Pod Your Reef

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

Awesome build thread. I love the pictures of the waspfish! My next tank will be a red sea reefer hopefully. Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks and will do. So I will prob order some new livestock next week as I'm off on Wednesday,. Niw i just have to decide what fish to buy. I updated my potiential fish list on the first post, and if i order from KP Aquatics I'll likely get a chalk bass and maybe a jaw fish, but I thought I would ask you guys if you had any suggestions. ?

• Like 1

Updates: I got my Artfully Acrylic screen top in today and I have to say that I'm a bit unimpressed. There were multiple areas where there were rough or jagged polycarbonate along the edges and one area where it appears there was a crack d4c0903a5d2dfea41e5542784a752da6.jpg

It still looks like it is made very well,

but I do not feel the product I received warrants the $140 + shipping I paid for it.

In other news I also received my replacement gorgonian order from Gulf Coast Ecosystems (www.live-plants.com) and I have to say they look amazing on arrival. The only worry I have at present is that they are too large for my aquarium. Here are some picture of them freshly in the aquarium and tentative placement (any advice?).

3ef45936de60f433bae89ba611fc7594.jpg1edca6647bdd436973cc8b754bf7dd98.jpg1c92a43c13d0df4ff5f6c307e0376cf5.jpg

• Like 4

Gorgonians look amazing. Are you going to add some leathers?

Your numbers seem fine to me, I run calcium at about 390-415 and I have an SPS dominant tank with large colonies.

I haven't decided yet, I haven't been a big fan of leathers in the past.... but I have seen a few amazingly colorful ones that I might add if I can get ahold of them. I know there are a few types of tree coral that I might add as well. Adding the gorgonians today made me realize how little real estate I have, so I'm going to have to plan coral purchases much more strictly. Right now I plan to restrict the top left corner to SPS (may order some soon), and I would like to get some Paly/Zoa/Ricardia to cover the white bases of the gorgonia.

Agree, CA can be lower as you do not have many hard corals....but a little higher is fine.

you can trim gorgs with simple cut and sell or "re-plant" the trimmings.

I'm going to try and keep my Ca around. 420 as I want to keep up good coralline growth and I want my few sps to grow as well. I think I will trim some of the gorgs in a week or so, once they settle in.

I will also need to get an iodine test kit and start supplementation, as well as a mag kit and higher resolution Alk and NO3 kits.

abf9fd57d3b0ebdf1d0c62c1e5741caa.jpg

• Like 1

Strongly advise against tree corals. Their survivability is zero. You have to flood feed constantly for NPS corals. That means water quality is compromised just thinking about it. Magnetic stirrer for refrigerated foods, fed by dosers.....

If I am misunderstanding you and you actually mean leather tree corals then my apologies. My comments are for carnations and similar NPS.

Strongly advise against tree corals. Their survivability is zero. You have to flood feed constantly for NPS corals. That means water quality is compromised just thinking about it. Magnetic stirrer for refrigerated foods, fed by dosers.....

If I am misunderstanding you and you actually mean leather tree corals then my apologies. My comments are for carnations and similar NPS.

not carnations, I'm talking about the photosynthetic tree corals

• Like 1

Love chalk bass. They have lots of color, personality, tend to shoal a bit and eat anything you feed. I would urge you to be careful with them though. All the ones I have seen seem to have some type of ailment. I have a theory that since they are cheap and aren't territorial they are often kept together in large groups. I think having so many close together makes them more likely to have health issues, so definitely quarantine them if you choose to add some. I do have a question about your nopox dosing. Currently I dose 3ml per day by hand. I was thinking of getting the jebao doser also. Is the doser accurate enough to add say 1ml every 8 hours? Have you had any issues dosing the nopox?

Love chalk bass. They have lots of color, personality, tend to shoal a bit and eat anything you feed. I would urge you to be careful with them though. All the ones I have seen seem to have some type of ailment. I have a theory that since they are cheap and aren't territorial they are often kept together in large groups. I think having so many close together makes them more likely to have health issues, so definitely quarantine them if you choose to add some. I do have a question about your nopox dosing. Currently I dose 3ml per day by hand. I was thinking of getting the jebao doser also. Is the doser accurate enough to add say 1ml every 8 hours? Have you had any issues dosing the nopox?

The doser is more accurate at higher doses, I dose 4ML and found that when I do it all at once I get 4ML +/- 0.1ML if I do 4x1ML I get 3.6-4.5 mL. So I try to limit all of my dosing to 1-2 times per day.

• Like 1

Also, I have some bad news, one of the gorgs I got yesterday seems to have had massive tissue loss overnight :-(. The bag it came in was somewhat murky, but I thought it was doing

Well. It was shipped 2-day, so maybe that had something to do with it ....

Also, I have some bad news, one of the gorgs I got yesterday seems to have had massive tissue loss overnight :-(. The bag it came in was somewhat murky, but I thought it was doing

Well. It was shipped 2-day, so maybe that had something to do with it ....

I have had the same issue with gorgonians that were shipped next day. Some are just more tolerant than others. I just got a shipment a few weeks ago and have one that is now just a skeleton.....all the tissue is now gone....

I have had the same issue with gorgonians that were shipped next day. Some are just more tolerant than others. I just got a shipment a few weeks ago and have one that is now just a skeleton.....all the tissue is now gone....

It was my favorite one too... the candelabra ... I'm going to place a KP aquatic order soon and will try and get one from them

The gorgs look great - I don't think they're too big, they just look well grown in. But if they get too big as they grow, you can always make frags for the rest of us :)

• Like 1

The gorgs look great - I don't think they're too big, they just look well grown in. But if they get too big as they grow, you can always make frags for the rest of us :)

I would be happy to ?, the one in the middle in the last pic is likely dead so I'll pull it out soon and will order some more from KP aquatics in a couple of weeks (my aquarium budget for the month has been exhausted).

In addition to my livestock purchases today, I went ahead and bought an Aquamax WS-1 protein skimmer from marine depot. I may run it in addition to my Icecap K2-50.

Lastly, I'm starting to really regret not getting the RSR 170..... my nano seems smaller and smaller each day

• Like 3

Lastly, I'm starting to really regret not getting the RSR 170..... my nano seems smaller and smaller each day

Well I started with a Fusion 20.........then got a Versa 42.......never set it up :lol: and am now filling a 40 breeder that is a temporary tank until I get my OBD 48x30 set up........its never ending ;) Plus I have a fusion 10 and 30 going in the house now.

• Like 1

Wel I have to say that I am fairly pissed with NYAquatic, the Fu Manchu lion they sent me is closer to 4.5" instead of the three that they quoted me, appears to have a chewed off tail, and likely has a swim bladder infection.... I'm debating if I should even place it in my aquarium (I do t have room for a full QT tank in my apt.) right now it is sitting in a 3 gal buck acclimating with prazipro, an air stone, and a heater....?

Anyone in the NYC area with a QT tank mind treating this fish? I would be happy to compensate

21a3e17311c10b5e8a81d7a903ef1197.jpg

2d1e8c270869b66ba69e766b174a16cd.jpg

bdfeff4d9b9b06eabe5bdb8789ae2928.jpg

I'm sorry about that fish, it looked hurt with that tail being all chewed up. How is it doing?

The candelebra gorgonian should grow flesh back, just give it time.

The gorgonia is already growing flesh back (I'm glad I did not toss it) and the fish is in critical/serious condition. I movd it to my sump as I was worried it would find its way into the Maxi carpet anemone. This is the response I got from NYAquatic b61aba6d292581857dce7826a213e409.jpg