inTank Media Baskets

Kurupt's | Red Sea Reefer Nano | DEC UPDATE

KuruptPixel

Poplenlawn

Nice looking tank! I finally got through the cycle stage and started transferring livestock out of the 4 gallon. How efficient is the Ice Cap fan at reducing or stabilizing the temp of the water?

post-84360-0-70717000-1464883795_thumb.jpg

KuruptPixel

Nice looking tank! I finally got through the cycle stage and started transferring livestock out of the 4 gallon. How efficient is the Ice Cap fan at reducing or stabilizing the temp of the water?

Thanks! And nice work! Looking good!

I have the Ice Cap just resting on the ATO res right now and it's just facing upwards. Basically just circulating air. I havn't had time yet to figure out how I can mount it. I have two of them so the plan is to have one in the sump and one for the surface up top. We got a bit of heat here in Vancouver this last week and it's been hot. The fan has been going but I am not sure just how much it helps right now. Once I get them mounted properly it will though.

I do love them though because they are dead quiet and small/light weight.

Nice tank! Everything is looking really great.

Thanks! Everything seems happy!

KuruptPixel

Finally got around to installing the Apex. That was definitely NOT plug and play! Haha It took a good, solid 3 days to get it going and seeing everything. (And I am on hiatus now so I am not even going to work. That's FULL days messing around with it and talking with Support!) The WXM was over taking the EB8 so when one was plugged in the other would disappear. The wifi was a pain to set up. It seems like everyone has the same problems and Neptune has work around you are just supposed to do, which seems silly. But anyways, it's up and running.

Of course I bought all this RIGHT BEFORE THEY DROP THE NEW APEX! By like a week, seriously. The new one looks a bit goofy though so I am ok.

I switched up the return pump from the Sicce 2.0 to a 3.5. I don't know why but that's what happened. I plumbed a ball valve out of it originally so now I can tune it up or down with the 3.5 plugged in.

Finally got around to installing the Apex. That was definitely NOT plug and play! Haha It took a good, solid 3 days to get it going and seeing everything. (And I am on hiatus now so I am not even going to work. That's FULL days messing around with it and talking with Support!) The WXM was over taking the EB8 so when one was plugged in the other would disappear. The wifi was a pain to set up. It seems like everyone has the same problems and Neptune has work around you are just supposed to do, which seems silly. But anyways, it's up and running.

Of course I bought all this RIGHT BEFORE THEY DROP THE NEW APEX! By like a week, seriously. The new one looks a bit goofy though so I am ok.

I switched up the return pump from the Sicce 2.0 to a 3.5. I don't know why but that's what happened. I plumbed a ball valve out of it originally so now I can tune it up or down with the 3.5 plugged in.

Why did you end up with the 3.5? The 2 seems like plenty. Yeah when I had an rkl it took me a while to get everything situated, I can't imagine with the apex and all its capabilities.

KuruptPixel

Why did you end up with the 3.5? The 2 seems like plenty. Yeah when I had an rkl it took me a while to get everything situated, I can't imagine with the apex and all its capabilities.

I wanted the 3.5 so I could tone it down instead of having the 2.0 running 100% all the time. At the end of the day it doesn't matter I guess. I am switching back to the 2.0 though. The 3.5 is adding about 1.5 degrees to the tank! So it was an experiment!

KuruptPixel

Thanks for your posts. Planning on getting the nano shortly so really interesting on how you're getting on. Please keep the posts/photos coming!

Awesome! You'll love it! I am looking at buying a bigger house so I can have a bigger tank... aka: a fish room... aka: a Garage. Unfortunately I live in Vancouver!

KuruptPixel

So this new bad boy came today -

2016-06-16%2015.47.11.jpg

I wanted to get another MP10w and put them on the back walls so I could change up the flow pattern through out the day. I found there was too many dead spots with just the one on the right side glass. Also, it gets them out of the way and you really don't even notice them on the back glass that is also black.

