SaltCritters.com

William's Red Sea Reefer Nano - The Final Countdown

William

Tank is looking amazing (per protocol) and that eel is beyond cool. Like really cool. What is it's personality like? Will it interact with you? Really makes me want to upgrade to just a slightly bigger tank to get one...

BTW, this needs to be TOTM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DaveFason said:

The FW tank is looking lovely. Do you have any issues being close to the window?

Dave, I had a ton of issues in the beginning (green slime algae and brown brush algae). I think this was mostly due to poor equipment. I have now switched from a cheap fluval CO2 system to a bucceplant regulator and have had much better success. I also added a Twinstar M3 algae remover (I’m not actually sure how it works ) and have noticed quite a difference. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Cannedfish said:

Tank is looking amazing (per protocol) and that eel is beyond cool. Like really cool. What is it's personality like? Will it interact with you? Really makes me want to upgrade to just a slightly bigger tank to get one...

BTW, this needs to be TOTM.

Thank!

and I have found that the less I “mess” with the tank the better it does.  The Eel is very outgoing and will extend 7-8” out into the tank when he sees me (he is about 9” long). He is peaceful to his tank mates and has not shown aggression to any of the imverts in my aquarium so far. 

• Like 2

Some updates tank pics and a video to follow. 

F5022880-7A8D-4D39-B67F-2D54D62B69AE.jpeg

3918919A-0CC7-4387-BC68-B48540142468.jpeg

As as you can see I need to do a water change soo , having some diatoms (May also need to change out my RO membrane) 

I also noticed some stringy poop coming out of my aptasia eating filefish, so I decided to treat the tank with Prazipro 

• Like 3

Here is an updated pic of my freshwater pico for those who are interested. 

I ended up pulling out the dwarf hair grass, could not seem to be able to get rid of the algae in it. 

C9BA616B-C109-4459-81E5-54C5A34B49D3.jpeg

9D645461-9D81-4BCA-9CA8-A8A224FCACBD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 4:55 PM, William said:

Just created a new Instagram for all of my aquatic (reef and planted) interests. Add me if you want to follow along with my builds. @wills_reefs 

How did I not know about this thread @William? 😄

The tank looks great and that eel is awesome!

Just followed you on IG also. 

• Like 1

My freshwater tank is having an algae outbreak, and for some reason my betta’s scales are turning black..... so far this freshwater tank has been a lot More work than my reed tank... 

D84413FA-B77F-4197-9C27-9941B781BF0E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some updates:

my waspfish has gone missing 😕. I have had him for almost three years so it could be old age or the snapping shrimp could have gotten him. 

My aptasia eating filefish has grown a taste for rock flower anemones ... (I’m so happy 😡

and I finally tested my water and my calcium has been staying at around 300 for the last 3 months... (was using an expired test kit before).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vlangel said:

Does your aiptasia eating filefish eat aiptasia or just RFAs and brittle stars?  Maybe it ate the wasp fish too? Jk

Not really.... and to be honest, it wouldn’t surprise me..... I thought nothing ate brittle stars ...

• Haha 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Aquarium is set up and cycling in my new apt, I have to be out of my old apt on Friday so plan to move all of the livestock over on Thursday 🤞🏻

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Everything is moved back into the RSR nano at my new apt; will need to work on the scape as I just put stuff in there fornow. 

• Like 1