Pod Your Reef

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

​Hi there,

I purchased the RSR Nano a few weeks ago and currently on day 7 of a fishless cycle. It's my first saltwater tank so I'm taking things real slow so I can get used to the equipment and ensure everything is perfect before adding livestock. I've read your thread from beginning to end so thanks for sharing your experience. It's been a valuable source of information for me.

I have a quick question re. your sump. I noticed last night that the section that houses the return pump has absolutely no water movement at all on the surface and the surface looks dirty. There's obviously water movement underneath as the pump is working fine. Is yours the same as this?

I don't really see how it's possible to stop this happening as I turned the pump onto full power and adjusted the return valve accordingly and once the water level returned to "normal" there was no surface movement again. Should I be concerned with this? I'm concerned that the water will go stagnant after a while.

Also, the triangular piece of glass that holds the ATU ball valve is continuously wet. Do you have the same issue and, if so, do you have any idea where this is coming from? I can't tell if it's a really slow leak on the ATU ball valve or tube or if it's from the condensation that builds up on the ATU tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

CH.

Hi! Thanks for following! I was just gonna do some updates today.

I found the same thing in the sump and didn't like how dead the entire thing was. I picked a couple small Hydor Koralia 425's. I put one in the return chamber and one in the main chamber beside the skimmer. I also had a couple Hydor 420's sitting around so I put one in the first chamber just to keep that moving as well. It has helped a ton and I find there is WAY less debris down there now.

ATO wise - I removed the valve. I actually cut the drip cord and now just dial it up or down when needed. I find it way less messy. I am probably gonna do a separate ATO container with a Tunze at some point but with winter coming I'm less concerned with having to fill it up all the time. The evaporation is much less these days.

I will grab some pics of of the sump tonight to show you!

Good luck with your tank!

• Like 2

Some new additions to the tank last night! One Green Bubbletip. One Rose Bubbletip. Both pretty small. I asked for one of each and while they were hanging out getting used to the new drip I noticed a couple more mouths. This morning they were wandering all over... all FIVE of them! So it was a great deal. 5 for the price of 2!

30334469631_c2c449ec9d_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30384541956_3142b465c7_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Tank wise everything is running great. I haven't been home a lot the last few weeks so it's basically just been on auto pilot and doing great. It's nice to just check in on Fusion to make sure everything is still on.

• Like 3

Very nice! I like it. One day I'll join the RS club with the reefer 170.

Thanks! These things are pretty clean I must say. We are in the process of buying a house... which means I can out grow this Nano apartment tank haha. I'm not sure if it's sad but the first thing I look for is where a new tank can go and how big of a fish room I can have or how far it'll be plumbed. The wife can request anything else!

That is quite the deal... what camera are you using for the macro shots?

Thanks. For pretty much all of these I am just using my Samsung 6 Edge. I have a Cannon DSLR but it takes so long to set up and unload photos now haha. I can just post all these from bed at the end of the day!

• Like 2

Looks like the colours are pretty decent with the cell shots.

Yeah in the Pro mode you can adjust a lot but it's still tough to get the blues out like I can in Photoshop if I edit them properly.

Yeah in the Pro mode you can adjust a lot but it's still tough to get the blues out like I can in Photoshop if I edit them properly.

That's LEDs for you, the tank looks great though.

• Like 1

Some random pics from last night...

29790060604_e745933a24_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30334453871_e76b43acea_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30420742505_e1e417f939_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30420746865_60d856791f_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29789014223_66721818f4_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30304019352_c1c1a2defd_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30420753565_b4a0cd4895_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Kinda... sorta... FTS Oct 2016

29789017143_9d7e0e60a5_o.jpgOctober 2016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

• Like 7
North Borders

Do

I found the same thing in the sump and didn't like how dead the entire thing was. I picked a couple small Hydor Koralia 425's. I put one in the return chamber and one in the main chamber beside the skimmer. I also had a couple Hydor 420's sitting around so I put one in the first chamber just to keep that moving as well. It has helped a ton and I find there is WAY less debris down there now.

ATO wise - I removed the valve. I actually cut the drip cord and now just dial it up or down when needed. I find it way less messy. I am probably gonna do a separate ATO container with a Tunze at some point but with winter coming I'm less concerned with having to fill it up all the time. The evaporation is much less these days.

