Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

KuruptPixel

So my Rose Bubbletip split the other day! This is the first time for me. Not gonna lie, it was odd to witness.

33162126822_b862a6f4bc_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_007 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Not a whole lot on the update front. Everything is running smooth. I took down my 5G frag tank since it was really just storing some rock and a couple frags. I wanted to fill out the main tank more so I re-arranged a few things to fill out the back.

Here's a quick FTS - before -

33162131832_45507f15df_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_002 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

- And after -

32503218903_952b599613_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_003 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33276906166_0313b50cdb_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_004 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Not a huge difference.

• Like 4
KuruptPixel
KuruptPixel

And a Clown update -

33162476492_6a2a1203e0_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_014 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33317756605_d9960c8565_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_015 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33162475422_85f029f69b_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_016 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33317755535_ea21864979_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_017 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33162474442_1b6fde7a95_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_018 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33317754415_9f52bf6480_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_019 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33277227686_603b5e86cd_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_020 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

The Clowns have kinda, sorta, but not fully, started to host a few things. They are starting to roam around a bit more and play in a few of the Torches. I'm hoping the figure it out soon so they can just lounge around in the soft stuff!

And some randoms -

33318077315_acea0ffea5_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_021 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

32935508260_63373c1995_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_022 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

33190280811_5aee17d68b_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_023 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

32935504020_bb7441e226_o.jpgKuruptPixel_Mar2017_024 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...
Christopher Marks

Another awesome video update @KuruptPixel, it really captures the shimmer. All the corals are looking great.

I love those two rose bubble tip anemones hanging out by the overflow, how cool that you got to watch it split. Does the crab hang out in them most of the day?

KuruptPixel
28 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Another awesome video update @KuruptPixel, it really captures the shimmer. All the corals are looking great.

I love those two rose bubble tip anemones hanging out by the overflow, how cool that you got to watch it split. Does the crab hang out in them most of the day?

Thanks! I actually hate how strobey the Kessil makes the videos haha. I am looking at getting new lights JUST because of it! But that may be excessive.

I wish I caught them split on a time lapse! Next time I'll know what to look for and set the camera up. Yeah, the Porcelain Crab literally only gets off the anemone when I do a water change but he jumps back into it right away.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
KuruptPixel
56 minutes ago, Zchauvin said:

Looking good as usual. What intensity do you have you Kessil set at? 

Haha Thanks! During the day my Kessil only goes to 65 tops. I have a 'photo' setting on my Apex if I am doing photos/video which runs at about 90 with a lot more whites. 

2 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Haha Thanks! During the day my Kessil only goes to 65 tops. I have a 'photo' setting on my Apex if I am doing photos/video which runs at about 90 with a lot more whites. 

Dang, and I thought I was going to high with it set to 50%. I am using the same setup with arm and 90 degree adaptor but my tank is only 12" high. Ever consider adding any acropora? I notice most of your coral are LPS or Softies. 

Also, I know I asked before but how are electronics holding up inside the stand? I know you have that icecap fan but I'd imagine you are getting some good condensation and salt creep.

KuruptPixel
15 hours ago, Zchauvin said:

Dang, and I thought I was going to high with it set to 50%. I am using the same setup with arm and 90 degree adaptor but my tank is only 12" high. Ever consider adding any acropora? I notice most of your coral are LPS or Softies. 

Also, I know I asked before but how are electronics holding up inside the stand? I know you have that icecap fan but I'd imagine you are getting some good condensation and salt creep.

I had the light at about 45 for a long time and just noticed the corals weren't blooming out as much so I dialed it up over a few weeks and now they spread out all day so I assume they like it. The tank is 18" deep plus the lights off the surface 8-10" easy so I think running it higher works.

I have tried some acros back in the day and they all died out on me. However, that was before everything stabilized and I fully rushed trying to do the acro thing so it was just too early in my reef learning career to do it properly. I have been thinking about trying it again though...

I actually just inspected the undercarriage yesterday to do a bit of dusting (thats how dry it is down there) and it was still super clean. I honestly get no condensation down there so there is literally no marks on theses things. I may re-wok my power grid/layout in May but if it's outside the box it'll get way dirtier. In fact, I don't even clean anything down there at all. So any pics of it or the videos - I don't clean it up before hand to make it presentable, like when your parents come to visit, it just stays nice and tidy. Overall with this tank the only salt creep I really get is a TINY amount around the base for the Kessil mount. For some reason it builds there but nowhere else. My old tanks were covered in creep all day, everyday. It was annoying and almost just turned me off the hobby. If I get any on the glass it's because the clowns are goofing around chasing each other and flipping water all over the place. The tank is sitting under a long window we have open almost everyday, all day to some degree so there is always fresh air flowing over it. That keeps most condensation at bay I think.

I have a bunch of videos lined up to do so maybe I'll make an anti-creep one... which will make no sense and be boring... but whatever. Haha 

KuruptPixel
4 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Nice job dude! I haven't checked your stuff out in a while. I expected nothing less. 

Thanks!!

How many LEDs are you running on your LSM, and relatively, how bright are they? The Prime HD seems bright even at 1%, so I've been thinking about going LSM instead...

KuruptPixel
On 5/6/2017 at 0:35 AM, moosubi said:

How many LEDs are you running on your LSM, and relatively, how bright are they? The Prime HD seems bright even at 1%, so I've been thinking about going LSM instead...

