Coral Vue Hydros

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

KuruptPixel
7 hours ago, zaitmi said:

Hey hey no no i was just watching tank at a fish shop at some place.

Was the Tail Spot with you watching the tank? A human size fish watching other fish in tanks? Also, did it talk at all?

• Like 1
KuruptPixel
4 hours ago, SquishyFishy said:

Thx.  I guess I'm doing a little too much.  I usually do 5 ml of coralline grow around that same amt for the NoPoX too.  I do our 1/4 tank water change once every 2 weeks.  But I haven't been using any of the ABCD stuff.  Thx for the tip on not doing B&C

I don't think you'd overdose that. Like I said, unless all your corals are shriveled up and not looking happy you can't be doing that badly! Definitely check the Cal/Mag and dose those though. If you are doing changes every two weeks I'd bet the tank is consuming it. 

KuruptPixel
2 hours ago, William said:

I do 2ml of NOPOX, 3ml of foundation A and 10Ml of foundation B a day, I use the reef Forrest salt though and alk is around 8

How are you liking the Reef Forest? I have been waiting for some more info on it since it's so new. Wait, is it Reef Forest or Aquaforest?

2 hours ago, Nixperience said:

What do you use for photo editing: Lightroom or photoshop or both?

Just Photoshop. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

How are you liking the Reef Forest? I have been waiting for some more info on it since it's so new. Wait, is it Reef Forest or Aquaforest?

Just Photoshop. 

Aquaforrest lol.... and I'm still not sure tbh, the alk mixes way lower than I traditionally have my alk (~8). Prior to buying my box I used Red Sea Coral Pro, with an Alk of 11. 

KuruptPixel
3 hours ago, William said:

Aquaforrest lol.... and I'm still not sure tbh, the alk mixes way lower than I traditionally have my alk (~8). Prior to buying my box I used Red Sea Coral Pro, with an Alk of 11. 

I'm interested in how it does because that stuff is easier to find around here than Red Sea for some reason.

34566773974_72a8edc641_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_June2017_031 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Stripes.

35021970670_80b9f35595_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_June2017_033 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Moo Cow

34599522153_82a57df890_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_June2017_034 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

• Like 3
15 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Was the Tail Spot with you watching the tank? A human size fish watching other fish in tanks? Also, did it talk at all?

Hahaha..

KuruptPixel
3 hours ago, zaitmi said:

whats going on..nice video you made..how do you use turkey baster and do sand cleaning.

Just blast the rocks and crevasses with the turkey baster to get any uneaten food and debris into the water column so it can get to the sump, or in this case the outgoing water change. The gravel vacuum is easy it just sucks up the sand as the water is being removed. I use this one -

https://www.amazon.ca/Lighting-Gravel-Vacuum-Cleaner-Siphon/dp/B003QRMXHC/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1498757382&sr=1-8

• Like 1

what type of pump do you use to get from salt water reserve to tank?  I have thought about setting up the same way, I guess I am not sure head height is vertical or distance.  Guess any pump would move water horizontally. 

KuruptPixel
9 hours ago, brianinak said:

what type of pump do you use to get from salt water reserve to tank?  I have thought about setting up the same way, I guess I am not sure head height is vertical or distance.  Guess any pump would move water horizontally. 

I am using a Sicce Syncra 3.5 for the salt mixing/transfer. I live in downtown Vancouver so it' not like I am running tubes all around a house. I have about 10-12 feet of tube to reach the tank and I only crack the ball valve half way or it is so strong it blasts the sand. It's more pressure than I thought!

Ok thanks...

Hey man i ordered kessil a 80 for my 10 gallon nano, heard its a good light for soft corals.. but will it support bubbletip anemone?

KuruptPixel
22 hours ago, zaitmi said:

Ok thanks...

Hey man i ordered kessil a 80 for my 10 gallon nano, heard its a good light for soft corals.. but will it support bubbletip anemone?

I don't have any experience with the A80's but I am sure it's a great light! For a 10 gallon I'm sure it's more than enough as well.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So I thought I'd give this micro-bubble thing a try. It's cheap enough to at least give it a chance!