The Apex and new Vortech controller in place -

2016-06-16%2015.47.45.jpg

Original Vortech -

2016-06-16%2015.48.01.jpg

Sump wise, I put the Sicce 2.0 back in as the return. I threw the 3.5 into my RO/DI reservoir to keep it nice and aerated. I put in the Apex probes and added a Koralia Nano 240 just to keep things from sitting around dead. I have another 240 I might throw in just because I have it but we'll see. Don't mind the skimmer cup, it's WC day tomorrow.

2016-06-16%2015.48.17.jpg

I also still have to deal with the fan situation. I need to hang it somehow. We have had a cool spell this last week so it's all good.

• Like 1
KuruptPixel

And my apartment size water management system - 15 gallon Roughnecks -

2016-06-16%2016.16.24.jpg

Mag Drive 500 & Heater in the salt mixing tank -

2016-06-16%2016.16.42.jpg

Sicce Silent 3.5 & RO/DI float valve shut off for the fresh RO/DI tank -

2016-06-16%2016.17.24.jpg

Mixing tap - Fresh tap for ATO -

2016-06-16%2016.17.46.jpg

SpectraPure -

2016-06-16%2016.18.00.jpg

• Like 2
KuruptPixel

Nice tank! Any updated full tank shots?

Thanks! I am working on getting some new FTS up soon!

Finally got the IceCap in properly. Just some Velcro and zap straps! It's super low profile and out of the way.

2016-06-19%2011.50.01.jpg

2016-06-19%2011.52.37.jpg

• Like 5
KuruptPixel

Hi Kuruptpixel, how is your skimmer doing? Does it have enough waste to keep the foam going?

It's working great actually. Yeah, I don't have any fish (yet) but I feed the crabs/shrimp everyday. It pulls a lot out. I empty and scrub the cup every week and it gets pretty stank so it's definitely doing it's job. I do plan to get some fish in early August though!

• Like 1

Thanks! I am working on getting some new FTS up soon!

Finally got the IceCap in properly. Just some Velcro and zap straps! It's super low profile and out of the way.

2016-06-19%2011.50.01.jpg

2016-06-19%2011.52.37.jpg

Nice! Do you have a problem with the humidity? My velcro just peeled off with little effort.

KuruptPixel

Thx! What are your stocking ideas?

I just want something hardy. Probably just 2 clowns of some type.

Nice! Do you have a problem with the humidity? My velcro just peeled off with little effort.

It's not official but I pretty much have 0 humidity down there. No issues at all. I check the velcro every now and then but it's stuck on there tight. I do live a block from the ocean in Vancouver though and we aren't a very humid city to begin with so I have that going for me! It gets hot but we have the ocean breeze.

Have you had to adjust the skimmer at all? I have the same tank but a bubble magus G5 which I think is the newer curve 5?.. Same skimmer pretty much but if it's on the bottom it is loud, like a air noise etc but if I raise then the bubbles don't reach the cup :/

Have you had to adjust the skimmer at all? I have the same tank but a bubble magus G5 which I think is the newer curve 5?.. Same skimmer pretty much but if it's on the bottom it is loud, like a air noise etc but if I raise then the bubbles don't reach the cup :/

Hey Conscept,

The g5 is the newer nac3.5, the curve 5 also has a new version it's the curve a5 (dc pump). Unfortunately i don't know how to solve your problem.

KuruptPixel

I only really adjusted it for the first week or so. It's been on auto pilot since. This Curve 5 makes ZERO noise. I recently threw in some OXO silicone pads under the pumps and they help a bunch as well. But it was silent even before that.

KuruptPixel

So I got tired of waiting so late for the sun to go down these days so I didn't bust out any camera gear, just the phone so they are a bit harsh and blue! Sorry for any reflections haha.

So 2 weeks ago I took out and broke down the center tower I had going on originally. I was tired of just seeing the lump in the center. Since I have started turning my thoughts to adding some fish I wanted to give them some more room as well. I re-designed it so it sloped down from the back right. I like it a lot more.

FTS: July 2016

20160704_201300-01.jpeg

Left side

20160703_213232-01.jpeg

Bit of a photo dump going on!

Some mid-day natural sunlight shots-

2016-06-22%2010.15.12.jpg

2016-06-22%2010.25.25.jpg

2016-06-22%2010.19.42.jpg

• Like 3