Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

oh man...

It has been a VERY busy month and a half for me and reef! I havn't even had time to get onto nano-reef!!!! In the middle of moving I found out I was selected as the Tank of the Month for December! With most of my photo drives and set up packed away I accepted and added it to the growing list and dwindling hours in the day.

We moved on Nov 30th and everything went smoothly. It's a small tank but it was still a full operation! I give full respect to those of you who move your massive tanks! Holy cow. I had 4 buckets with heaters and pumps in each one so I didn't have to be on such a time crunch and worry about the flow or it getting cold. It was good to break all the equipment down and scrub it all clean and healthy again.

One thing I totally didn't really pay attention to or really think about for some reason... was dismantling my water station out back!! Needless to say by the time I got that all dissembled and the tank broken down it was well after 1am - and we started the move at 7am that day. So it was a long haul. Getting to the new place so late I just stashed the buckets and got the tank and gear into the room. Then went to bed.

It took about 4 days to get it up and running on a zombie system I had rigged because I still had to set up the WiFi for the house so the Apex and everything that ran off it was still down. Making new water and getting it into the tank a little at a time because all my 5 gallon buckets were in use I had to do it with my last 2.5 gallon one. So that sucked but I wasn't too concerned since there was flow and heat in each bucket anyways. I was able to think about the wiring and how it was gonna be set up now. After that it took about a week to get the Apex back up and running and automated again. Just having to go down and turn on and off the lights again I really don't know why you wouldn't own an Apex at this point!!

Everything survived the move and one of the Bubble Tips split a few days later. The only causality was my chalice which shrunk out and faded away. I am fairly certain it had nothing to do with water or the move because 4 of the BTA's made their new home surrounding the poor guy... and then one split so I think it just got crowded and didn't enjoy the constant stinging.

So overall it went well and everything is happy. I havn't even had time yet to put together a vid or even take new photos... in fact I am not even sure where my camera is at this point but I will get to it soon and post a better update with things to look at!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

Hope the move went well?  Was hoping to see an update about the new set in your new home.  

I’m still struggling on with my Nano so any upgrades are a long way off.  Learning all the time though which is great. I’m about to set up my own RODI system so checked back in your thread for some tips. Just need to find all the right parts to set it up.  I’m going to do two water changes per week to keep parameters nice and steady.  

Cheers, 

CH

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 2:56 PM, ClawHammer said:

Hi there,

Hope the move went well?  Was hoping to see an update about the new set in your new home.  

I’m still struggling on with my Nano so any upgrades are a long way off.  Learning all the time though which is great. I’m about to set up my own RODI system so checked back in your thread for some tips. Just need to find all the right parts to set it up.  I’m going to do two water changes per week to keep parameters nice and steady.  

Cheers, 

CH

Oh yes... the move. Just to spare everyone the long, stressful story - here's a quick re-cap of my last 3 months - Sold the apartment > Bought the townhouse > Renting an apartment > Selling the townhouse > Searching for new House. Oh and I started a new job in Dec and we are expecting a baby in March, haha. SO IT'S BEEN A BIT STRESSY AROUND THESE PARTS!

After the move to the townhouse everything was cruising along fine. We rented and moved into the apartment in mid Jan and I had to leave the tank while we settled in and unpacked for a bit. It was there for about 2 weeks. Lonely. Running off it's Apex heart. I went to visit as much as I could (which was a lot). When I finally broke it down and brought it over we decided it was too risky to set it up in the rental. We havn't had to deal with that since I have even had a tank because we have been owners so if it smashed and floods - it's my stuff it wrecks! We also know we won't be here for long because we are actively looking again for the RIGHT place to set up shop. I know that it's 99.9% safe and I don't worry about it but my wife who is growing a child inside her has a heightened level of anxiety. I also didn't want to risk damaging the equipment and tanks by draining and moving too often not to mention stressing out all the livestock and fishes.

I made a deal with a friend of mine who has a 220g tank in his studio. We bought lots of beer and I transferred it all to him to look after until I get settled properly. It was seriously sad for me. Not having it around is strange. Seeing this empty Nano just sitting here all clean and empty. :(

NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS!

Once we move I will be setting up a NEW TANK! I am going to build a shallow tank and honestly lay in bed EVERY night right now drawing up plans and plumbing. I know it's sad. So I have that to occupy my reef-less mind for the moment and it excites me to get back into the build process! I have also been busting out new designs and some new products at The Salt Tank Society so watch out for those!

Anyways, enough about me!

Sorry to hear you feel you are struggling with your tank! Hang in there! It's a slow grow so don't get too hung up on anything not working right away. 

• Like 1

You should just Build since you’re already renting. Not sure what it’s like where you are, but where I am, the inventory is so low and demand so high, new construction isn’t much of a price difference. 

22 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Oh yes... the move. Just to spare everyone the long, stressful story - here's a quick re-cap of my last 3 months - Sold the apartment > Bought the townhouse > Renting an apartment > Selling the townhouse > Searching for new House. Oh and I started a new job in Dec and we are expecting a baby in March, haha. SO IT'S BEEN A BIT STRESSY AROUND THESE PARTS!

After the move to the townhouse everything was cruising along fine. We rented and moved into the apartment in mid Jan and I had to leave the tank while we settled in and unpacked for a bit. It was there for about 2 weeks. Lonely. Running off it's Apex heart. I went to visit as much as I could (which was a lot). When I finally broke it down and brought it over we decided it was too risky to set it up in the rental. We havn't had to deal with that since I have even had a tank because we have been owners so if it smashed and floods - it's my stuff it wrecks! We also know we won't be here for long because we are actively looking again for the RIGHT place to set up shop. I know that it's 99.9% safe and I don't worry about it but my wife who is growing a child inside her has a heightened level of anxiety. I also didn't want to risk damaging the equipment and tanks by draining and moving too often not to mention stressing out all the livestock and fishes.