Do you have any pics of your sump? You have me interested now in mounting some pumps for circulation. :)

Do

Do you have any pics of your sump? You have me interested now in mounting some pumps for circulation. :)

So you can kinda see the Hydor 425 down in the left corner. This is obviously the main section.

29818425913_70f0f2f78a_o.jpg20161020_073104 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I have this 425 in the top right there, under the triangle the ATO float is usually on.

30364334601_5f291a3486_o.jpg20161020_073031 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

And a fuller sump shot. It's a bit messy right now because I have the two MarinePure plates building up so I can put them in the frag tank.

30414290936_3ef3491c1b_o.jpg20161020_073055 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

MarinePure spheres in this drop down working nicely.

30451124165_296b9a4c28_o.jpg20161020_073141 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Hope this helps!

In the next week or so I want to change the sump up a bit. I am working out a plan for a small refugium...

North Borders

Thanks! Your sump is so much cleaner than mine haha. Where do you put your heater? I didn't see it in any of those pics? Or, on second glance it looks like it's in your return pump compartment? I run mine in my skimmer chamber. Have you had pretty good luck having it over there?

Thanks! Your sump is so much cleaner than mine haha. Where do you put your heater? I didn't see it in any of those pics? Or, on second glance it looks like it's in your return pump compartment? I run mine in my skimmer chamber. Have you had pretty good luck having it over there?

I actually just recently moved the heater into the return chamber. I had it in the skim chamber and it was fine but I have found the temp is way more stable in the return. I use a Neo-Therm though and this thing is amazing anyways. It always keeps the temp within .2-.5 degrees on the dot. It's crazy. Basically zero temp swings.

How do you like the Marine Pure balls? My filter foam is getting a little gross after a year and a half in the tank...

I love the MarinePure spheres and plates mostly because of the size and actual surface area you get. I have 14 spheres and 2 plates - which in theory is about 15,000 sq ft of surface area. I can't really say one way or another how the stack up to anything else because it's what I have used but I havn't had any issues with them and everything is running smoothly. My only beef with them is they are fairly soft so you have to be careful when handling them.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I can get the Hydor or similar here in UK so think I'll put one in the return chamber to help with flow and keep it clean in there as you've done. May get another for skimmer chamber in the future. Glad it's not just me with that issue and great idea to use the nano powerheads, thanks.

I was thinking about a Tunze too but can't decide between the single sensor version, which they say is perfect for Nano aquariums, or the twin sensor. Need to read more and make a decision.

Cheers,

Mark

North Borders

I've been using a Tunze Osmolator Nano in my tank for about a year now and have been very happy with it. I run the sensor and the top off tube into the glass ATO container and have a large container off to the side of the tank that holds about 3 gallons of RODI.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I can get the Hydor or similar here in UK so think I'll put one in the return chamber to help with flow and keep it clean in there as you've done. May get another for skimmer chamber in the future. Glad it's not just me with that issue and great idea to use the nano powerheads, thanks.

I was thinking about a Tunze too but can't decide between the single sensor version, which they say is perfect for Nano aquariums, or the twin sensor. Need to read more and make a decision.

Cheers,

Mark

The Hydors are great because they are small and cheap. I havn't had an issue with any of mine dying and I have had two of those for over 3 years now.

I have only heard great things about both Tunze! I will probably go with the Universal one because of the redundancy. Having an optic sensor as well and the box to shut it down if it goes angry is nice piece of mind. It's also like $150 more though haha

I've been using a Tunze Osmolator Nano in my tank for about a year now and have been very happy with it. I run the sensor and the top off tube into the glass ATO container and have a large container off to the side of the tank that holds about 3 gallons of RODI.

Ahhh interesting! I never thought of that! So you still use the stock float into the tank then? Why not just dump the RODI straight in? My plan was to do the same thing only use the glass ATO as a refugium.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates -

Got my BRS package the other day. Got a couple Kalk drip kits, some OXO containers for them and a 5" mini reactor for my carbon and GFO.

Unfortunately, the OXO containers are glass and looked like this when they arrived! BRS is awesome and has obviously sent new ones my way. Being in Vancouver though it takes a lot longer since they only ship out on Fridays. Ah well!