I got the 2 pack LED. They are bright! I LOVE the light though. It's blue but it has an almost greyish tone to it so it's not as harsh blue. If that makes sense. Mine run at 2% but I have them stuck to the back of the tank and the light bounces off the corner/wall. The tank is in our bedroom so I didn't want too much light spilling out. Even at 2% it's kinda bright but I am leaving it there until the wife complains about the brightness... which hasn't happened yet haha.

9 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

I got the 2 pack LED. They are bright! I LOVE the light though. It's blue but it has an almost greyish tone to it so it's not as harsh blue. If that makes sense. Mine run at 2% but I have them stuck to the back of the tank and the light bounces off the corner/wall. The tank is in our bedroom so I didn't want too much light spilling out. Even at 2% it's kinda bright but I am leaving it there until the wife complains about the brightness... which hasn't happened yet haha.

Thank you sir, appreciate the help.  They only come as short as two, so I was actually thinking about just covering one up...  Love your tank btw!

KuruptPixel
13 hours ago, moosubi said:

Thank you sir, appreciate the help.  They only come as short as two, so I was actually thinking about just covering one up...  Love your tank btw!

No problem and thanks! I taped one of mine at first as well.

• 2 weeks later...
KuruptPixel

So I have been meaning to tear down my water mixing station and build it with more options now that I know what I need/want out of it. The previous system was going strong for over a year and was perfectly fine... I was mostly just bored of it. I also bought 2 - 20G Brutes that have been sitting around taking up space.

(You can see more of the original set up in earlier pages but here's a quick reminder)

35040781411_fc77633c8e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_12 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35040776661_fb5057a8b6_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_13 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I had wanted to use my spare Sicce Silent for this but realized the in and outs where larger than any of the fittings I had. Everything is piped as 1/2" and this intake is 1" and the outtake is 3/4". I honestly went to 3 Home Depots and 3-4 different random hardware stores. No one had the parts I needed. I decided to use a spare Mag Drive because it was all 1/2" and I could just get it done.

This was a horrible mistake. That thing was so loud I couldn't even run it. Like a small plane drowning. I found the parts online... from a Reef Supply NOT Home Depot or ANY of the other hardware stores locally I had gone to! So all was good.

I had originally hard plumbed it all together but now that I was using the Sicce Silent I wanted to make it as quiet as possible so I snipped it apart AGAIN and re-worked some things and used tubing to hopefully give the pump some breathing space.

35040780571_d2244f931e_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_01 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35171538715_a47a807dbb_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_02 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35040780101_d45fc60a69_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_03 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35040779701_0fa8396887_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_04 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

One of the main things I wanted to do and was trying to work out was a salt water hose I could take directly to the tank instead of lugging in buckets and pouring the water in. I had about 12 feet of tubing and threw on a Two Little Fishies ball valve and it works great.

35040779231_ff5087bff6_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_05 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

35040778881_a0ee87bf21_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_06 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Now I curl it up and hang it when I am finished!

35171539795_8d97134025_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_08 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Fresh water spout.

35040778691_5a83eb04e2_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_07 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

Plumbed in.

35040777491_e187eb75bd_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_09 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

RO/DI water. The RO/DI unit is on the right with the water plugging into the back top of the tub to fill. All the electrical is hanging up on the left side.

35040776051_1274bc84e6_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_11 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

And the Salt Mix.

35171539205_fbcb470e78_o.jpgSaltTankSociety_SaltMix_10 by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I JUST realized I didn't even label the tubs for these photos. DAMMIT. I'm on it.

It's all working great right now and the Sicce Silent is really, pretty silent. Having a hose I can run directly to the tank for refills is also amazing.

Sorry for the late night ramble... I go to bed now. SO I CAN WAKE UP EARLY AND PAINT LABELS!

• Like 5
KuruptPixel
19 minutes ago, zaitmi said:

Your tank looks great. Which led light you prefer and why?

Thanks!

I have only been in this game for a few years now so I havn't had a ton of different lights. I have used a (on my 5G tank) Current USA Marine Orbit LED and my current Kessil.

I actually liked the Marine Orbit because it had some good features and the light colour was great. My issue was it has metal legs and you basically rest it on your tank so it rusts out, which obviously isn't good.

The Kessil I love! I had wanted one since before I even got a tank. I love the design and look of it. It's just a slick looking light to hang over a tank and the design makes the footprint nice and small. Also the shimmer it creates adds that natural reef look. The corals love it as well.

Is it time to get a new light? Is this what you are telling me, haha?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, KuruptPixel said:

Thanks!

I have only been in this game for a few years now so I havn't had a ton of different lights. I have used a (on my 5G tank) Current USA Marine Orbit LED and my current Kessil.

I actually liked the Marine Orbit because it had some good features and the light colour was great. My issue was it has metal legs and you basically rest it on your tank so it rusts out, which obviously isn't good.

The Kessil I love! I had wanted one since before I even got a tank. I love the design and look of it. It's just a slick looking light to hang over a tank and the design makes the footprint nice and small. Also the shimmer it creates adds that natural reef look. The corals love it as well.

Is it time to get a new light? Is this what you are telling me, haha?

I swapped from the Kessil to a NanoBox Duo I got used.  I can't decide which one I like better...  Not as nice of shimmer, but no harsh shadows, plus it runs at < 14% so I can get a more natural transition to low light.  And it looks pretty slick over the tank too!

• Like 1