Cultivated Reef

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

• 2 weeks later...

A new full tank shot and a close up of my newest addition 

All were taken with an IPhone X using the aquarium app, and are almost identically to what I see with my eye. 

61ECD906-3521-4633-9292-FAB0B6A93F28.jpeg

A35FBFAC-8C14-4D2F-A98A-785548859FFC.jpeg

B74B7935-50CE-4008-9E9A-B6B973381E81.jpeg

2398DFC1-1314-4E62-8503-668229CAAF67.jpeg

• Like 3

also, I'm back (for a while, I tend to come and go), and have some updates on the aquarium:

The red firefish and radial filefish are dead (eaten by the curlicue anemone, which I am trying to kill, and have been somewhat successful). I found a tiny zebra lionfish at my Lfs ~1" that I bought today, as well as a strawberry conch, $10 giant acro colony (in the wrong bin and I went at a slow time) and two blasto frags. certain corals in my tank have done very well (gorgonian, Duncan, leather, blue/green acro, birds nest, lepestrea) while others, have not. The winners and losers are very random and have not really made much sense. I have started doing water changes again as well (After 4 months). I would routinely test the water and it was always fine, but I stated to notice some unhappy coral. 

Future stocking plans:

leopard puffer or mimic saddle puffer (filefish)  or pair of radial filefish 

coral beauty or flame angelfish 

1 hour ago, William said:

also, I'm back (for a while, I tend to come and go), and have some updates on the aquarium:

The red firefight and radial filefish are dead (eaten by the curlicue anemone, which I am trying to kill, and have been somewhat successful). I found a tiny zebra lionfish at my bfs ~1" that I bought today, as well as a strawberry conch, $10 giant across colony (in the wrong bin and I went at a slow time) and two blasto frags. certain corals in my tank have done very well (gorgonian, Duncan, leather, blue/green acro, birds nest, lepestrea) while others, have not. The winners and losers are very random and have not really made much sense. I have started doing water changes again as well (After 4 months). I would routinely test the water and it was always fine, but I stated to notice some unhappy coral. 

Future stocking plans:

leopard puffer or mimic saddle puffer (filefish)  or pair of radial filefish 

coral beauty or flame angelfish 

The mimic saddle puffers are awesome! One of my favorites.

Tank looks awesome!

Didn't you have a pair of waspfish? 

Still have them?

I have one, one of them died last summer during a heat wave (I was out of  town and the tank got up to 88 degrees, I plan to buy a chiller for this summer). 

I think I’m going to try to clean up my sump and ancillary equipment this weekend and redo my dosing apparatus... I’ll post pics of the final result. 

While this may not seem like much, it was a 5 hour undertaking..... organized all the cords and redid all of my Dosing lines (used arterial line pressure tubing), and recalibrated my Doser. 

2A8097E8-F0C0-48C9-B3E9-513086C72440.jpeg

E6DF1834-879E-43C3-8707-2A7BC5073550.jpeg

Tomorrow I’m going to actually clean it....

C4064908-2B7E-4684-A782-3DDAC8C17EAB.jpeg

• Like 2

I decided to automate more of my dosing, so now I have my acropower (3ml/day) and phols extra(2m/day) on the doser. hopefully this will make my corals happier. 

I plan to capture my snapping shrimp, and would be happy to give it to anyone in the NYC area.

New pics of the Flame angel and red shroom I got from a fellow NYC reefer, as well as the $5 blasto frag I got from a LFS: 

6E1DAD07-C465-4CFD-A8F7-E0EF0906363D.jpeg

C59404E8-3B3B-4631-9D4C-0328EE047402.jpeg

534D4D23-7C7F-4906-AF80-8E2D3DF85D07.jpeg

photos shot on an iPhone X using the aquarium app. the nanobox is on the mixed reef mode with the pumps on. 

• Like 2
flatlandreefer
13 hours ago, William said:

Any idea what this snail is? I just saw it today (tank has been up for 18 months) 

6CAF0328-2017-43DF-AC24-C032E25CC38E.jpeg

Looks like a nassarious too me. It is surprising to see it on the glass though if that is what it is, they usually stick to the sand bed. 

1 hour ago, flatlandreefer said:

Looks like a nassarious too me. It is surprising to see it on the glass though if that is what it is, they usually stick to the sand bed. 

It pretty much only stays on the glass 

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is doing well, my dwarf lion was found dead this am ... (in the big RFA) ....

but he has not eaten well from the start 

my calcium was low, 380, when I checked it today, so I will have to increase my calcium dosing. 

I am seeing

really great results with dosing acropower daily as well as brightwell aminos daily. 

Pics arw are with the aquarium camera app with different amounts of white balance 

1EA3AE9F-38DC-4091-B4FB-4E31CB1EF4FC.jpeg

B8C7F111-587C-4DB7-83FD-95372FF94551.jpeg

83A981B1-84BE-4653-AD22-5C8FDE80A8BF.jpeg