30614581661_4383345f92_o.jpg20161028_122520 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Mini reactor put together and installed. I had some suction cups that fit the mount so it'll hang on the glass nicely. So far so good!

30070795874_93f372f422_o.jpg20161029_120908 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30614581161_0a927a31a8_o.jpg20161029_120918 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

And I know this may be obvious but I grabbed a few packs of these off Amazon for a few bucks each to run wires through. They are great! For any newbies like myself who may need some wire organisation!

30585903512_05587723fe_o.jpg20161029_121714 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

And some OCT2016 - full tank shots I guess -

30614573711_6dde227a9a_o.jpg20161030_210506 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30402696110_ea4fe77832_o.jpg20161030_210514 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

30585896232_bc305b0ea7_o.jpg20161030_210524 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

• Like 5

Great looking tank well done :)

Just setting one up myself in black.

I have a mp10w but like yourself and I'm considering getting another for dead spots.

Return pumps are a bit of an issue in my one.. I tried a jabeo / jecod dct4000 dialed back to minimum but it was an extremely noisy pump with a loud DC whine like a hair dryer.. So tried a DCT 2000 and it's the same :(

Currently have a jabeo dc1200 in there and it's a nice silent pump not like its bigger brothers.. but after say 1m head height it must only be about 500lph coming out the return nozzle into the tank... But maybe this lower flow could be ok if I have 2 x mp10s going at say 20-30x?

My main concerns with return pump is just keeping it super quiet.

once again.. nice tank!! :)

I have a mp10w but like yourself and I'm considering getting another for dead spots.

Return pumps are a bit of an issue in my one.. I tried a jabeo / jecod dct4000 dialed back to minimum but it was an extremely noisy pump with a loud DC whine like a hair dryer.. So tried a DCT 2000 and it's the same :(

Currently have a jabeo dc1200 in there and it's a nice silent pump not like its bigger brothers.. but after say 1m head height it must only be about 500lph coming out the return nozzle into the tank... But maybe this lower flow could be ok if I have 2 x mp10s going at say 20-30x?

Thanks!

I know having 2 MP10's in a small tank is very much overkill but they run at 10% for most of the day. I have the left one at about mid tank level and the right one near the top of the tank so it breaks the surface sometimes. I have them alternate through out the day in long cycles and the different placement hit's the entire tank. At 8pm every night they both crank up a bit more on a short pulse to kind of flush out everything before bedtime.

I have a Sicce Silent 2.0 as my return and it works great. I did switch it up to a Sicce Silent 3.5 at one point to see how that worked but even with the ball valve it was too strong, and louder with more heat. I switched it back to the 2.0. I am going to grab an Ecotech Vectra at some point because it would be way quieter than even the 2.0.

I also grabbed some of those OXO silicone dish pads BRS talks about. I snipped them up and put a slab under the pump and it kills most vibration as well. You should try that as well.

Good luck with your build as well!

• Like 1

Hi there,

The OXO dish pads. Do you mean these: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Square-Drying/dp/B002UTG7WY

Thanks,

CH

North Borders

Thanks!

I know having 2 MP10's in a small tank is very much overkill but they run at 10% for most of the day. I have the left one at about mid tank level and the right one near the top of the tank so it breaks the surface sometimes. I have them alternate through out the day in long cycles and the different placement hit's the entire tank. At 8pm every night they both crank up a bit more on a short pulse to kind of flush out everything before bedtime.

I have a Sicce Silent 2.0 as my return and it works great. I did switch it up to a Sicce Silent 3.5 at one point to see how that worked but even with the ball valve it was too strong, and louder with more heat. I switched it back to the 2.0. I am going to grab an Ecotech Vectra at some point because it would be way quieter than even the 2.0.

I also grabbed some of those OXO silicone dish pads BRS talks about. I snipped them up and put a slab under the pump and it kills most vibration as well. You should try that as well.

Good luck with your build as well!

Man, maybe I'm running my mp10's too high! Mine run about 35-55% all day on anti-sync reefcrest/lagoon/tidal swell and 20% constant speed at night when the lights are off. I have a ton of SPS though.

• Like 1