Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

Reefisgood61

Enjoy seeing your start.  I have a white 170 on order.  Enjoying reading while I wait.  Would love to see how you mounted your controller and equipment.   And look forward to watching your system grow.  

19 hours ago, Reefisgood61 said:

Enjoy seeing your start.  I have a white 170 on order.  Enjoying reading while I wait.  Would love to see how you mounted your controller and equipment.   And look forward to watching your system grow.  

I'm jealous, I'm wishing I had gone with the larger size now. I'll post some pics of my Sump and stand soon

New leather I got from petco for $5 and a new FTS. I have a little crano outbreak going on right now. I probably need to cut back on the feeding a bit. 

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, William said:

Stripped RFA and branching coralline 

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

Wow, lotsa cool stuff added!!

Where did you get it all from?

I think my last fish addition will either be a small "ultra" yellow or red fuzzy dwarf lion or a yellow spot scorpionfish 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

things are going well, for the first time in a while. all of my sps are growing rapidly and my gorgonian are really taking off (I started dosing iodine and this really seems to have helped). I also have found that my aquarium prefers nitrate to be in the 4-8 range. In this range I get good growth, color, and minimal algae growth. If I drop below 4 I actually see increased algae growth and decreased coral growth. I have made a few changes as well. I added on a bio-pellet reactor to augment my NOPOX dosing and have seen good results. I have also dramatically increased my amino acid dosing and feeding with positive results. 

Fish additions:

Algae Blenny

Grade A Picasso Clown 

Invert Additions: 

fighting conch 

10 margarita snails

1 Mexican turbo snail. 

This brings the number of fish in my aquarium to 7:

Red Bandtail Waspfish x2

Radial Filefish 

Red Firefish 

Algae Blenny

Clownfish x2 

Which I feel may be the max I could keep without having issues of overcrowding. The only exception would be if I could find a small yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish, something I have been trying to acquire for over a year. 

Update:

things are going well, for the first time in a while. all of my sps are growing rapidly and my gorgonian are really taking off (I started dosing iodine and this really seems to have helped). I also have found that my aquarium prefers nitrate to be in the 4-8 range. In this range I get good growth and color and minimal algae. If I drop below 4 I actually see increased algae growth and decreased coral growth. I have made a few changes as well. I added on a bio-pellet reactor to augment my NOPOX dosing and have seen good results. I have also dramatically increased my amino acid dosing and feeding with positive results. 

Fish additions:

Algae Blenny

Grade A Picasso Clown 

Invert Additions: 

fighting conch 

10 margarita snails

1 Mexican turbo snail. 

This brings the number of fish in my aquarium to 7:

Red Bandtail Waspfish x2

Radial Filefish 

Red Firefish 

Algae Blenny

Clownfish x2 

Which I feel may be the max I could keep without having issues of overcrowding. The only exception would be if I could find a small yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish, something I have been trying to acquire for over a year. 

• Like 1
On 7/18/2017 at 10:35 PM, William said:

Gorgeous fishy shot. 

How do you dose iodine? 

What type of iodine do you dose with and how often, and do you test for it?

10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Gorgeous fishy shot. 

How do you dose iodine? 

What type of iodine do you dose with and how often, and do you test for it?

Thanks!, and I dose BWA lugols solution. I should test for it and I have an iodine test on the way but I have recently just watched my leather corals and gorgonians. Specifically my corky sea finger and and purple sinularia. I have noticed that if both are not having good polyp extension I can add a drop of lugols solution and within an hour the polyp extension is significantly better. I never dose more then two drops per week. I think part of my problem is that I have a significant number of soft corals for a relatively small water volume and I skim heavily. I will know more when I get my iodine test. 

I should also note that the rock nems have doubled in size in slightly less than a month. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New pics of the tank, sorry for the poor quality, regular iPhone camera shots (I still have a hard time taking pictures) 

also so I found this odd looking snail today and I'm not sure if it needs to be removed or not...? 

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, William said:

New pics of the tank, sorry for the poor quality, regular iPhone camera shots (I still have a hard time taking pictures) 

also so I found this odd looking snail today and I'm not sure if it needs to be removed or not...? 

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

I'm not sure on the snail but I love that first tank pic!!

Thanks for the helpful iodine info. 

• 2 months later...
Reefaddiction

Hey there, just wondering what your experience with NOPOX has been this far. I’m interested in using it for a 14 gallon biocube and wanted to do a little research on it first. My concern is that I have the biocube skimmer which fits well in the tank but I’m not sure it’s a good enough skimmer to use nopox and I dont want to crash my system. I would of course start very cautiously maybe dosing like 0.2ml and see how it goes. Just wanted your thoughts on this and any opionions or tips you might have.

• 3 weeks later...