inTank Media Baskets

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

On 8/24/2017 at 7:44 AM, moosubi said:

Nice!  How are you liking the loc-line returns?

I love them! The return pump may not be as powerful as it needs to be since it's now being split but it's certainly ok. The snail issue was HUGE! This tank is in our bedroom so when a snail, literally EVERY NIGHT AT 2am, would block the stock output it would gurgle and pop and wake us up. I have found that if the wife is ok with the limited sound and I keep all my tools and goodies in my own area she is very much cool with the tank haha. If it becomes loud and wakes us up it'll be an uphill battle!

8 hours ago, mtmurphy85 said:

So in regards to your skimmer I noticed it's on egg crate is that to raise it in the sump or was it to hide your marine pure plate? Or would the skimmer work without it being on the egg crate.  The only reason I'm asking I'm looking at replacing my skimz sn123 and getting he BMC5

I actually only did that the first day. I removed the egg crate right away because it was just too high in the water. It has just been sitting on the bottom ever since. I did build the box to elevate the skimmer and put the Marine Pure spheres in to get them out of the way though. I think the skimmer requires at least 8" of depth as well which I didn't realize until later because the instructions are in kinda terrible broken english!

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lynton said:

Just read the whole thread, (I have same tank) your tank and photos skills are ??..... subbed 

I am honored you 'Netflixed' my thread! haha Thanks! Good luck with your tank! Do you have a build thread? Send me the link!

17 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

I am honored you 'Netflixed' my thread! haha Thanks! Good luck with your tank! Do you have a build thread? Send me the link!

Lol watched vids of YouTube aswell... I don't no how to make a tank thread ??‍♂️... technology isn't my strong point ???

I did something stupid. I went to my LFS without a plan. It's like browsing Amazon drunk and getting strange packages 2 days later you don't remember ordering... which, oddly enough, I dealt with today at the office. I knew drinking spiced rum on a Sunday morning was gonna come back to bite me.

Anyways, I have been talking about this for MONTHS and trying to plan out a great way to do it... so I figured I'd buy what I needed to get started and just get it home. Figure it out later!

I picked up a fuge light and small ball of chaeto! I am actually very excited about this! This was my dream! Grow some chaeto like the big kids!

37077698185_f91b023892_b.jpg

36242368944_c1e326cc97_b.jpg

37077697755_9ed2480246_b.jpg

The light fits perfectly on the side of the sump. I didn't think about what to put the chaeto in so it doesn't blow all over and clog things up so I grabbed a glass jar I got from BRS for kalk drip I had lying around and it might work. It's lower than the water level so that is good. It won't get any flow into it though which might be a problem. I have seen fuge's where the chaeto isn't blasted and they seem to do ok. I am looking at this as a temp placement right now unless everything goes ok.

36242368264_80e11754fd_b.jpg

36936119821_52af32beee_b.jpg

I have higher than I'd like nitrates and even though everything is growing and open and I have had no real issues with anything I would really like to get them down with out dosing a bunch of stuff everyday. So I am hoping this works!

I'll have a bubbling update soon as well!

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, KuruptPixel said:

I did something stupid. I went to my LFS without a plan. It's like browsing Amazon drunk and getting strange packages 2 days later you don't remember ordering... which, oddly enough, I dealt with today at the office. I knew drinking spiced rum on a Sunday morning was gonna come back to bite me.

Anyways, I have been talking about this for MONTHS and trying to plan out a great way to do it... so I figured I'd buy what I needed to get started and just get it home. Figure it out later!

I picked up a fuge light and small ball of chaeto! I am actually very excited about this! This was my dream! Grow some chaeto like the big kids!

The light fits perfectly on the side of the sump. I didn't think about what to put the chaeto in so it doesn't blow all over and clog things up so I grabbed a glass jar I got from BRS for kalk drip I had lying around and it might work. It's lower than the water level so that is good. It won't get any flow into it though which might be a problem. I have seen fuge's where the chaeto isn't blasted and they seem to do ok. I am looking at this as a temp placement right now unless everything goes ok.

I have higher than I'd like nitrates and even though everything is growing and open and I have had no real issues with anything I would really like to get them down with out dosing a bunch of stuff everyday. So I am hoping this works!

Looks like your off to a good start, was looking at this light also my future fuge build, will def keeping an eye on the growth and how well it works good luck ?

51 minutes ago, KuruptPixel said:

Beautiful tank. I haven't had enough time to go through it all, but just saw this fuge post.

I am actually going to use the ATO topoff reservoir as a fuge, and to give it some flow I'm T'ing off the flow on one of my returns into the bottom of it, so that the flow will travel from the bottom to the top and over. You probably have some return that you can t off!