I made a deal with a friend of mine who has a 220g tank in his studio. We bought lots of beer and I transferred it all to him to look after until I get settled properly. It was seriously sad for me. Not having it around is strange. Seeing this empty Nano just sitting here all clean and empty. :(

NOW FOR SOME GOOD NEWS!

Once we move I will be setting up a NEW TANK! I am going to build a shallow tank and honestly lay in bed EVERY night right now drawing up plans and plumbing. I know it's sad. So I have that to occupy my reef-less mind for the moment and it excites me to get back into the build process! I have also been busting out new designs and some new products at The Salt Tank Society so watch out for those!

Anyways, enough about me!

Sorry to hear you feel you are struggling with your tank! Hang in there! It's a slow grow so don't get too hung up on anything not working right away. 

Didn't post a build thread yet, been too lazy/busy, but I got a smoking deal on the IM Fusion Lagoon 50 and moved my nano stuff into there, whew lad, it's a great tank!

11 hours ago, Nixperience said:

You should just Build since you’re already renting. Not sure what it’s like where you are, but where I am, the inventory is so low and demand so high, new construction isn’t much of a price difference. 

Oh man I wish we could build. I live in Vancouver. I'm not sure if you know anything about our market but it's something like the 2nd most expensive realty market in the world. It's ridiculous. And sad. We are selling our 3 bedroom townhouse, at a whopping 1,500 sqft for 1.2 million. Don't get me started on this though! Haha

1 hour ago, moosubi said:

Didn't post a build thread yet, been too lazy/busy, but I got a smoking deal on the IM Fusion Lagoon 50 and moved my nano stuff into there, whew lad, it's a great tank!

Nice! I have looked into those myself!

22 hours ago, KuruptPixel said:

Oh man I wish we could build. I live in Vancouver. I'm not sure if you know anything about our market but it's something like the 2nd most expensive realty market in the world. It's ridiculous. And sad. We are selling our 3 bedroom townhouse, at a whopping 1,500 sqft for 1.2 million. Don't get me started on this though! Haha

OMG! That’s insane. Just take that 1.2 mil and move to the east coast. You can build or buy a 3000sqft house under $700k and have $500k left!

On 2/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Nixperience said:

OMG! That’s insane. Just take that 1.2 mil and move to the east coast. You can build or buy a 3000sqft house under $700k and have $500k left!

Tell me about it! I am unfortunately tied to the city because of my job in this industry - this or LA. But we have floated the idea of a complete life/career change because we can basically sell and move anywhere at this point! I sold my 2 bedroom apartment... APARTMENT in the city for almost 900. Hahahahahahaha... sad.

The WORST part of the whole situation here is that I don't have 5 mil to buy a real house so I can build a giant tank!!! I see lots of you guys with awesome fish rooms and lots of space! I am jealous! Also, my wife would love to get me out of the way while I 'fish tank'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, and I thought house prices here in the UK were crazy!!  I had always thought I’d end up moving back to Vancouver someday. My folks had a tiny house in Steveston and, having  a look on Google maps, it’s now surrounded by houses priced in the millions of dollars :o  Did you really sell the townhouse as soon as you’d bought it or have I misunderstood that? 

All the gear for my RODI system is here now so will be setting it up this weekend. Hopefully the regular water changes will help the corals. It’ll save a lot of time and hassle too as my son isn’t too impressed that we need to visit the LFS for RODI and saltwater every weekend :wacko:

Congratulations on your new job BTW. With a new home and child on the way you’re going to have your hands full but will look forward to seeing your new set up. Will you still bring back the RSR Nano as a frag/quarantine tank?  

6 hours ago, ClawHammer said:

Wow, and I thought house prices here in the UK were crazy!!  I had always thought I’d end up moving back to Vancouver someday. My folks had a tiny house in Steveston and, having  a look on Google maps, it’s now surrounded by houses priced in the millions of dollars :o  Did you really sell the townhouse as soon as you’d bought it or have I misunderstood that? 

All the gear for my RODI system is here now so will be setting it up this weekend. Hopefully the regular water changes will help the corals. It’ll save a lot of time and hassle too as my son isn’t too impressed that we need to visit the LFS for RODI and saltwater every weekend :wacko:

Congratulations on your new job BTW. With a new home and child on the way you’re going to have your hands full but will look forward to seeing your new set up. Will you still bring back the RSR Nano as a frag/quarantine tank?  

If I wasn't so married to the city career wise I would get out and live normally. Yeah, we lived there for about 2 months. It's on the market now so I am hoping it just sells quickly and we can move on. Live and learn!

It's certainly worth the investment to get a good RO/DI unit and the ability to make your own water. Especially if something goes south you can fix it on your own instead of waiting for a LFS to open!

Thanks! I was packing up the RSR Nano to sell off with a return pump and other goodies so someone could buy a quick, good base setup... but I am thinking I might keep it for exactly that. We'll see. I have a great deal of drawings for the new set up. I am very excited!

• 2 months later...
BostonReef

I’m late to the party but wanted to say, great thread, and I love the idea of turning the ATO reservoir into a fuge, I already have a Tunze so what a better use.

I’m in the opposite situation, was getting ready to possibly move and couldn’t deal with the older MAX 250, moving 65g is so much work lol.  So I’m “downgrading” although it always killed me the max had no sump and its size / also living in a condo meant if I was busy, water changes suffered.   So back to smaller tanks for a bit!

Loved yours and love that fuge idea.  Never saw it before. Sorry for resurrecting, but love the idea and I’ll have to steal it.

• 4 years later...