Cultivated Reef

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

Looking nice. I don't even notice my screen top it blends in nicely. Really ads some peace of mind.

Thanks! Yeah they look pretty sleek most of the time. I didn't get around to building it over the weekend though!

It's looking great, got the same tank (as well as a reefer 450) ...

Running all the same equipment almost as you actually, however.. I can't get the Bubble magus Curve 5 to work at all...?

How have you got yours set up?.. Mine is Super noisy .. air sort of noise, i can lower noise by lifting it up but then the bubbles no where near reach the cup.. not sure if it's faulty or what.. It was bought brand new :)

A 450 as well... niiiice. Thats my next plan! BIGGER! My awesome LFS was selling their display 450 (no water, just built) with a bunch of gear and a $200 store credit for like 60% off! I controlled myself. Unfortunately.

The Curve 5 works like a dream! It's silent. I never had noise but I had an issue with height/bubbles for the first few weeks until it broke in and slimed itself a bit. Now I don't even touch it. Maybe you missed that red plug for one of the holes near the base so it's sucking in too much air?

Last week I took out the Carbon/GFO mix I have been running the last few months and threw in a ChemiPure Blue sack I had from the old 10G that I never used. I think it's thrown some things off. Getting a few outbreaks now which I had in the 10G but never in the Nano. It's WC night tonight so I'll take it out and put the Carbon/GFO sack back in and hope it steadies itself again.

And after a week in the tank - the Blenny is still alive! He has been lurking around the back rock work so it's been hard to find him sometimes but he is now swimming to grab frozen mysis from the water column and he doesn't hide when he sees me anymore. Hopefully he figures out theres an entire other side to the tank to explore!

Noticed my LFS has some mangroves in stock. I might have to grab a few on my way home tonight. Always loved the look of them. They seem to be hard to find in Canada! (Or atleast hard to get across the border)

What outbreaks were you seeing after using the CPB if you don't mind me asking?

Just brown sand patches and a bit of hair algae. It's nothing major but I think I fiddled with the balance. I was always mixing it up in my 10G so it never had a chance to really stabilize. I wasn't very patient. With the Nano I set it up and have pretty much just left it alone... until now. I'm putting the Carbon/GFO back in tonight. I don't want to worry about it. If it ain't broke... right?

That's true. If it's working then might as well leave it be. I was asking because I am using cpb and wanted to see if you attributed the issues directly to the cpb. Thank you for your response.

That's true. If it's working then might as well leave it be. I was asking because I am using cpb and wanted to see if you attributed the issues directly to the cpb. Thank you for your response.

I used CPB when I had the 10G but because I was using hang ons. It worked great for that!

your blenny will come around! i had two clowns sit in the corner for like 3 days only moving around to get some pellets in the morning. they swim around now and found out about a brand new world lol

what are the settings on your camera? the pictures are phenomenal.

your blenny will come around! i had two clowns sit in the corner for like 3 days only moving around to get some pellets in the morning. they swim around now and found out about a brand new world lol

Yeah I basically left the tank alone all week just so he wouldn't have to look at me. He'll come around for sure.

Thanks! Most of the photos are taken on my S6 Edge. I can't fully get the blue out so they look a bit odd.

I busted out the 10 year old Cannon Rebel last night. Uploading...

Grabbed some shots last night post WC.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_001.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_005.jpg

I love this Yuma and it's spitting out clones like it's massing an army.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_003.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_004.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_006.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_002.jpg

If I were an Ant I would build a colony underwater and use these to carpet the entire thing with. I think the movement as you step on them would mimic the density of the water outside the colony making the transition easier in and out of any air lock. I would also be an Ant would built an air lock... so I would probably win a Nobel Ant Prize... and I would be able to fund my research into why Fire Ants are so angry all the time... I would also have a giant reef tank that runs the walls of the entire colony... and it would contain Micro Dolphins, which I also created and cloned... it'll be like Sea Quest. I don't know if I'd want them to talk though. I feel like they'd be really naggy. 'I want more garlic bread.' 'These fish smell fishy.' Arrgh.