4 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Hi , ive been following your tread for a while , i also have a red sea reefer nano that i started. your thread has been an inspiration.

just a note the light might cause coraline to grow in your skimmer, many of the forums recommend blocking the light from the skimmer.

9 hours ago, kinetic said:

Beautiful tank. I haven't had enough time to go through it all, but just saw this fuge post.

I am actually going to use the ATO topoff reservoir as a fuge, and to give it some flow I'm T'ing off the flow on one of my returns into the bottom of it, so that the flow will travel from the bottom to the top and over. You probably have some return that you can t off!

I have been playing with ideas to use the stock ATO container for a long time but I couldn't think of anything good without drilling or having an intake and output hanging in it taking up space. My return is soft hose right now so I'd have to rebuild a few things. I am moving in the next few months so when the tank comes down I will build a proper manifold anyways so I can run a few different things off it. It will turn into a frag tank anyways since I will be building a new, bigger tank for the new house... obviously! The whole point of moving!

That's an interesting idea. Are you drilling the ATO or run a pipe up and in? And with the water just flowing over the edge that will get real messy real quick no?

6 hours ago, scoobpower said:

Hi , ive been following your tread for a while , i also have a red sea reefer nano that i started. your thread has been an inspiration.

just a note the light might cause coraline to grow in your skimmer, many of the forums recommend blocking the light from the skimmer.

Hi! Thanks!

That's a concern right now for sure since the light is just hitting the sump in general. I will figure something out. It'll only run a few hours a night right now anyways so it should be ok for now.

On 9/7/2017 at 8:53 AM, KuruptPixel said:

I have been playing with ideas to use the stock ATO container for a long time but I couldn't think of anything good without drilling or having an intake and output hanging in it taking up space. My return is soft hose right now so I'd have to rebuild a few things. I am moving in the next few months so when the tank comes down I will build a proper manifold anyways so I can run a few different things off it. It will turn into a frag tank anyways since I will be building a new, bigger tank for the new house... obviously! The whole point of moving!

That's an interesting idea. Are you drilling the ATO or run a pipe up and in? And with the water just flowing over the edge that will get real messy real quick no?

Hi! Thanks!

That's a concern right now for sure since the light is just hitting the sump in general. I will figure something out. It'll only run a few hours a night right now anyways so it should be ok for now.

I'm not drilling the glass at all. It fits under the water line just enough. So I just have the flow output towards the bottom of the container, so it'll flow up and over the top. Not messy at all. The reservoir fits perfectly next to my skimmer.

38 minutes ago, kinetic said:

I'm not drilling the glass at all. It fits under the water line just enough. So I just have the flow output towards the bottom of the container, so it'll flow up and over the top. Not messy at all. The reservoir fits perfectly next to my skimmer.

Oohhh so you are moving the ATO down into the water!? I thought you meant leaving it in it's original spot out of the water and letting the water run over and down!

So that's what I have now with the jar I am using minus flow inside. I have a plan now to use the ATO.

I am gonna drill the top of the ATO container, paint out 3 sides to stop light spread, and run a reactor pump up from the first chamber to fill it. I am getting the Apex auto top off and will have an outside container for that so it's completely out of the way. Hopefully a weekend project!

I'm planing something similar when I add the vectra s1 but I plan on running off the return line into one of those new algae reactor and maybe even reconnecting my brs reactor too but for space issues I my get rid of my ato and just run the tunze ato, this is still in the early planing phase 

3 hours ago, mtmurphy85 said:

I'm planing something similar when I add the vectra s1 but I plan on running off the return line into one of those new algae reactor and maybe even reconnecting my brs reactor too but for space issues I my get rid of my ato and just run the tunze ato, this is still in the early planing phase 

This was my first tank with a sump and I never thought about cutting the plumbing and doing my own thing. A year and a half later I feel better about it! I will be moving in the next few months so I am kinda in shut down mode with the tank... because I am planning the bigger one for the new house! I will still run this but since I have it all taken down for the move I will definitely be adding a manifold I can run stuff off and use it as a proper quarantine tank. I am also eyeing the S1 but I may just save it for the next tank.

On the ATO//Refugium front - I could not find a diamond drill bit in the size I need anywhere in the city so I have had to order one which means, even on Amazon, I won't get it for a few days :( I am off to LA early next week so it'll be almost 2 weeks before I can even get to this now! Ah well. I did get all the plumbing I need though!

