pretty hot, with the fan going it stayed down and kept the air flowing. Even humidity wise there is little inside, if any. I also live in Vancouver, BC so it's not a super humid place in general. I have never had a creep issue down there nor any condensation drips or anything. Maybe I have been lucky!

I will more than likely do the same thing with an outside stand though in the Spring when I go on Hiatus and have tons of free time haha. I want to get a cabinet for the side to throw all the boxes into and also an outside, bigger ATO... only so it frees up room inside so I can work out my refugium ideas.

Here are some pics I took tonight of the cabinet... no creep!

32095127743_2b10e508c1_o.jpgFebruary 2017 inside cabinet. by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

32756227702_fd7c749376_o.jpgFebruary 2017 inside cabinet. by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

32909949605_35279827b2_o.jpgFebruary 2017 inside cabinet. by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

32909950785_ec324a232c_o.jpgFebruary 2017 inside cabinet. by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

And I am not even joking when I say I literally NEVER wipe anything down in there. That's how it has been for almost the year since it has been running. The only splashy part is the inside of the glass. So it's been pretty good.

And another video! (New but Dec footage)

I'm reallly thankful for your build thread. I've been a long time reef enthusiast and I recently moved which will allow me to have a tank again. I've been doing a lot of homework on which tank to get and I want to start with something small, but I really want the sump setup, which is why I landed on Red Sea Reefer Nano. Before I made the purchase, I really wanted to read about other reefers' experience with it and to be honest, your thread is the only one that is high quality, great pictures (the video is awesome too), and great conversation on important topics (ex: which return pump to use). So first, thank you for this and your tank is awesome. I have a couple of questions I was curious of your opinion on when you have time:

• Ideally I'd like to setup a mini refugium in my sump. I think the only challenge is having real estate and that comes down to the skimmer. Do you think if you had a smaller skimmer that you'd have room for a small refugium? Do you think your current skimmer is perfect or would you change something if you could?
  • I intend to do the Sicce 2.0 for my return, Neo-therm 75W, AquaIllumination Hydra TwentySix LED fixture, MP10 w/ wireless driver and ReefLink controller (sounds like I might need two to avoid dead spots though), I'm undecided on the skimmer (your previous answer will probably dictate that), and I'm thinking through what controller to get (I'm thinking it might be overkill if I have the ReefLink plus and my lights are controllable). Anything you see that doesn't look "right" in that list?
  • Plumbing is my biggest weakness. The Sicce 2.0 has a 3/4 inch outlet, does that mean I want 3/4 inch tubing and 3/4 inch clamps or am I making it more simple than it actually is?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for this great tank thread.

• Like 1
On 12/10/2016 at 10:04 PM, KuruptPixel said:

I had a few snow days from work this week. Trust me, in Vancouver that's rare! Got some new shots!

Tank wise - I leveled out the CA, ALK and MAG and finally got the Kalk drip going a few weeks ago so everything is staying really stable. I have also noticed everything starting to grow again which is nice.

30754177703_9b2ec63137_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_002 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31563512115_673c6957c8_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_001 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31563506955_e7abb0260e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_003 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30722377714_e62cfb915b_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_004 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

31525834466_9cbce72925_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_005 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30754167223_8171df3722_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_007 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

This Duncan just kills me. I can't get enough.

31525831806_2a2b82c04e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_Dec2016_008 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

These are such sharp macro shots, especially of that Duncan!  What kind of lens are you using? 

9 hours ago, demeyer2 said:

I'm reallly thankful for your build thread. I've been a long time reef enthusiast and I recently moved which will allow me to have a tank again. I've been doing a lot of homework on which tank to get and I want to start with something small, but I really want the sump setup, which is why I landed on Red Sea Reefer Nano. Before I made the purchase, I really wanted to read about other reefers' experience with it and to be honest, your thread is the only one that is high quality, great pictures (the video is awesome too), and great conversation on important topics (ex: which return pump to use). So first, thank you for this and your tank is awesome. I have a couple of questions I was curious of your opinion on when you have time:

• Ideally I'd like to setup a mini refugium in my sump. I think the only challenge is having real estate and that comes down to the skimmer. Do you think if you had a smaller skimmer that you'd have room for a small refugium? Do you think your current skimmer is perfect or would you change something if you could?
  • I intend to do the Sicce 2.0 for my return, Neo-therm 75W, AquaIllumination Hydra TwentySix LED fixture, MP10 w/ wireless driver and ReefLink controller (sounds like I might need two to avoid dead spots though), I'm undecided on the skimmer (your previous answer will probably dictate that), and I'm thinking through what controller to get (I'm thinking it might be overkill if I have the ReefLink plus and my lights are controllable). Anything you see that doesn't look "right" in that list?
  • Plumbing is my biggest weakness. The Sicce 2.0 has a 3/4 inch outlet, does that mean I want 3/4 inch tubing and 3/4 inch clamps or am I making it more simple than it actually is?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks again for this great tank thread.

Hey! Thanks a lot! I am glad it's been useful to you. I found when I was looking at the Reefer Nano there really wasn't much on it build wise. I was hoping to put as much info in here as I went along because I crept these forums for years before I dove in as well!

- Skimmer wise - I think the Curve 5 is pretty much the smallest in the Bubble Magus line. There is a C3.5 but it's footprint isn't much smaller. Obviously there are other brands but I imagine unless you get one of those hang on kinda skimmers they are probably a similar footprint. I love this Curve 5 and it's been a beast since I got it.

- I don't think you necessarily NEED two MP10's. I did two just because I wanted more of a wave motion and I have one low and one higher in the tank to spread the current. You can definitely get away with one. Mine only run about 40% each at one time. It was mostly the designer in me that couldn't stand the uneven side without one haha.

- Honestly, I know it's the more expensive option, but I would HIGHLY recommend the Apex. It's amazing and links everything together so nice. Something to think about before you get a ReefLink. I control everything (2 nano pumps in the sump, skimmer, 2 MP10s, GFO/Carbon reactor, Kessil, Heater and fan) all from the Apex. Before I got it I had to label all the wires, pull plugs or switch things off in sequence for feeding or water changes. Now it's one button and then it turns itself back on as you code it. So nice. It took me a while to grasp the initial purchase because I  couldn't imagine really needing it, like it was just a tech thing to have. FULLY WORTH IT THOUGH! But mostly, very, very useful.

- I am pretty sure the return tube it comes with is 3/4". I threw together an adapter with a ball valve so I could control the flow. It's always on full though so it's totally not necessary if you are getting the same pump. I just wanted the option. You should be pretty much plug and play.

Good luck and update us on how it goes!

5 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

These are such sharp macro shots, especially of that Duncan!  What kind of lens are you using? 

Thanks a lot! It's just a Canon 18-135 lens. Nothing crazy! I'll be picking up a proper macro lens... so beware haha.