Anyways, that's going on my dream board.

Ant colony carpet of the future.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_007.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_009.jpg

This is my first attempt at a top down shot. It got awkward. I'm sorry.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_008.jpg

And finally I kinda, almost but not really got a decent shot of the lil one! This is the best frame I got out of about 60 high speed ones haha. I'm gonna have to work on catching the fish shots.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_010.jpg

• Like 7

It's looking great, got the same tank (as well as a reefer 450) ...

Running all the same equipment almost as you actually, however.. I can't get the Bubble magus Curve 5 to work at all...?

How have you got yours set up?.. Mine is Super noisy .. air sort of noise, i can lower noise by lifting it up but then the bubbles no where near reach the cup.. not sure if it's faulty or what.. It was bought brand new :)

Did you figure this out? Over the weekend I started hearing a bit of a whine, very faint. I turned everything off one at a time and it was the Curve 5. It was the little muffler by the cup. I popped the top off and cleaned the base of it with a Q-Tip and it was good to go. Not sure if that helps and you probably figured it out but I thought I'd share! Haha

Wow man, your tank is looking fantastic very well done.

Looking GREAT!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Couple new things in the past few weeks. Hooked up the Apex Lunar Sim mod, which is awesome. The Tailspot is doing very well, eating like a baby pig.

Also finally got around to putting together my BRS screen top kit. For those like me who aren't exactly 'handy' it's actually very easy which was nice.

29509061212_9d901facbe_o.jpgBRS screen top by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

I needed to get it done because...

28993609974_7ccc074389_o.jpgSnowflake and Picasso Clownfish by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

28993610264_965779676e_o.jpgSnowflake and Picasso Clownfish by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29584903816_55e31c6d91_o.jpgSnowflake and Picasso Clownfish by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

A Full Moon Crater Snowflake and Picasso Clowns! They seem to be adjusting well. Not eating a ton but I would expect that for a couple days I guess.

• Like 1

So I set up a frag/QT tank over the weekend. I had the old 10G sitting around so I may as well use it. I took the Bio-Pellet reactor off the Nano so I decided to use it as well. I filled it with some extra rubble. My thought was to keep it separated so it's not all just randomly inside the tank. I wasn't really thinking of debris building up inside it until after I filled it... but I'm not sure how much of an issue that would be anyways. Do you think this will cause any major issues?

10G standard tank. AC20 w/InTank basket - Floss/Carbon. Marine Orbit LED. Reef Octopus media reactor w/rock rubble. Heater. Hydor 240.

29629314802_33d68951a9_o.jpgFrag Tank setup by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29449690080_b10aef1984_o.jpgFrag Tank setup by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29629310582_c3b278a0a0_o.jpgFrag Tank setup by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29114218684_04c2be9ce3_o.jpgFrag Tank setup by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

29449687910_a8b64f24dd_o.jpgFrag Tank setup by SaltTank Society, on Flickr

The plan right now is to strip out a bunch of the corals from the Nano and move in some Bubble Tips for the Clowns. They havn't taken to any of the big fluffy Hammers or Torches yet so that may take some time. If they figure it out I will keep it as is.

• 4 weeks later...

​Hi there,

I purchased the RSR Nano a few weeks ago and currently on day 7 of a fishless cycle. It's my first saltwater tank so I'm taking things real slow so I can get used to the equipment and ensure everything is perfect before adding livestock. I've read your thread from beginning to end so thanks for sharing your experience. It's been a valuable source of information for me.

I have a quick question re. your sump. I noticed last night that the section that houses the return pump has absolutely no water movement at all on the surface and the surface looks dirty. There's obviously water movement underneath as the pump is working fine. Is yours the same as this?

