Coral Vue Hydros

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

That's a cool fish. I don't think I've ever seen a waspfish before (at first I thought red dragonet). What do you feed it? Does it take frozen stuff?

Yea I have a mated pair, they are really great with a ton of personality. I feed it frozen PE mysis, LRF nano, and frozen brine shrimp. they both are very active hunters when there is food in the aquarium.

• 1 month later...

Updates: I got back from a two week vacation a week ago (Dallas, New Orleans for Mardi Gras, Atlanta) to a relatively preserved tank (mild algae outbreak, missing jawfish  -found dead on floor a by maid and thrown in trash). It is strange, because the Artfully acrylic screen top was on the whole time....

I will likely order another pair of jawfish from KP Aquatics when they become available again later this year. I really liked that fish. 

-------

Prior to my 5 gal water change on 3/9/17 my tested parameters were as follows:

NO3: 0.00 on Red Sea low range color wheel 

PO4: 0.13 on hanna low range test kit !!

Alk: 7.39 dKH

Ca: 563

Ph: 8.15 

My aquarium was fed every 2-3 days during my vacation, and I have fed it ever other since I returned on 3/5/17. 

Today I retested my NO3 and it was 0.00 again, so I dosed 4ml of KNO3 solution (1 Tbsp of spectracide stump remover in 2 cups of RODI water) to raise my system NO3 to 1ppm. I will test again tomorrow and redose. I am currently dosing 3ml of NOPOX a day, and I am hoping that if I dose KNO3, I can maintain the NOPOX dosing at current levels. I also decreased my Ca dosing by 1ml and increased my Alk dosing by 2 ml. 

** within two hours of raising my NO3, the vast majority of my corals are looking much healthier...

I just ordered a bottle of Vibrant Reef to see if it can help lower my PO4, I read a few really flattering reviews on Reef2Reef and decided to pull the trigger. Has anyone else used it? 

• Like 1

A lot of folks here have tried it and say it didn't do anything, or that the effects were more due to improved husbandry. But others have reported good results. I think the bottom line is "it depends on a lot of stuff". In my tank I've found it to be fairly effective against diatoms and other "filmy" algae, but I haven't seen dramatic results against anything else.

For the price, I think it's worth trying. I throw some in my tanks every couple of weeks just in case it helps.

In my FW 90g tank, on the other hand, it's been dramatically effective and has really transformed the tank. So there's definitely something to it.

Based on the product description, it seems to be nothing more than carbon dosing in a bottle, where they supply their own selected strain of bacteria.  I'm not convinced any particular strain is better than another, since similar results have been observed by plain old carbon dosing via vodka or vinegar. 

I did a 10 gal water change last night, physically removed all anemone parts I could find in the tank, added about 2 cups of GAC in media bags, added prime, and stability. This morning the water was clear and I could not see any overt signs of mass death, but my lights were

not on when I went to work a 6:30. My PH took a dive though. 

15 hours ago, William said:

Everything seems to have survived and my ph is back to its normal cycle.... luckily I corrected it in time 

Yay!

• Like 1

Updates:

i retested my Ca last night and it was 543, so I turned off my doser channel for it. My ALk is 8.26 dKH. I also retested my NO3 and it was 0.25 after dosing 3 ml of KNO3 solution the day before,  so I think I will continue to dose 3ml per day or ever other day. My corals seem to be much happier now that there is detectable NO3. My PO4 has also dropped to 0.04 frol 0.13. 

• Like 2

Well I came home last night and found my chalk bass dead on the sand..... was healthy and happy the day before..... not quite sure what happened.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey question if you added the second mp10 are they both mounted on the back walls on the outside of the weir and does it create any dead spots, cause I'm looking to add a second when I get some more money 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 11:35 PM, mtmurphy85 said:

Hey question if you added the second mp10 are they both mounted on the back walls on the outside of the weir and does it create any dead spots, cause I'm looking to add a second when I get some more money 

That is what I plan to do, but still have not done yet.... money is tight and I had to buy a new RODI unit 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been swamped with work and in the process of battening a terrible hair algae outbreak (help). The problem I am running into is that every time I drop my NO3 below 5 my corals start to look terrible, if I keep it above 2, the algae grows like crazy..... not really sure what to do. 

Alk 8.5

Ca 470 

No3 7ppm 

PO4 0.07 ppm 

i also added a jaebo SW-2 for added flow, which has made my gorgonia much happier. 

I will will most likely place a KPA order at the end of the month (CUC, ricordia, gorgs) but have to wait for the aquarium budget to recover (My aquarium budget renews quarterly) 

• 2 weeks later...

This tank is cursed, I forgot to close my windows Thursday when the temp was over 90 degrees, and I was on call at the hospital and could not go home to close them... my apex got up to 86 degrees. When I got home yesterday morning my setosa and Jedi mindtrick were bone white and very dead. All fish survived. The only good thing is that most of the hair algae also looks dead. 

I may invest in a chiller.... 

Just now, William said:

This tank is cursed, I forgot to close my windows Thursday when the temp was over 90 degrees, and I was on call at the hospital and could not go home to close them... my apex got up to 86 degrees. When I got home yesterday morning my setosa and Jedi mindtrick were bone white and very dead. All fish survived. The only good thing is that most of the hair algae also looks dead. 

I may invest in a chiller.... 

Yikes! I've been leaving my window AC on during the day to avoid this. I've had two incidents with overheating - one heater malfunction, one where we hadn't turned on the house AC in time. So many melted corals...

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Yikes! I've been leaving my window AC on during the day to avoid this. I've had two incidents with overheating - one heater malfunction, one where we hadn't turned on the house AC in time. So many melted corals...

I normally do the same, but was caught off guard by the warm weather. I ordered a aquarium cooling fan off amazon, but it may just be more economical for me to buy a small chiller for the aquarium as my electric bills last summer when I was running the AC 24/7 for the aquarium were around $250 a month 

• Like 1