Coral Vue Hydros

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

Actions taken:

4 gallon water change (all I have on hand)

I'm making 5 gallons die in the morning

One cap full of prime added to tank.

Turned the lime wood airstone I keep in my sump on (I uasually only turn it on at night)

Added 20ml of microbacter 7.

Nothing looks that bothered except the tank looks every so slightly cloudy and the snails are all at or slightly above the water line (this is what gave me a clue that something was wrong). I think it did it today as I got an Apex notification that my ph dropped from 8.15 to 7.85 and the drop started around noon. I set my doser to dose acropower at 11am

• Like 1

Everything so far is ok, my acros have majorly browned, and my Zoas and gorgonias are all closed up, but that is all so far. My skimmer is also pulling out a ton more than uasual. I did another 5 gal water change this am and will likely do another one tomorrow.

• Like 1

Dead:

2x Rock flower anemone

3-4 snails

Poor condition:

Mini maxi anemone

Frog spawn

Zoa/palys

I'm not quite sure what else I can do... my nitrates soaked up to 25 but no ammonia or nitrite .... I plan to do another 4 gal water change today....

• Like 1

The aquarium seems to have survived. My emerald crab molted as well (what I thought was the dead crab was actually the molt) and is now gigantic.

• Like 1

Oh bugger!

Id be rolling with daily water changes for a week or so, hang in there, there are worse things that could have been dosed at that rate..

^this. Daily water changes will probably help the most. You may still get an ammonia spike as things process, so keep an eye out for a mini-cycle. But hopefully you're through the worst of it already.

Sorry to hear about this - it's exactly what I did with my 4g tank, only I dumped alkalinity solution continuously overnight and there was no recovery.

• Like 1

^this. Daily water changes will probably help the most. You may still get an ammonia spike as things process, so keep an eye out for a mini-cycle. But hopefully you're through the worst of it already.

Sorry to hear about this - it's exactly what I did with my 4g tank, only I dumped alkalinity solution continuously overnight and there was no recovery.

I never had an ammonia spike (I dosed prime when I discovered that I overdosed the acropower) and I think my Marinepure block and NOPOX helped as well.

One good outcome: my bleached birds nest has now fully recovered.

• Like 3

Water Test 10/11/16:

Ca: 480 ppm

PO4: 0.1 ppm

Alk: 144 ppm, 8.06 dKH

Mg: 1440 ppm

NO3: 4 ppm

Im not sure why my calcium increased to this degree, but i decreased it from 12ml/day to 9ml/day, and increased Alk to 11ml/day from 9. Im also not sure why my magnesium is as high as it is... i do not dose it.

keep it up with teh WC. Rooting for you!

I did another 4 gal one yesterday, and my skimmer is pulling out a ton of skimmate. I don't think I will do one today or tomorrow as I think I am over the worst of it and I have already done 6 4gal water changes.

• Like 1

My order from KP Aquatics came in today and everything looks great so far:

Corals:

• Corky sea finger - Briareum asbestinum
  • Spiny Orange Sea Rod - Murices elongata
  • Lime green warty corallimorph - Discosoma sanctithomae
  • Blue Ricordia florida
  • Fluorescent green Zoanthid
  • Lime green Ricordia florida
Fish
  • Pike Blenny - Chaenopsis limbaughi
  • Yellowhead Jawfish - Opistognathus aurifrons
  • Chalk Bass - Serranus tortugarum
Inverts:
  • Blue porcelain crab (very iridescent blue)
  • Basket Starfish - Astrophyton muricatum
  • Red brittle starfish
  • Red Snapping Shrimp
  • Anemone Shrimp - spotted cleaner
  • Feather duster

The pike Blenny is sooooo cute, but is beyond small (about 2mm wide and 4 cm long)

I will post pictures eventually...

• Like 2

can't wait to see the pics!

Could you tell me how loud the skimmer is? Think you have it for a few weeks right now and i presume the skimmer is working properly.

Thx!

can't wait to see the pics!

Could you tell me how loud the skimmer is? Think you have it for a few weeks right now and i presume the skimmer is working properly.

Thx!

The skimmer is almost silent (I HSB to open the cabinet door to hear it) and it works wonderfully.

So have to ask, is that A Pharaoh or Cirneco in your profile photo? ( I cant tell the size from the photo)

Pharaoh Hound, and the doser failed because I plugged it into one of the apex EB8 plugs that is less precise with current.

They are neat dogs.

Pharaoh Hound, and the doser failed because I plugged it into one of the apex EB8 plugs that is less precise with current.

They are neat dogs.

Yea he is amazing, he lives with my parents in Texas now, as he did not do well after the move to NYC.

I have thought about getting a Cirneco though.... they seem to be great dogs as well.

I wonder about having one in an apartment. A cernico would likely do better as an apartment dog. Have a friend who had one in Manhatten along with several IGs

I am trying to figure out a way to take better pictures with my iPhone 7 camera. The one i take never look as good as what i see in real life.

Updates:

• Red Bandtail Waspfish: he is becoming very active and will follow me around the aquarium jumping up and down on the front glass like a puppy. He has also finally started perching on the rockwork. up until recently, he would only stay on the sand.
  • Radial filefish: they are starting to visibly grow larger (they were so tiny when I got them). They love all of the new gorgonians i have added recently and they are really displaying their radial markings much more vividly than in the past.
  • Pike Blenny: i still have yet to see him/her eat but he/she is very active and has made a "pit" in the sand right by the glass. for such a small fish he/she stand her ground very well against the waspfish. This fish is way under appreciated and should would be a great fish for a nano/pico aquarium. I need to research and see if i have a male or a female, as i would love to have a pair. This fish would be an ideal candidate for an IM fusion 10 or Fluval spec V or EVO 13.5
  • Yellow Head Jawfish: He/she has made a burrow under the rock on the front right and seems to be doing well. I have seen him/her eat one piece of brine ship as I fed the aquarium today. I was worried for the first few days as he/she kept trying to make a burrow in the shallowest part of the sand next to the glass, and was obviously stressed.
  • Chalk Bass: he/she has been somewhat timid but will come out for food and when i am not near the aquarium. IT is a very pretty fish and one that I feel is also under appreciated.
  • Red Snapping Shrimp: upon planning him into the aquarium he went directly for my blue mini-maxi anemone and built a burrow under the rock it is attached to. I often hear him snapping and i have seen a couple of hermit crab legs near his burrows. He will come out and accept food from a forceps.
  • Spotted Clear Anemone Shrimp: has taken to hosting in all of my anemones as some point over the past few days, but has settled on the big white/green RFA int he front.
  • Basket Starfish: has taken to living in the purple sea whips that are on the right of the aquarium. It is active at night and I have been target feeding it at night.
  • Blue Porcelain Crab: This crab is extremely blue, I have not seen anything like it. It seems to be doing well and aggressively filter feeds when I feed the aquarium.
  • Emerald Crab: This guy is gigantic, I am debating trading him in at my LFS for a smaller one. I do really love his personality and so far he has not harmed anyting.
  • Gorgonians from KP Aquatics: while they were smaller than the ones i received from www.live-plants.com, they were very healthy and IMO have slightly better coloration. The orange spine sea rod is more like a bright burnt orange, which is a nice addition.

Hopefully i will be able to take some good pictures of them some time soon.

• Like 1