I don't really see how it's possible to stop this happening as I turned the pump onto full power and adjusted the return valve accordingly and once the water level returned to "normal" there was no surface movement again. Should I be concerned with this? I'm concerned that the water will go stagnant after a while.

Also, the triangular piece of glass that holds the ATU ball valve is continuously wet. Do you have the same issue and, if so, do you have any idea where this is coming from? I can't tell if it's a really slow leak on the ATU ball valve or tube or if it's from the condensation that builds up on the ATU tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

CH.

North Borders

​Hi there,

I purchased the RSR Nano a few weeks ago and currently on day 7 of a fishless cycle. It's my first saltwater tank so I'm taking things real slow so I can get used to the equipment and ensure everything is perfect before adding livestock. I've read your thread from beginning to end so thanks for sharing your experience. It's been a valuable source of information for me.

I have a quick question re. your sump. I noticed last night that the section that houses the return pump has absolutely no water movement at all on the surface and the surface looks dirty. There's obviously water movement underneath as the pump is working fine. Is yours the same as this?

I don't really see how it's possible to stop this happening as I turned the pump onto full power and adjusted the return valve accordingly and once the water level returned to "normal" there was no surface movement again. Should I be concerned with this? I'm concerned that the water will go stagnant after a while.

Also, the triangular piece of glass that holds the ATU ball valve is continuously wet. Do you have the same issue and, if so, do you have any idea where this is coming from? I can't tell if it's a really slow leak on the ATU ball valve or tube or if it's from the condensation that builds up on the ATU tank?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

CH.

What return pump are you using? Is the water flowing through the foam piece in the baffle as it comes out of the skimmer chamber or over it?

• Like 1

What return pump are you using? Is the water flowing through the foam piece in the baffle as it comes out of the skimmer chamber or over it?

I'm using an Eheim Compact 2000. Yes, the water is flowing over the entire length of the glass from the skimmer chamber and then through the foam.

If I turn up the power on the Eheim then the chamber empties quickly. Likewise, if I turn the power down the chamber will fill up. Also, if I reduce the flow on the return valve the return chamber also fills up quickly and vice versa. The water must be flowing, right? It's just that there's nothing to stir up the surface water in the return chamber as the water enters from the bottom and it's pumped out from the bottom. I need to know if this is normal?

North Borders

I was running that exact pump on mine and swapped to the 3000 after a few months. I could never quite get it tuned in how I wanted and I wanted more "oomph" out of the return nozzle. I guess I've never noticed or thought about the circulation issue. I don't know that it's that much of a concern, though. I dose 2 part using BRS pumps. I have the dosing line feed right into that return pump chamber and I've never had issues.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Grabbed some shots last night post WC.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_001.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_005.jpg

I love this Yuma and it's spitting out clones like it's massing an army.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_003.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_004.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_006.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_002.jpg

If I were an Ant I would build a colony underwater and use these to carpet the entire thing with. I think the movement as you step on them would mimic the density of the water outside the colony making the transition easier in and out of any air lock. I would also be an Ant would built an air lock... so I would probably win a Nobel Ant Prize... and I would be able to fund my research into why Fire Ants are so angry all the time... I would also have a giant reef tank that runs the walls of the entire colony... and it would contain Micro Dolphins, which I also created and cloned... it'll be like Sea Quest. I don't know if I'd want them to talk though. I feel like they'd be really naggy. 'I want more garlic bread.' 'These fish smell fishy.' Arrgh.

Anyways, that's going on my dream board.

Ant colony carpet of the future.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_007.jpg

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_009.jpg

This is my first attempt at a top down shot. It got awkward. I'm sorry.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_008.jpg

And finally I kinda, almost but not really got a decent shot of the lil one! This is the best frame I got out of about 60 high speed ones haha. I'm gonna have to work on catching the fish shots.

KuruptPixel_Nano_AUG_010.jpg

Very nice! I like it. One day I'll join the RS club with the reefer 170.