35827777253_cd350e2fd3_b.jpg20170808_193456 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35802036914_222b36d654_b.jpg20170808_194936 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

36240332190_bde2061e1d_b.jpg20170817_142626 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I bought this little pump and some 2" wooden diffusers. I have a bunch of random suction cups and holders from the past few years and found one that fit the air tube perfectly. I stuck it to the bottom of the sump in the return chamber, just under the pump so the bubbles go right into it. This one block produces way more bubbles than I would have thought! When I placed it anywhere else int he return chamber I found the bubbles just weren't making their way up.

I started them on for 30 mins from 11-11:30pm and then again from 4-4:30am. I didn't want to over dose everything with micro bubbles just in case it went bonanas! After a few minutes you can see WAY more stuff floating around the water column and into the sump. I was actually surprised. I had this run for 7 nights with no visible side effects. Corals were all open and happy and the glass was pretty clean, I didn't have to scrub it that week at all.

The only thing I noticed was the clowns seemed to be freaked out or confused about what was going on when the bubbles would start. Even though everything LOOKED clean and happy and the filter sock and sump were loading up WAY more - I think I am gonna run a bubble wave once a week or so, if that. More of a quick cleanse instead of running it every night.

However, I do enjoy the look of the tiny bubbles shimmering in the moonlight so... we'll see what happens. Basically this post is not helpful in any way. Sorry.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, KuruptPixel said:

So I thought I'd give this micro-bubble thing a try. It's cheap enough to at least give it a chance!

35827777253_cd350e2fd3_b.jpg20170808_193456 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35802036914_222b36d654_b.jpg20170808_194936 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

36240332190_bde2061e1d_b.jpg20170817_142626 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I bought this little pump and some 2" wooden diffusers. I have a bunch of random suction cups and holders from the past few years and found one that fit the air tube perfectly. I stuck it to the bottom of the sump in the return chamber, just under the pump so the bubbles go right into it. This one block produces way more bubbles than I would have thought! When I placed it anywhere else int he return chamber I found the bubbles just weren't making their way up.

I started them on for 30 mins from 11-11:30pm and then again from 4-4:30am. I didn't want to over dose everything with micro bubbles just in case it went bonanas! After a few minutes you can see WAY more stuff floating around the water column and into the sump. I was actually surprised. I had this run for 7 nights with no visible side effects. Corals were all open and happy and the glass was pretty clean, I didn't have to scrub it that week at all.

The only thing I noticed was the clowns seemed to be freaked out or confused about what was going on when the bubbles would start. Even though everything LOOKED clean and happy and the filter sock and sump were loading up WAY more - I think I am gonna run a bubble wave once a week or so, if that. More of a quick cleanse instead of running it every night.

However, I do enjoy the look of the tiny bubbles shimmering in the moonlight so... we'll see what happens. Basically this post is not helpful in any way. Sorry.

Interesting....

16 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I'm not familiar with the micro-bubble thing, tell us more! Is the idea to kind of act like a pseudo protein skimmer during brief intervals every day?

* I think the general idea behind it - and I am pretty sure this is the scientific explanation - is that the tiny, tiny, tiny micro bubbles float around hugging and cuddling with everything picking up and knocking stuff loose so it can be swept into the water column. They help release and pull slime from corals, roll around in the sand, caress the glass and rock work and just generally touch and rub everything in a good way. 

Scientifically - apparently - since they are negatively charged they bind waste particles causing them to float to the surface. They can also dissolve in the water column - increasing oxygen.

*Not an expert opinion! :D

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

It seems logical! Keep us posted on how the tank continues to respond. Post a video of it running it's cycle sometime too, that would be cool to see everything respond to it beginning!

3 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

It seems logical! Keep us posted on how the tank continues to respond. Post a video of it running it's cycle sometime too, that would be cool to see everything respond to it beginning!

I have been filming it on a daily basis so I can make a video on what it's actually looking like. We'll see what makes it through the edit bay...

• Like 1

So in regards to your skimmer I noticed it's on egg crate is that to raise it in the sump or was it to hide your marine pure plate? Or would the skimmer work without it being on the egg crate.  The only reason I'm asking I'm looking at replacing my skimz sn123 and getting he BMC5