On 9/10/2017 at 0:29 AM, KuruptPixel said:

This was my first tank with a sump and I never thought about cutting the plumbing and doing my own thing. A year and a half later I feel better about it! I will be moving in the next few months so I am kinda in shut down mode with the tank... because I am planning the bigger one for the new house! I will still run this but since I have it all taken down for the move I will definitely be adding a manifold I can run stuff off and use it as a proper quarantine tank. I am also eyeing the S1 but I may just save it for the next tank.

On the ATO//Refugium front - I could not find a diamond drill bit in the size I need anywhere in the city so I have had to order one which means, even on Amazon, I won't get it for a few days :( I am off to LA early next week so it'll be almost 2 weeks before I can even get to this now! Ah well. I did get all the plumbing I need though!

Very nice.  I made a 1/4" acrylic box the same size as the stock ato instead of drilling the ato (works for resale, lol).  The manifold off the return pump was super quick and easy (just a T fitting with a 1/2" barb) and I run silicone to the new drilled container.  Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

• 2 weeks later...

Back from LA so I can get back to REEFING! Is it sad I miss my tank so much?! ;) I might be asking the wrong crowd!

My diamond hole saw came while I was away so I plan to tackle this beast on the weekend. Finally.

Also, check out my article on building a water station with limited space in the library - DIY Projects section - hot off the press!

• Like 1

The Fuge is built and fully operational! Everything seems great so far.

37274718136_3e0b28c388_b.jpg

36612326264_2f57bace7f_b.jpg

37321913981_ff649d1793_b.jpg

36612325044_a5543f3372_b.jpg

I'm using my Reef Octopus pump and green pipe from my reactor I discontinued for the input. Half inch PVC for the way out with a low profile strainer. Fuge light on the front panel. I painted all the sides and bottom black and then white just so it matched the cabinet but kept the light out.

Right now I have the outlet going down into the last baffle with the thought of eventual pods skipping the skimmer but I'm wondering now if it's skipping too much filtration since it gets picked up in the first chamber and just goes straight back into the return chamber. Now skipping the sock, pads and skimmer. The flow in and out is light so I am not too concerned though.

I also know this is tiny and really won't matter much in the way of export but we'll see. I just wanted to build it! Stop yelling at me!

• Like 4
On 26/09/2017 at 4:38 AM, KuruptPixel said:

The Fuge is built and fully operational! Everything seems great so far.

37274718136_3e0b28c388_b.jpg

36612326264_2f57bace7f_b.jpg

37321913981_ff649d1793_b.jpg

36612325044_a5543f3372_b.jpg

I'm using my Reef Octopus pump and green pipe from my reactor I discontinued for the input. Half inch PVC for the way out with a low profile strainer. Fuge light on the front panel. I painted all the sides and bottom black and then white just so it matched the cabinet but kept the light out.

Right now I have the outlet going down into the last baffle with the thought of eventual pods skipping the skimmer but I'm wondering now if it's skipping too much filtration since it gets picked up in the first chamber and just goes straight back into the return chamber. Now skipping the sock, pads and skimmer. The flow in and out is light so I am not too concerned though.

I also know this is tiny and really won't matter much in the way of export but we'll see. I just wanted to build it! Stop yelling at me!

Looks great,  wanna come do mine? ? As long as it keeps ur no3/no4 in check then it's win win. Def wanna do this with mine at some point

9 hours ago, Lynton said:

Looks great,  wanna come do mine? ? As long as it keeps ur no3/no4 in check then it's win win. Def wanna do this with mine at some point

Haha sure! I'll just ship one your way! I think it will help and at the very least it will remove what a small bag of gfo would. I would imagine!

On 27/09/2017 at 11:54 PM, KuruptPixel said:

Haha sure! I'll just ship one your way! I think it will help and at the very least it will remove what a small bag of gfo would. I would imagine!

Haha deal!! How difficult was it to drill? I'm crap at diy that's why I work in a hospital, (caring hands ??)  

2 minutes ago, Lynton said:

Haha deal!! How difficult was it to drill? I'm crap at diy that's why I work in a hospital, (caring hands ??)  

It was WAY easier than I thought! Trust me - I have done visual effects all my life so imagine how soft and non-diy my hands are as well! Haha I will be putting together a video of it all soon. I have never drilled glass before so I was nervous but it went very smoothly. 

4 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

It was WAY easier than I thought! Trust me - I have done visual effects all my life so imagine how soft and non-diy my hands are as well! Haha I will be putting together a video of it all soon. I have never drilled glass before so I was nervous but it went very smoothly. 

Oh great look forward to to watching that for sure.. may find the courage to do mine after watching urs ?

• 1 month later...